Doing the Prague Extension on Our Own?

TriMomma

There are four of us planning a Danube river cruise with Emerald in Oct 2023.   My question is, do you recommend adding the Prague land extension with the cruise line or do it on our own?  I love planning, so am not worried about that part.... just wondering what others have experienced.  

38 minutes ago, TriMomma said:

There are four of us planning a Danube river cruise with Emerald in Oct 2023.   My question is, do you recommend adding the Prague land extension with the cruise line or do it on our own?  I love planning, so am not worried about that part.... just wondering what others have experienced.  

You don't mention from what city you will need to travel from or to as part of your Prague extension. However... typically any pre or post cruise extension put on by the cruise lines involve simply being bussed directly to or from Prague. While doing on your own will allow for much more flexibility along the way to make planned and even better, unplanned stops to see the sites. I've assumed you would drive yourselves. Though even if by train it is a better trip.

The DW and I drove from Budapest to Prague via Bratislava with a side daytrip to Cesky Krumlov several years back and had a wonderful time. Drove first to Bratislava and stayed overnight. Rose earlier the next morning and made our way to Cesky Krumlov (4 hour drive) for most of the day and finally drove on to Prague, roughly 2 hours away. We spent 3 nights in Prague before flying back to the states. 

Edited by Haqdeluxe
  • Like 1

We are looking at a cruise that ends in Regensburg.   

I like the idea of having a little flexibility.  I think they are asking a lot of money for a bus to Prague and hotel for three nights.   I think I could plan my own itinerary for at least that amount of money and see a whole lot more along the way.   

57 minutes ago, TriMomma said:

I like the idea of having a little flexibility.  I think they are asking a lot of money for a bus to Prague and hotel for three nights.   I think I could plan my own itinerary for at least that amount of money and see a whole lot more along the way.   

Cruise line pre-/post-extensions are expensive compared to what you could do on your own.  But depending on your travel experience, language skills, and appetite for risk/adventure – many people find that they provide value.  

I don't have experience with Emerald, but the river cruise extensions I have researched involve a few more things than you mention, most importantly a trip director who accompanies the group and makes sure everything runs smoothly.

On our first river cruise we took AMA's post-extension from Basel to Lucerne and Zurich.  This is easy to DIY with the good Swiss trains – but we would have missed all the sightseeing AMA included on the coach transfers to both cities, and the guide accompanied us into the Zurich airport to make sure we got on the right line for check-in [which would have been confusing without the help].  So we felt that we got good value on that one.  But we haven't done it again because we now feel more comfortable getting around Europe on our own.

2 hours ago, TriMomma said:

If you're used to DIY, then yes you can almost certainly do more, and pay less. We've visited Prague on our own, not from a river cruise. Pretty easy to do, and the public transport was easy to use to get around. Have fun!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

If you're used to DIY, then yes you can almost certainly do more, and pay less. We've visited Prague on our own, not from a river cruise. Pretty easy to do, and the public transport was easy to use to get around. Have fun!

Yes, without a doubt, the subway and tram systems in Prague are both excellent and easy to navigate. See the required sites in the old town area and venture out as there is many interesting things to see. Please be leary of the taxi cabs. Especially at night. 

We did the Prague pre extension and when we added it up it did not seem as pricey as we first thought since it included the transportation to the ship, transfer from the airport, breakfast.  Yes, it was still more expensive but the convenience worth something, I'm sure that others would disagree.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2022 at 10:51 AM, TriMomma said:

We did Prague as a pre-trip stop prior to our Danube cruise in October 2021.  Prague is an easy city to navigate on your own if you have some experience in European travel.  The public transportation is excellent and tram #22 will take you to all the notable tourist sites.  (If you or anyone in your party are over 70 years of age, public transit is free--just carry your passport as proof of eligibility in case you encounter an inspector.)  Central Prague (both sides of the river) is also very walkable.

We also just spent two nights in Prague at the end of a "Christmas on the Elbe" cruisetour with Viking.  They used the Marriott, which is very close to a subway and metro station in Republic Square and a 10-minute walk to Old Town Square.  We replicated an optional tour to Prague castle plus a concert at the Lobkowitz Palace using public transportion for about half the cost Viking wanted.  It was very easy and we didn't feel we missed anything by not having a guide and could spend our time exactly as we wanted, not dependent on a group.

The only word of caution would be if you choose to take the train to reach Prague.  The station does not seem to have elevators to reach the platforms (or at least all the platforms) so you need to ensure you can carry your luggage up the stairs from the platform to the station.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:05 PM, mskaufman said:

We did the Prague pre extension and when we added it up it did not seem as pricey as we first thought since it included the transportation to the ship, transfer from the airport, breakfast.  Yes, it was still more expensive but the convenience worth something, I'm sure that others would disagree.

I actually agree with you...

We are experienced river cruisers, and almost always add extra days on at the beginning and/or end of the cruise.  But, Prague is one I would seriously consider doing with the cruise line. Our 1st time there was after a cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg --> and I felt that the extra cost was worth the convenience of not having to plan the transfer and the hotel.  We stopped in Karlova Vary on the way  - so we got "more" than just the transfer and the hotel.  We also did have a couple of tours with guides provided... so a good choice IMHO.

