Scooter usage on board

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My DH had a scooter on a cruise due to an injury. We found lots of rude people that just don't move out of the way.  Which is probably why some scooter drivers lose patience and beep and holler.

Were those people who wouldn't "get out of the way" standing still, moving in the same direction, or going in the opposite direction?

1 minute ago, SargassoPirate said:

Were those people who wouldn't "get out of the way" standing still, moving in the same direction, or going in the opposite direction?

Ride a scooter on a cruise ship with thousands of passengers and you will have a new prospective.

Scooters do not maneuver like a person, this is why we have a whole new respect for people that must use on a daily basis.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Ride a scooter on a cruise ship with thousands of passengers and you will have a new prospective.

Scooters do not maneuver like a person, this is why we have a whole new respect for people that must use on a daily basis.   

I have cruised with a person using a scooter and thus my question about the people who wouldn't move out of your way.

When accompanying the scooter, I walked alongside.  If we encountered some slower walkers, we either slowed down to their pace or waited until there was an opportunity to pass.  

There is little on the ship that is worth getting in a big hurry for and may not be there in the extra few minutes it takes at a slower pace.

• Like 10

A while back we were on a cruise where the cabin next to us had a scooter.  Every night they would park it in front of our cabin door blocking us in.  We called the front desk to ask them to notify the cabin with the scooter not to park it there.  After the 3rd call to the front desk, we heard the old man in the cabin next door cursing about us and basically saying "where else am I supposed to park it."  The front desk  forced the room steward to move it every night from the front of our cabin door to theirs.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I have cruised with a person using a scooter and thus my question about the people who wouldn't move out of your way.

When accompanying the scooter, I walked alongside.  If we encountered some slower walkers, we either slowed down to their pace or waited until there was an opportunity to pass.  

There is little on the ship that is worth getting in a big hurry for and may not be there in the extra few minutes it takes at a slower pace.

As you accompanied someone on a scooter as I did you must have encountered some of the same obstacles we had.

Yes, of course, we would wait our turn to pass and slow down as needed.  That should be common courtesy for anyone.  Never said we were in a hurry to get anywhere.

For us, our sailing on Oasis had a very large group of people that simply would block up the walkways while chatting or taking constant photos.   A lot of passengers, not just scooter people, found this group to be very rude and ignorant of others. 

Elevators was a major challenge on this ship.   We frequently would be waiting for elevators for 10 or 15 minutes then a large family would walk up and jump on an empty elevator as though we didn't exist.  This would happen many nights at dinnertime. 

We have sailed 6 cruises this year and that sailing was our worst ever with Royal.  Thankfully it was our only cruise where DH needed a scooter.

• Like 2

On our last cruise, on 2 separate occasions, I experienced people grabbing an elevator in front of me when I had been the only one sitting there for awhile. As the door closed, I thanked them for taking my elevator (quietly hoping it would somehow get stuck). Most cruisers were courteous but most remembered are those who are not. When I first began using the scooter, I was a pretty bad driver and hit the wall or doorway a few times but never hit a person (thankfully)! If someone wasn't paying attention and blocking my way, sometimes others would say "just beep at them". I don't like using the beeper and it just sounds rude (only my opinion), so I would politely say "excuse me". I didn't consider my predicament a privilege for not waiting in line, going slow, etc., I didn't want to turn into a grouchy old lady on a scooter! There are those who grab elevators from waiting scooters, and there are some scooters that can get pretty mean too. Maybe all of us good Samaritans (like to think I am) can continue to set good examples! Happy cruising to all and cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need to use a scooter now, and I’ve determined though not technically a requirement to have one onboard, I will only book handicap staterooms or larger staterooms. A regular balcony is just too tight a squeeze and would require a lot of tough maneuvering. Also, it makes me nervous that the cruise line could deny my scooter if it’s deemed too big for a regular stateroom. Good luck!

On 1/2/2023 at 2:12 PM, SilkySal said:

On our last cruise, on 2 separate occasions, I experienced people grabbing an elevator in front of me when I had been the only one sitting there for awhile. As the door closed, I thanked them for taking my elevator (quietly hoping it would somehow get stuck). Most cruisers were courteous but most remembered are those who are not. When I first began using the scooter, I was a pretty bad driver and hit the wall or doorway a few times but never hit a person (thankfully)! If someone wasn't paying attention and blocking my way, sometimes others would say "just beep at them". I don't like using the beeper and it just sounds rude (only my opinion), so I would politely say "excuse me". I didn't consider my predicament a privilege for not waiting in line, going slow, etc., I didn't want to turn into a grouchy old lady on a scooter! There are those who grab elevators from waiting scooters, and there are some scooters that can get pretty mean too. Maybe all of us good Samaritans (like to think I am) can continue to set good examples! Happy cruising to all and cheers!

my wife uses a scooter while on a cruise. We were in an elevator along with our son and granddaughter. The elevator stopped at the floor we wanted. The person nearest to us was not  moving so my wife said, "excuse me". Nobody moved so she repeated this twice more. Still, the person would not move. My son reached down and hit the throttle so the scooter moved backwards, into the person who would not move. Once the scooter bumped him, boy he jumped back. "Sorry, sorry" he said. He should have moved when my wife clearly asked him to.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

The person nearest to us was not  moving so my wife said, "excuse me".

