Cruise Ending in Venice ?

LGW59

In late spring of 2023, my cruise ends in Venice/Trieste.  So looking forward to finally spending time in Venice.  We plan to spend 4 days after the cruise and in researching where to stay, I find an area called Santa Croce, looks to be off the beaten path but still within a 15/20 minute or so walk to San Marco area.  It's also very close to the train station so seems quite convenient.  Anyone have any experience staying in Santa Croce?  We are walkers for sure so we won't mind that at all but just wondered if anyone has personal experience using this as their Venice base.  TIA  

7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

In late spring of 2023, my cruise ends in Venice/Trieste.  So looking forward to finally spending time in Venice.  We plan to spend 4 days after the cruise and in researching where to stay, I find an area called Santa Croce, looks to be off the beaten path but still within a 15/20 minute or so walk to San Marco area.  It's also very close to the train station so seems quite convenient.  Anyone have any experience staying in Santa Croce?  We are walkers for sure so we won't mind that at all but just wondered if anyone has personal experience using this as their Venice base.  TIA  

How's your sense of direction? Venice is a confounding place for walking around unless you pay close attention. 

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

How's your sense of direction? Venice is a confounding place for walking around unless you pay close attention. 

LOL Mine is OK but my husband is an engineer and has the sense of direction like a blood hound.

I've stayed in Santa Croce a couple of times.  It's very convenient for transportation and is a welcome relief from the congestion around San Marco.  Just be prepared to carry your luggage up and over several sets of stairs over small canals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoPhilly said:

I've stayed in Santa Croce a couple of times.  It's very convenient for transportation and is a welcome relief from the congestion around San Marco.  Just be prepared to carry your luggage up and over several sets of stairs over small canals.

Thank you for the good intel on both fronts!  Found what looks to be a delightful small hotel that we will book.  

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I didn't get to stay there because Azamara moved our cruise to Ravenna, but my research had led me to this hotel close to the train station with views of a side canal and garden:

Hotel Santa Chiara

Thanks, looks like a lovely hotel and the location is great directly on one of the canals.  The idea of being outside of the bustling center in Venice is very appealing.

• Like 1