Barcelona Hotels

joehick

We started with shortlist of places mentioned positively on this thread.

Checked locations (all good). Cross-referenced Tripadvisor reviews (removed several - reports of it being noisy and, in one case, mentions of steps in the room). Checked price for our two nights pre-cruise (deleted one as being well over what we wanted to pay). Left us with three. This afternoon, booked the Avenida Palace as looked like the best bet for us.

My thanks to all for the help you unknowingly gave us. CC is a great planning resource.

John

• Like 1

Thank you to all for your input.  We have booked our night at H10 Catalunya.  Will use Aerobus to get to the airport.  Can anyone share experience and advice on how best to get to hotel from port?  Thanks in advance!!

Ken

28 minutes ago, RBAlbany said:

Thank you to all for your input.  We have booked our night at H10 Catalunya.  Will use Aerobus to get to the airport.  Can anyone share experience and advice on how best to get to hotel from port?  Thanks in advance!!

Ken

Taxi.

We are staying at the H10 Catalunya Plaza when we fly to Barcelona. In asking about options for getting from the airport to the Catalunya Plaza (where our hotel is), several people recommended the Aerobus. It looks pretty simple to do but I have another question about luggage storage in the bus. DH and I will both have a large rolling suitcase plus a backpack as we are going on a 2 week cruise from Barcelona. Does the Aerobus have a place to store luggage in a compartment under the bus? I’ve been told there is a space for luggage inside the bus in sort of a “luggage corral” (for lack of a better description) but I am a little concerned with having to carry our big suitcases up the steps into the bus and then down an aisle to the storage place. Any tips or advice from those who have used the Aerobus? Thanks in advance for your help.

• Like 1

These days we travel with carry on only. I do remember there are places on the bus for storage. This time in November we will be bringing a large empty suitcase so I can shop. Do your best to bring as little luggage as possible. On our last cruise in March several of our friends had their luggage lost. Some had it arrive a week later, some are still waiting.

This is a different world of travel. Cruising has become very casual, with easy access to laundry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I should add, we did this in November, 20 days, in March 14 days..

No need for luggage. It's amazing how freeing it feels with just two carryon s and two knapsack.

We will never again travel with suitcases. Our empty one for next Nov, will be easy on the way to Barcelona,  with some purchases getting it home hopefully or eventually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, jss5200 said:

We are staying at the H10 Catalunya Plaza when we fly to Barcelona. In asking about options for getting from the airport to the Catalunya Plaza (where our hotel is), several people recommended the Aerobus. It looks pretty simple to do but I have another question about luggage storage in the bus. DH and I will both have a large rolling suitcase plus a backpack as we are going on a 2 week cruise from Barcelona. Does the Aerobus have a place to store luggage in a compartment under the bus? I’ve been told there is a space for luggage inside the bus in sort of a “luggage corral” (for lack of a better description) but I am a little concerned with having to carry our big suitcases up the steps into the bus and then down an aisle to the storage place. Any tips or advice from those who have used the Aerobus? Thanks in advance for your help.

Also wondering about specifics on luggage and the Aerobus.  Thanks.  For us from hotel to airport though.  Also, about how long does it take.  We have a 11:15AM flight.  I'm figuring an early breakfast and catch the bus around 8.  Thoughts??  To early??

Ah I just re read your post, you are going from hotel to airport, not pier...

In that case,  the bus is much cheaper. A taxi would be around 50 e.

Just get the early times of the bus, location is at the Catalunya plaza and prepay it.

4 hours ago, RBAlbany said:

I assume there will be plenty of them right there at the dock after we go through everything.  Any idea on cost?  Set price?  Anything to avoid?  

About 10-12 euros. 

Taxi drivers generally know enough English to get you where you are going.  Just in case, write down the name and address of the hotel on a piece of paper.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 8:51 AM, RBAlbany said:

Arriving in Barcelona after a Princess cruise on 9/9.  Looking to book a hotel for the night before flying home the next day.  Like to see a little and get a feel of Barcelona that day we arrive.  Have read through the pages here.  Great information.  I had been planning on Royal Passeig de Garcia hotel.  Now not so sure.  One of my concerns is economical transport from port to hotel, and hotel to airport. Thanks to these pages I am now aware of Aerobus.

