A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

And here is the third option...same navy dress with crocheted jacket (gold threads running through) bought on etsy.com for about $15.00 and pearl-ish necklace bought at the "Antiques" Market for $10.00.

IMG_0107.JPG.10e70bdd3a3f2de3698c941c70d3fc83.JPGIMG_0108.JPG.5a3e4de42c38e193440f50d7441d49e9.JPG

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Those outfits are gorgeous, Mysty - but might not meet with approval from Mr. L - not expensive enough.  I'm an avid second hand shopper too, mainly for unusual evening wear.

Lola

I'm a country bumpkin Lola,  trying to present as sophisticated-ish.  😅  I love to shop vintage because it's unlikely that I will see myself coming!  I also shop reasonable prices.  I can get variety for much less than one designer piece.   And that works for me!  Thank you for your support! 😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mysty said:

Next up on the exploration of foods to try brings us to Fort-de-France, Martinique.  The information presented here comes by way of https://www.tripsavvy.com/top-foods-to-try-in-martinique-5090509 - The Top 10 Foods to Try in Martinique by Dana Givens.

"Martinican cuisine is a vibrant blend of the cultures that make up the island—African, French, South Asian, and Creole. As such, the food culture in Martinique combines numerous spices and distinct flavors that make it stand out. Creole cuisine is what locals eat daily and their delicacies contain elements of several different cultural influences to create unique, flavorful dishes that stand out during a French West Indies trip. "

01 Boudin
Boudin—a traditional blood sausage—is a part of Martinique's classic cuisine and is commonly served as an appetizer. You will see two versions: boudin blanc and boudin creole. Boudin blanc is made from seafood like prawns, sea conch, and fish while boudin creole is typically made with pork, pig's blood, along with various spices.

02 Chatrou
Chatrou (octopus) is an everyday treat you will see on restaurant menus across Martinique that tastes best served in two types of dishes. The first way is fricassée de chatrou, a traditional octopus stew made with a blend of spices in addition to lemon, onions, and tomatoes. The second way is served as ragout de chatrou, a rice dish with lentils, chopped yams, and a side of beans that is a popular option for takeout for a quick meal on the go. 

03 Accras de Moure
When in Martinique, it is impossible to go anywhere and not see someone selling these fritters for a quick bite. This appetizer is commonplace in most Caribbean countries with their recipe. In Martinique, they are called accras de moure, usually filled with salt fish fried in batter. You can find them everywhere around the island, from restaurants and street vendors in the streets of Fort-de-France, but Mama's Snack in the Fort-de-France spice market sells delicious fritters for around 5 euros to enjoy for lunch or a quick appetizer.

04 Lambis/Conch Stew
Lambis, also known as conch or sea snail, is a seafood delicacy known around the island and seen throughout Caribbean cuisine. Conch can be enjoyed in several ways, but one of the most frequent dishes you will see is conch stew.
lambis.JPG.ff2451c55097de537dd0d773c19fb6b9.JPG

05 Blanc Manger Au Coco
Blanc manger au coco is a popular Martinican dessert that you will frequently see in restaurants and small bakeries. Similar to the French dish of blancmange, the sweet creation is made from a thick paste of honey, coconut milk, and vanilla powder that is served cold with a side of fruits or almonds.

06 Stuffed Crab
Seafood is prevalent around the island, and one of those delicacies that are famous among locals is the stuffed crab. Stuffed crabs (crabe farci) are a popular carry-out dish that can be enjoyed on the go or in a casual restaurant served as an appetizer. The plate is usually served in a plastic shell with a mixture of flavors that will warm your taste buds without overwhelming.

07 Grilled Sea Bream (Doradé Grille)
Sea bream (doradé) is very common throughout Martinique, so you can expect to see it on the menu in most restaurants. Typically the fish is grilled on a charcoal grill and is served with rice, potatoes, or salad marinated in basic seasonings with lime juice.

08 Colombo
Colombo is an iconic Martinican dish and is a must-have to try while on your vacation. The curry-based delicacy is rooted in the island's strong Indian and Hindu community. The dish can be made with different meats, with chicken or lamb Colombo being the most common. The meat is typically served with rice, stewed beans, lentils, plantains, and vegetables in a curry sauce.

09 Smoked Chicken
Barbecue specialties are in abundance throughout the Caribbean and you'll often encounter scenes of small clouds of smoke from a charcoal grill with an assortment of vegetables and meats. A staple on Martinican menus, smoked chicken (poulet boucané) is grilled chicken with sugarcane syrup to create a tasty combination of savory and sweet. 