Fran

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 2:24 PM, TriMomma said:

Hi, we will be doing the same thing in September and I’m trying to figure out the transportation from Regensburg to Prague? We’re doing the  Romantic Danube from Budapest to Regensburg  on September 9th / 16th.  I have seen postings of a private group that will do a stop along the way at Cesky Krumlov . Does anyone know the name of it? This is the link for transportation from Passat to Prague https://www.private-prague-guide.com/passau-cesky-krumlov-prague-tours/ 

We had this booked back during Covid so this is our attempt at trying it again with very dear and close friends. There will be four of us.Thank you For any insight. Pat

20 hours ago, smithp7 said:

Hi, we will be doing the same thing in September and I’m trying to figure out the transportation from Regensburg to Prague? We’re doing the  Romantic Danube from Budapest to Regensburg  on September 9th / 16th.  I have seen postings of a private group that will do a stop along the way at Cesky Krumlov . Does anyone know the name of it? This is the link for transportation from Passat to Prague https://www.private-prague-guide.com/passau-cesky-krumlov-prague-tours/ 

We had this booked back during Covid so this is our attempt at trying it again with very dear and close friends. There will be four of us.Thank you For any insight. Pat

I found a link to a company that does that transfer. I hope it helps! https://www.praguetransport.com/services/regensburg-nuremberg-cruise-docks
Pat

See if the cruise line will let you purchase the transfer, but then do the hotel on your own.  AmaWaterways allowed us to do that.  We stayed at the Hilton Old Town, which was a very nice hotel and within walking distance of everything.

I've been to Prague about 7 times, going back for visit 8 in August 2024 in to start a Danube cruise with Avalon.  I always add at least 5 days on my own.  Prague is an amazing, beautiful city that is so easy to navigate on your own.  So much to see and do and so easy to walk or arrange tours.  Taste of Prague is an amazing food tour.  If you are into photography, I can recommend a great photographer that does tours.  I found a great AirBnB that overlooks the old square facing one of the churches and right around the corner from the Astronomical clock (can recommend that if you want as well).  We flew in and the AirBnB had a driver that picked us up.

2 hours ago, Rebel54 said:

I've been to Prague about 7 times, going back for visit 8 in August 2024 in to start a Danube cruise with Avalon.  I always add at least 5 days on my own.  Prague is an amazing, beautiful city that is so easy to navigate on your own.  So much to see and do and so easy to walk or arrange tours.  Taste of Prague is an amazing food tour.  If you are into photography, I can recommend a great photographer that does tours.  I found a great AirBnB that overlooks the old square facing one of the churches and right around the corner from the Astronomical clock (can recommend that if you want as well).  We flew in and the AirBnB had a driver that picked us up.

That sounds amazing. We'll be going in October with another couple and I'd love to check out the Airbnb you recommend. I will also check out the taste of Prague as well. Thank, Pat

This is where we stayed in 2016.  Great host.  Amazing location.  Loved waking up in the morning and enjoying my coffee sitting at the window. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1151056?source_impression_id=p3_1674320983_CHEEBo0xQ24NxQLO

Taste of Prague:  https://www.tasteofprague.com/

Also if you want to get some AMAZING photos while there...check out:  Johnny's Photo Tours:  https://www.facebook.com/JohnnysPraguePhotoTours

https://www.johnnyspraguetours.com/

Edited by Rebel54
Add links
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rebel54 said:

This is where we stayed in 2016.  Great host.  Amazing location.  Loved waking up in the morning and enjoying my coffee sitting at the window. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1151056?source_impression_id=p3_1674320983_CHEEBo0xQ24NxQLO

Also if you want to get some AMAZING photos while there...check out:  Johnny's Photo Tours:  https://www.facebook.com/JohnnysPraguePhotoTours

https://www.johnnyspraguetours.com/

Wow thank you so much! I will look into all of these:)

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2023 at 12:11 PM, Rebel54 said:

I'd definitely second Taste of Prague.  We did it in October 2021.  We also sent friends who were visiting Prague in October 2022 on the tour and they loved it as well.  The company also sends you restaurant and other recommendations for Prague, which we used on our repeat visit to Prague last December.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, TriMomma said:

We have decided to add Poland on our "land excursion" now and have rented a car.   Thanks for the tips!   I will keep you posted.   🙂

Where are you going in Poland?  We added Poland on after our Bucharest -->  Budapest cruise last fall.  We stayed in Krakow and Warsaw...  Great trip!!

Fran

On 7/25/2023 at 12:12 PM, TriMomma said:

Yes.... Krakow and Warsaw.   Any tips?

We stayed just outside but a short walk away from Old Town in Krakow.  There is lots of night life there so it can be a bit noisy in the evening.  One of the couples we travelled with did stay in the Old Town - a higher end hotel than we booked - and didn't mind the noise. We did a full day tour to Auschwitz/Birkenau and then the Salt Mines from Krakow as it is closer than if we did it from Warsaw. 

We did separate tours in Warsaw.  They did a typical tour there - old town, churches etc.  We found a smaller museum of communism close to our hotel - and the tour we booked was a little off the beaten path.  We travelled in old vehicles (my husband loved it!) and visited older sections of town that were not the typical tourist destinations.  We weren't pushing to get to Old Town (we didn't make it as there was something going on and traffic was so brutal we turned around...) as there is really nothing "old" about it.  It had all been destroyed in the war and rebuilt. We loved our tour - they loved theirs... All depends on what you are looking for.

Fran