I am liking the Continental Palacetta and H10 Catalunya Plaza options.  Does Aerobus service both?  We have a noon flight.  Is one better than the other for getting a flavor of Barcelona?  We were in the Las Ramblas area for a night our last time in Barcelona.  What are some tips on getting from the port to the hotel.  I look forward hearing what everyone has to share.

Ken

We are at the Continental Palacete too. Best combination of location, price and amenities. We need two rooms so cost is definitely a factor for us. Plus, we are there in August which is such an expensive time in Barecelona for hotels. 

What did you decide?

Stephanie

Looking for a pre-cruise Barcelona hotel, probably for 2 nights.  I've got status with Hyatt and Marriott, so I like to stay at their properties when possible.  Any feedback, good or bad, on these options?  We don't need high-end luxury - just a nice, comfortable hotel that's convenient to transportation and sights.  Thanks!

Hyatt:

Hotel Bagues

Grand Hotel Central

Wittmore Hotel

Claris Hotel & Spa

Marriott:

Le Meridien Barcelona

Cotton House

Renaissance Barcelona

The Barcelona EDITION

AC Hotel Irla

Hotel Arts Barcelona

W Barcelona

Just got back late Monday night...Again stayed at H10 Catalunya Plaza both pre- and post-cruise.  Still absolutely love it.  We signed up for the H10 loyalty club (no cost, easy), so they throw in free daily breakfast--one of the best hotel breakfasts anywhere--buffet with meats, cheeses, pastries, croissants, donuts, fruit, juices, etc.  plus included menu with omelets, cereals, pancakes, waffles, etc. made to order all in very nice and spacious room...and they throw in a free "welcome cocktail" of your choice at the hotel bar...and, they deliver to the room a half-liter bottle of wine, a box of chocolate truffles, some other chocolate crunchy treats...and, at the lobby, they have free welcome champagne, nuts and M&M type candies and some jelly candies...and, on the "P" level, they have a free coffee/capuccino/espresso machine and, for several hours each day, pastries, sandwiches, etc..  You really can't ask for much more out of a hotel.  And, again, the location is the best in Barcelona--right on the Placa!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 12:34 PM, jonthomas said:

Yes we use the bus from the airport...good service and inexpensive...

So no one has found a hotel that is as cheap as continental palacette but better?

Hello, does the bus mind that people have their luggage with them?  

Also, how about Hotel Colon before cruise?

Thank you, 

Julie

10 minutes ago, 6leafclover said:

Hello, does the bus mind that people have their luggage with them?  

The Aerobus is set up for people traveling to and from the airport--WITH LUGGAGE.  There is a luggage area on the bus.

• Like 3

We are newbies for flying over the pond.  If our plane is due to arrive at 9:00 AM in Barcelona, how long does it take before we're at the taxi stand with our luggage?  If the hotel (H10 CP) has a 3PM check in time, should we change to a later flight?  

We just did an east-bound TA on the Norwegian Epic out of NY that disembarked in BCN last Sunday morning, and booked a 2 nights post-cruise stay at the H10 Casanova, it isn't far from La Ramblas, further away from CP nearby (more NE of H10 C) - on a busy street, the AeroBus stop #1 in the city is about 3 blocks to our south - manageable if you pack & travel light and don't mind the walking - do stop & look, obey traffic lights. 

H10 is a chain of boutique hotels rooted in Spain, with locations in other cities & countries abroad, including some of the popular Caribbean places - which we haven't heard of and know about until this year ... we typically stay in Marriott branded properties in the US, but will go with Holiday Inns, Ramada in secondary cities & towns on road trips.  Before your reserve your upcoming rooms in BCN, sign-up for free with their H10 Club, as it will get you at least 5% discount on rooms - currently promo get us 15% off the rack rate, and a little extra welcome treat upon checking in.  