10 Homemade Sorbets & Ice Creams
There's nothing better than a cold refreshment on a hot, sunny day, and while in Martinique, you have to sample a homemade sorbet and ice creams. While you can get ice cream almost anywhere, Martinique is known for its local makers and delicious creations. You can expect to see flavors like sugar cane, cassava, lychee, rum banana, and passion fruit. 

As I posted earlier, we booked A Taste of Martinique for the excursion here.  We will visit the Prisca restaurant where we will learn how to prepare traditional fritters.  Chef Prisca will also prepare various French-West Indian aperitifs. Following the cooking class we will sample the freshly-made, traditional specialties and homemade cocktails.

Have a Ti' Punch to start, and grab a bottle of rhum agricole to take with you if you like it. Quite different from the aged rum usually known. Thankfully, I can get it here in Switzerland to make one of my favourite summer drinks.

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/ti-punch/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

Have a Ti' Punch to start, and grab a bottle of rhum agricole to take with you if you like it. Quite different from the aged rum usually known. Thankfully, I can get it here in Switzerland to make one of my favourite summer drinks.

Awesome @Grand Duchess !  Thank you for the suggestion.  Your drink sounds amazing!

• Like 1

Next up for the food exploration is St. Kitts (Basseterre).  The information presented here comes by way of https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/travel/caribbean/top-9-things-to-eat-in-st-kitts .

"The food in St. Kitts alone is worth making the trip. When it comes to things to do in St. Kitts, eating tops the list. Although the island offers many culinary delights, some of the best dishes include the following:"

1.    Conch Fritters
You may never have considered conch for a meal, but it is considered a delicacy in various parts of the world and particularly in St. Kitts. Conch fritters are made from succulent conch meat that is fried in seasoned batter. These hearty treats have a devoted following, particularly in the Caribbean. They make an excellent snack or starter dish for a large meal and will become one of your St. Kitts favorites.

2.    Roti
Roti is an unleavened flat bread that comes with a variety of fillings. Roti is especially popular on St. Kitts and attracts tourists and locals to restaurants and street vendors specializing in this dish. You’ll find Roti filled with curried vegetables, chicken or shrimp. It makes a great lunch or snack and can be found in Basseterre, Cockleshell beach and other popular spots. You’ll want to take the recipe for this special bread home with you.

3.    Goat Water
Goat water sounds like an unusual drink, but it’s actually a goat stew that is prized throughout the Caribbean. Depending on where you live, you may not have eaten goat before, but it is actually one of the most popular meats worldwide, and for good reason: It’s particularly flavorful. In addition to goat, the stew requires water, of course, as well as papaya, onions, yams, chilies, tomatoes and other fresh, local ingredients. You will find this succulent dish in any number of restaurants in St. Kitts, as it’s a favorite of locals and tourists alike.
St.-Kitts-and-Nevis-Goat-Water-Stew-1.jpg.2c82b818b4b989a7211d2fce0ae8453c.jpg

4.    Sugar Cake
Sugar cake is a dream for anyone with a true love of sweets. It is made with a combination of sugar, coconut and ginger and is dyed into various colors, including pink and brown, making it festive as well as delicious. Hard on the outside, soft on the inside, this confection is addicting. You may need to jog along the beach or on our jogging track, to make up for this sugary concoction.

5.    Cook-up or Pelau
Another distinctive St. Kitts’ treat is cook-up or Pelau, a dish that consists of a savory mix of multiple meats like beef, salt fish, beef and pig tail. It also contains rice, pigeon peas and a variety of vegetables. This meal uses a bit of everything delicious about St. Kitts cuisine, so you get a real taste of the island.

6.    Salt Fish and Dumplings
You simply can’t leave St. Kitts without sampling the national dish, made with stewed salt fish, seasoned breadfruit, coconut dumplings and spicy plantains. You get a real taste of St. Kitts culture when you devour this filling and tasty meal. Simple and yet hearty eating is the key to St. Kitts dining.

7.    Black Pudding
Black pudding is not a dessert, but many find this local delicacy irresistible just the same. True, the actual ingredients are unusual, but many find this dish to be a culinary adventure. Black pudding recipes vary, but most contain a significant amount of pig’s blood, pig’s fat, and other bits and pieces of pork, as well as other ingredients, including strong seasonings. The mixture is placed inside of casings and cooked. Blood pudding can be enjoyed at any meal, including breakfast. If you have an adventurous palate, black pudding should be on your menu.