While I agree the person should have moved, this easily could have been me.  I'm deaf and unless I am looking at the person speaking, I often can't hear what they are saying.  Usually a tap on my shoulder is enough to get my attention.

• Like 13

I've cruised a few times with family members using scooters. The housekeeping staff can be very helpful with both taking it overnight to charge and trouble shooting mechanical problems (they seem to love riding them lol). Elevators can be a problem but there are some ways to make life easier. The rear elevators are going to be busy at meal times. The forward ones when shows get out. Just waiting 15 minutes can make a big difference. Weather permitting, travel from one end of the ship to the other outside on the pool or promenade deck, rather than through the shops area. Keep a positive attitude, yes there will be a few people pushing past you on to elevators but more who offer assistance.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 9:22 AM, Bloodgem said:

Whilst this does happen. There are people who think it is perfectly fine to step out in front of a scooter/wheelchair and expect the scooter/wheelchair not to hit them.

Yes Yes Yes, there are inconsiderate folks on both sides of the issue.  I prefer to not be on either.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

The person nearest to us was not  moving so my wife said, "excuse me". Nobody moved so she repeated this twice more. Still, the person would not move. My son reached down and hit the throttle so the scooter moved backwards, into the person who would not move. Once the scooter bumped him, boy he jumped back. "Sorry, sorry" he said. He should have moved when my wife clearly asked him to.

Did you ever think maybe the boy had a hearing problem?  I wear hearing aides and at times it's difficult to hear someone behind me.  Run into me from behind with a scooter and we will have words, strong words.  This kind of behavior is what makes people angry at scooter users.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

My wife has been run into twice, and no apologies either time. They feel entitled, and some have never used a scooter before but felt the need to rent one.

My wife was run over by a drunk, belligerent scooter driver.  Major injuries to her foot and ankle,  cruise ruined, thousands of $$$ in medical expenses. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, crazyank said:

Did you ever think maybe the boy had a hearing problem?  I wear hearing aides and at times it's difficult to hear someone behind me.  Run into me from behind with a scooter and we will have words, strong words.  This kind of behavior is what makes people angry at scooter users.

did not have a hearing problem. Extreme rudeness on his part. This man(not a boy) was too busy talking. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

did not have a hearing problem. Extreme rudeness on his part. This man(not a boy) was too busy talking. 

There is no excuse for your son deliberately running into the man from behind. A simple tap on the shoulder should suffice.  And how do YOU know he didn't have a hearing problem?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, crazyank said:

There is no excuse for your son deliberately running into the man from behind. A simple tap on the shoulder should suffice.  And how do YOU know he didn't have a hearing problem?

Or even just didn't hear because he was in the conversation and was focused on his friend.  

I don't know why, but I normally don't hear things from behind me.   I've always been that way.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I'm glad you recognize how rude your son was deliberately hitting someone with the scooter.  Good for you!

Just curious:  Not being deaf myself, but close, someone tapping on your shoulder or back or forearm or wherever, doesn't it startle you?

I'm very jumpy, especially in public places, being former Military/Law Enforcement, I tend to react, in a defensive way, when touched unexpectedly or even loud noises.  Defensive = not meaning I jump into a Kung Fu stance, pulling out a weapon of any kind, or anything like that.  Just tighten up and become very aware of my surroundings until I know what's going on.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Just curious:  Not being deaf myself, but close, someone tapping on your shoulder or back or forearm or wherever, doesn't it startle you?

I'm very jumpy, especially in public places, being former Military/Law Enforcement, I tend to react, in a defensive way, when touched unexpectedly or even loud noises.  Defensive = not meaning I jump into a Kung Fu stance, pulling out a weapon of any kind, or anything like that.  Just tighten up and become very aware of my surroundings until I know what's going on.  

Based only on your avatar, I don't believe to many people would be tapping on you. 😂

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Sometimes, although I am used to it since I have had the problem since I was a child.  Just to be clear, I'm totally deaf in one ear and have significant loss in the other.  I can still hear though, and for that I'm grateful.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Or even just didn't hear because he was in the conversation and was focused on his friend.  

I don't know why, but I normally don't hear things from behind me.   I've always been that way.  

The person was facing us. And, you could tell he could hear, he was having a conversation with someone else, not lip reading

I think I am going to skip the scooter and rent a wheelchair.  I just hate having to ask a family member to push me and although I am mobile and cannot get around a ship of that size without help.  Believe it or not I use a scooter because the last time I went on the Allure based out of Miami, we rented a scooter in Cozumel, I fell broke three ribs, tore my ACL and had to have rotator cuff surgery. The ship had a wheelchair for me for the remainder of the cruise but they ship doctor was so expensive I just suffered for the remaining two days.