With 3 travelers, we booked one of the Deluxe Room with 3 beds (converted sofabed) - base rates + taxes/surcharges come to about 220 Euros per night, plus an extra city occupancy tax at 5 Euros p/p per night, up to 7 nights collected at check-in.  Rates are less for 2 guests and varied by season  or time of the year.  Lowest rates is non-refunable/allow for 1 free change, ours can be cancelled up to 24/48 hours prior to date of arrival - without breakfast ... you can walk out of the hotel, around the corner & across the traffic light to find cafe/coffee places with a basic breakfast for 3 to 5 Euros, inexpensive.  There are a # of 24/7 mini marts or markets (more than your 7-11's in the US or gas station/truck stop convenience store) for milk, juice, soda, alcoholic beverages, bread, and other everyday living needs - 1.5 liter bottled water for 1 Euros ... tap water is drinkable but said to taste odd & perfectly safe.  

Default check-in time is 3 pm with check-out at 12 noon, but if you arrive early, bell hop or front desk can store your luggage while you go explore, sightsee & find a place for tapas and lunch nearby.  Our room was on the 3/F facing the interior courtyard and very quiet, tall ceilings and a pretty big, nice & comfortable bathroom with both a tub and rainforest shower, stocked with clean towels & complimentary toiletries for 3 (toothbrush, shower caps, shoe polishing foam & shaving kit, etc.) plus 2 free 1 liter bottled water in the room, deluxe coffee maker & pods - bonus.  You also will get a complimentary voucher to redeem to a welcome drink plus a welcome gift, small box of chocolate - 4 pieces, as a H10 member-at-large.  Housekeeping services provided daily.  

Look it up on Google Map in relation of where you wanted to be, sightseeing plans, and whether getting to the cruise port or airport is more important, or both.  Just outside & across the street is the nearest taxi stand (you can also book or request one using the free Cabify app - Uber's equivalent/counterpart).  Fares from hotel to BCN Airport was metered & came to just under 33 Euros on a busy weekday morning, once on the highway/freeway leading out of the city, traffic moved along nicely at 80 or 90 km.  Fares to/from the cruise port is less, probably no more than 13 to 15 Euros.  

Do check out & price compare other H10 hotels nearby and in other sections or quarters of the city.  

PXL_20230507_135916846.thumb.jpg.90e735f0ea6263027de8a54b9d3adc0c.jpg

PXL_20230507_135913933.thumb.jpg.024fc82cc9db62f79524d48066573cfa.jpg

PXL_20230507_200755106.thumb.jpg.631c4debe78f64674b380b9cc568ef5c.jpg

PXL_20230508_184138447.thumb.jpg.8e3c4de202c527221138b90832c65947.jpg

PXL_20230508_184034926.thumb.jpg.f3556f1d6dda9ddd69ee63df98e56eea.jpg

PXL_20230507_201000782.thumb.jpg.433c1cf41cd5c3497f0efbea1e131fd2.jpg

PXL_20230508_142106076.thumb.jpg.797a3e5acadf2aa76fb453e9ab7ecbe8.jpg

PXL_20230508_142119801.thumb.jpg.71ccb2942d44982bd26b15f0ab31d8ab.jpg

PXL_20230508_142128722.thumb.jpg.2c0490961d02fee60150089907f8bc5b.jpg

PXL_20230508_142139006.thumb.jpg.0fb5942c66db81486436e60c5a9017e6.jpg

PXL_20230507_162044976.jpg

PXL_20230507_172834255.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.7d90c9a3d5177d7933327482eae53ec9.jpg

PXL_20230507_175711009.thumb.jpg.f6af0a9ea96de38908428896686f6124.jpg

PXL_20230507_160935773.thumb.jpg.ea088ffd673febb3a8cb8ff70f35f6ca.jpg

PXL_20230507_172643045.thumb.jpg.28be0220b1e87a74c395ada07ee8d1ff.jpg

PXL_20230507_172717390.thumb.jpg.7f0b10eda3dfcd9a8a401bb8600f2c7c.jpg

Places to eat around the corners, across the streets, including multiple 24/7 mini marts.  Santander Bank's nearest branch/ATM location is 2 blocks south on the main road where buses run along - that's where we got our foreign currency directly from, with a 7 Euros charge.  These are real Tapas prices around this area with the university nearby, priced for locals in generous portions, not aimed at tourists - when it doubt, ask for suggestions or just point or click ... or Google Translate Live

PXL_20230508_1342379491.thumb.jpg.dfe02bffe43cdafe960ec5f58795d158.jpg

PXL_20230507_200417191.jpg

PXL_20230507_140608524.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4