8.    Johnny Cakes
Johnny cakes Caribbean-style are a St. Kitts specialty. These simple but delicious cakes are most often enjoyed at breakfast or lunch but make a fine snack at any time. They are made from flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and other basic ingredients and formed into small circles that are fried in hot oil. No one can eat just one of these golden brown cakes, so don’t even try.

9.    Lobster
For lobster and other seafood lovers, St. Kitts is paradise. Lobsters are found in abundance in the oceans around the island and are served in every eatery in town. No need to make a reservation at an expensive restaurant; lobster is available to you in the most humble of establishments. Simple but delicious grilled lobster is a local favorite.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mysty said:

Awesome @Grand Duchess !  Thank you for the suggestion.  Your drink sounds amazing!

It is the cure all in those regions, lerned that when crossing over from Guadeloupe to les Saintes for a daytrip by ferry and we both got terribly seasick. They told us to have one or two of these when going back and it made all the difference😉

in the bars in Martinique they might just put a bottle on the table so chacun prépare sa propre mort, meaning everyone can help themselves to mix their own death😂

The most charming people, and the best looking I have ever seen, too.

I will forever remember this policewoman, elegantly attired in her uniform and in high heels, who showed me the way to the next record shop in Fort de France, walking before us like a runway model in a Paris Haute Couture show. My husband was understandably completely spellbound😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

It is the cure all in those regions, lerned that when crossing over from Guadeloupe to les Saintes for a daytrip by ferry and we both got terribly seasick. They told us to have one or two of these when going back and it made all the difference😉

in the bars in Martinique they might just put a bottle on the table so chacun prépare sa propre mort, meaning everyone can help themselves to mix their own death😂

The most charming people, and the best looking I have ever seen, too.

I will forever remember this policewoman, elegantly attired in her uniform and in high heels, who showed me the way to the next record shop in Fort de France, walking before us like a runway model in a Paris Haute Couture show. My husband was understandably completely spellbound😉

I love stories like yours @Grand Duchess !  They bring the experience of travel to life!  And the information about the "cure" is very helpful!  Thank you!

• Like 1

And to complete the formal night's attire, we mustn't forget the shoes.  The days of wearing high heels are long gone.  If I fall at this point, the old hips might not survive.  Here is what I purchased...

Capture.JPG.5c46b6f9897a02319a54afe84f5b8e10.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG.b79e08beb9f800a83d9e2cd59f426650.JPG

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

The link encouraged me to do a little more research on Ti' Punch.  It has a fascinating history.  Thanks you @Grand Duchess for lighting the spark!

Unlike most rums, which are made from fermented molasses or sugarcane byproducts, rhum agrciole is made from fresh-pressed sugarcane juice, which gives it wild, vegetal, grassy flavors and aromas entirely unlike other rums. 

https://chilledmagazine.com/traditional-caribbean-tipunch/#:~:text=You can't talk about,slavery on April 27th%2C 1848.   - Drink In History: Ti’Punch By Victoria Cece

From the article above.....

"Ti’ Punch isn’t just a cocktail – it is a tradition 
Ti’ Punch is an entire experience. Presenting a bottle of local rhum agricole, with a side of cane sugar and fresh cut limes is the way Guadeloupeans warmly greet guests. At the various restaurants, homes, and BnBs I visited, more often than not I was presented with this trinity of ingredients. Not in a glass, but laid out separately, waiting for you to play bartender. 

It was such a joyful experience to muddle together the cane sugar and lime, and mix it all with the rhum. It made you feel right at home. And, that’s the exact purpose of Ti’ Punch. 

Of course, you can find Ti’ Punch served as a cocktail as well. It is almost always served neat to avoid dilluting the pure flavors of the rhum. But, when the island sun is too hot to handle, don’t be surprised if your Ti’ Punch is served with ice. 

The Rhums of Guadeloupe 
Guadeloupe is also home to delicious rhum agricole that often don’t get as much attention. I will tell you – they deserve all the attention. Guadeloupe’s islands have a dazzling and diversified terroir, bestowing a unique character to every rhum agricole. 

You can’t talk about Guadeloupean rhum or sugar cane production without mentioning Maria-Galante. This little pancake-shaped island is said to be the birthplace of Ti’ Punch. The drink was created to celebrate the French abolition of slavery on April 27th, 1848.  

