Scooter usage on board

I rented a scooter when I sailed on Harmony in July,  I did not have a handicap cabin and with the scooter inside the cabin, it was very, very tight and not easy to get around to use the lavatory at night.

I decided to see if the procedure I used on Allure in June was the same on Harmony and it was.  I was told I could keep the scooter in the hallway for short periods during the day.  I did so when showering for dinner etc and when it was bedtime, I parked the scooter and called housekeeping.  They picked up the scooter, charged it overnight and returned it in the morning.

This worked well for me and I plan to do the same on Symphony.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I have taken my own scooter on 7 of our last cruises and usually book a standard balcony, with one exception. On a cruise on the Grandeur a few years ago, we chose a Jr. Suite and I had no problem bringing the scooter through the doorway, turning around inside the cabin, etc. I remove the armrests when I take it on a cruise.

Since you will rent the  scooter, I think the scooter companies use the same scooters that fit inside cabin. I think standard doorways are approx. 23” wide. It will be in your cabin when you board. One tip, if you are able to step off scooter…I use to drive the scooter into the cabin. It took some time lining it up, so now, I step off, put it in free moving mode, DH holds the door, and I easily steer it into the cabin. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

I have taken my own scooter on 7 of our last cruises and usually book a standard balcony, with one exception. On a cruise on the Grandeur a few years ago, we chose a Jr. Suite and I had no problem bringing the scooter through the doorway, turning around inside the cabin, etc. I remove the armrests when I take it on a cruise.

Since you will rent the  scooter, I think the scooter companies use the same scooters that fit inside cabin. I think standard doorways are approx. 23” wide. It will be in your cabin when you board. One tip, if you are able to step off scooter…I use to drive the scooter into the cabin. It took some time lining it up, so now, I step off, put it in free moving mode, DH holds the door, and I easily steer it into the cabin. 

how do you put it in free moving mode?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gerif said:

Make sure that the bed in your cabin is not near the door - it would be impossible to get the scooter past it. 

Oh yeah, been there, done that! For the 1st leg of our B2B on Mariner, we had a regular balcony room and the bed was near the door. No way that scooter was going to drive around the bed. DH had to remove the "heavy" battery and picked up the scooter and placed it on the couch near the balcony. Since it was my own scooter, I didn't want to turn it over to housekeeping at night, so we elected to leave it in our cabin on the couch. I used my cane (walking very slowly) that week so hubby didn't need to keep getting the scooter out for me. I mainly need it to get on and off the ship ramps, or if it is a huge ship (Oasis and Quantum classes), I will use the scooter to get around the ship. I was really glad that we had an accessible cabin for the 2nd week of our B2B!! Good luck and happy cruising!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Please: no scooter races!!!!

This!  and please don't be one of those people who run into others from behind while beeping your horn and yelling get out of the way.  Also, please don't run over someone's foot.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

This!  and please don't be one of those people who run into others from behind while beeping your horn and yelling get out of the way.  Also, please don't run over someone's foot.

Whilst this does happen. There are people who think it is perfectly fine to step out in front of a scooter/wheelchair and expect the scooter/wheelchair not to hit them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

This is horrible at Disney World.    It didn't happen to us, but I saw many kids walking next to their parents in a straight line get rammed from behind by a speeding scooter.   In fact, we switched to walking single-file with daughter in the middle.   She is small enough that she could have been seriously injured.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Whilst this does happen. There are people who think it is perfectly fine to step out in front of a scooter/wheelchair and expect the scooter/wheelchair not to hit them.

yes, we agree it does happen and we agree that some people are very careless around scooters/wheelchairs.  Our experience with getting hit by a scooter is the result of a very serious incident that happened a couple years ago.

7 hours ago, GJustice said:

Some (Most?) have a lever on the base to disengage the motor so you can roll it easier.

thanks. That might have made things a bit easier for me. We had the 2 bedroom suite last cruise. Very tight corners. I had to lift up the front end to get around corners to plug it in

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 4:31 AM, ASolosailer said:

I would need to rent a scooter on Harmony of the Seas. How does that work? Must it be kept in my cabin and will it fit through the cabin door. There are no handicap cabins left. Thank you.

The two companies that deliver scooters to the ship are Scootaround and Special Needs Group. You can find either of them by just searching for the company name in Google. I have used both of them multiple times. Scootaround is easier to contact by telephone if you have a problem but I think Special Needs does a better job of maintaining the scooters and making sure that the scooter they deliver has a battery that can hold a charge all day. They both supply scooters than can fit through cabin doors but, as other posters have pointed out, cannot get around beds that are close to the cabin door.

Edited by actuarian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/31/2022 at 2:54 PM, molsonschooner said:

how do you put it in free moving mode?

There is a yellow lever on the back cover over top of the right tire that you either push forward or backward to be able to move the scooter in free mode without driving it. Not sure if I’m explaining it clearly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

yes, we agree it does happen and we agree that some people are very careless around scooters/wheelchairs.  Our experience with getting hit by a scooter is the result of a very serious incident that happened a couple years ago.

While I certainly agree that some folks operate their scooters in an unsafe manner,  for me, I have had to stop abruptly when someone coming toward me in the opposite direction, has their head down, looking at their phone and if I didn’t stop, they would walk right into me. So it goes both ways.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 12/31/2022 at 9:31 AM, ASolosailer said:

I would need to rent a scooter on Harmony of the Seas. How does that work? Must it be kept in my cabin and will it fit through the cabin door. There are no handicap cabins left. Thank you.

Have you looked at the Disabled Cruise Travel section of Cruise Critics for more advice about hiring scooters.

Here's a link to the section: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 6:32 AM, crazyank said:

My DH had a scooter on a cruise due to an injury. We found lots of rude people that just don't move out of the way.  Which is probably why some scooter drivers lose patience and beep and holler.

For him the biggest challenge was getting on an elevator.  Lots of people just jump ahead of as though we were invisible.   

When we cruised in December without him needing a scooter we made sure to help those with scooters get on elevators and get out of their way.

It gave us a whole new understanding of the challenges some people face on a daily basis.

• Like 10

On 12/31/2022 at 7:26 AM, Biker19 said:

Yes it should fit and yes be considerate and get it out of the hallway. 

It's not only considerate to not park a mobility device in to the corridor, it's a cruise line requirement and against SOLAS fire regulations to do so.  The corridors are paths of exit travel and include to the elevator lobbies since they are considered a crossover.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My DH had a scooter on a cruise due to an injury. We found lots of rude people that just don't move out of the way.  Which is probably why some scooter drivers lose patience and beep and holler.

And some beep and holler because they are drunk, rude, or both. The one that ran over my wife was very drunk and had been seen bumping people from behind and screaming "get out of my way" on several different occasions.

• Like 3

Why should people get out of the way of a scooter?   I can understand not stepping in front of a scooter.   But the same rules should apply whether someone is walking or in a scooter.   Imagine someone walking along and saying, "get out of my way" or beeping and hollering.   Scooters shouldn't be plowing through people, and if the person in the scooter is beeping and hollering, then they are plowing through people.  Scooters should also go at the same speed as the people walking nearby, and in the same direction.  

• Like 13
  • Haha 1