Back From Tauck Yuletide Cruise - Amsterdam to Brussels

Roz

Hi all.  I'm going to be writing up a detailed review this weekend, but wanted to give you my initial thoughts.

I returned late afternoon on Tuesday as scheduled.  The saving grace was I flew direct from Heathrow to Nashville, bypassing the East Coast weather mess and of course I wasn't on SW.  I got up at 2:15 am so I could make the flight from Brussels to London, then had a 6.5 hr. layover at Heathrow.  It was a L-O-N-G day.  

This was my first Tauck cruise and it won't be my last.  Prior to this I took 3 river cruises with Uniworld.  I found the 2 lines to be more alike than different.  Service levels were the same.  I like Tauck's lowest category cabins better than Uniworld's, but I think Uniworld's food is better and there's more variety.  Tauck's "aquarium" class cabins have larger windows and are above the water line.  I will say Tauck's soups are outstanding and unique - cream of chestnut soup and mustard soup, for example.  

This was a Yuletide cruise, not a Christmas market cruise, so the focus was a bit different although we did have the opportunity to visit a couple of winter festivals in The Netherlands and a few Christmas festivals and markets in Belgium.  There was only one change to the itinerary that involved spending 2 overnights in Antwerp instead of one and then being bused to Brugges and Ghent.  I only visited Brugges as it was going to be too long of a day to do both.  

I spent 3 days pre-cruise in Amsterdam at the Doubletree Centraal Station.  Great hotel in a good location for cruisers and for getting around the city.  Wonderful service that reminded me of the way things used to be pre-Covid.   I pre-booked 2 activities.  On Sunday I took a morning tour of the Rijksmuseum and on Monday I did a food tour.  Enjoyed both immensely.  

There were probably about 15 passengers sailing solo like myself.  This was the first Christmas that I didn't spend either with family or by myself.  It was such a fun time that I want to go somewhere for Christmas from now on.  

If you have any questions while I'm writing up my review, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Roz said:

This was the first Christmas that I didn't spend either with family or by myself.  It was such a fun time that I want to go somewhere for Christmas from now on.  

Christmas traveling is the best! We just got back from London on Monday night. Glad that you had a nice trip, and a smooth return. Looking forward to hearing more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ritabob said:

Roz,  what made the trip a 'yuletide ' cruise, other than the time of year and a few Christmas markets?

RB 

The ship was decorated for Christmas, and there were special meals and activities such as a secret Santa gift exchange and tree decorating.  After Christmas dinner Santa brought gifts for the children onboard.  There were enrichment lectures on holiday customs in the Netherlands and Belgium. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:15 PM, Roz said:

This was my first Tauck cruise and it won't be my last.

I am delighted that, after all the setbacks in the last two years, you were able to go and that you very much enjoyed it! Sounds like a great Christmas experience that Tauck got together.

I am wondering how you liked the landscape. This was on rivers and canals but mostly in the relatively flat Netherlands and only slightly more hilly Belgium. Was it varied enough for you? Did you sail much during the day at all, i.e. did it seem more or less than Rhine and Danube or about the same?

notamermaid

• Like 1

@notamermaid, there was only one day when we had some daylight sailing.  I knew The Netherlands was at or below sea level and had reclaimed a lot of land from the sea.  There is water everywhere!  In fields, around homes, along roads, etc.  It was interesting.  

• Thanks 1

Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed Tauck. This is the line that most interests me right now.

My first river cruise - I remember doing a late shore excursion and then leaving for the airport at 3:30 in the morning. I didn't even bother going to sleep as I would have only has 2 hours or so. The things we do for travel 🙂 .

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3