Maria Galante is home to 3 different distilleries within just 61 square miles. That’s the most distilleries per square mile, anywhere. Right off the ferry, you can visit distilleries with historic rhum making traditions. The oldest distillery is Père Labat, producing rhum agricole since 1863. There is also Bielle as well as Habitation Bellevue, the first eco-friendly distillery in all of Guadeloupe. 

Back on ‘mainland,’ which is made up of the two large islands, Grande Terre and Basse Terre, you will find the majority of rhum production. Damoiseau is the most common Guadeloupean rhum agricole distillery. I greeted its blue and red label many afternoons and evenings on my trip. This distillery is found in Grande Terre, an island graced with breathtaking limestone cliffs. The island’s elevation and limestone-rich sandy soil allow sugar cane to reach it’s ripest potential. This gives Damoiseau’s young and aged rhum a tropical fruit character that adds a little more boldness to your Ti’ Punch.  

On the other side of Guadaloupe lays Basse Terre and its popular distillery Rhum Bologne. There, sugar cane grows not far from the sea, at the edges of La Grande Soufriere, Guadeloupe’s active volcano. Many believe that the volcanic soil and sea are behind Rhum Bologne’s freshness and complex character of citrus, spice, and earth. All these flavors make this rhum agricole very easy to sip on. 

No matter what rhum agricole you choose, Ti’ Punch won’t let you down. It makes for the perfect greeting, ice breaker, or even a nightcap. It is a true symbol of Guadaloupe and Martinique’s hospitality, one that can lend a smile and a little zest to anyone’s life. So, when in doubt, make yourself a Ti’ Punch. In seconds, you’ll be somewhere laying beneath the palms, thousands of miles away. "

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mysty said:

And to complete the formal night's attire, we mustn't forget the shoes.  The days of wearing high heels are long gone.  If I fall at this point, the old hips might not survive.  Here is what I purchased...

Capture.JPG.5c46b6f9897a02319a54afe84f5b8e10.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG.b79e08beb9f800a83d9e2cd59f426650.JPG

They are lovely and should pack easily.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

The link encouraged me to do a little more research on Ti' Punch.  It has a fascinating history.  Thanks you @Grand Duchess for lighting the spark!

Unlike most rums, which are made from fermented molasses or sugarcane byproducts, rhum agrciole is made from fresh-pressed sugarcane juice, which gives it wild, vegetal, grassy flavors and aromas entirely unlike other rums. 

https://chilledmagazine.com/traditional-caribbean-tipunch/#:~:text=You can't talk about,slavery on April 27th%2C 1848.   - Drink In History: Ti’Punch By Victoria Cece

From the article above.....

"Ti’ Punch isn’t just a cocktail – it is a tradition 
Ti’ Punch is an entire experience. Presenting a bottle of local rhum agricole, with a side of cane sugar and fresh cut limes is the way Guadeloupeans warmly greet guests. At the various restaurants, homes, and BnBs I visited, more often than not I was presented with this trinity of ingredients. Not in a glass, but laid out separately, waiting for you to play bartender. 

It was such a joyful experience to muddle together the cane sugar and lime, and mix it all with the rhum. It made you feel right at home. And, that’s the exact purpose of Ti’ Punch. 

Of course, you can find Ti’ Punch served as a cocktail as well. It is almost always served neat to avoid dilluting the pure flavors of the rhum. But, when the island sun is too hot to handle, don’t be surprised if your Ti’ Punch is served with ice. 

The Rhums of Guadeloupe 
Guadeloupe is also home to delicious rhum agricole that often don’t get as much attention. I will tell you – they deserve all the attention. Guadeloupe’s islands have a dazzling and diversified terroir, bestowing a unique character to every rhum agricole. 

You can’t talk about Guadeloupean rhum or sugar cane production without mentioning Maria-Galante. This little pancake-shaped island is said to be the birthplace of Ti’ Punch. The drink was created to celebrate the French abolition of slavery on April 27th, 1848.  

Maria Galante is home to 3 different distilleries within just 61 square miles. That’s the most distilleries per square mile, anywhere. Right off the ferry, you can visit distilleries with historic rhum making traditions. The oldest distillery is Père Labat, producing rhum agricole since 1863. There is also Bielle as well as Habitation Bellevue, the first eco-friendly distillery in all of Guadeloupe. 

Back on ‘mainland,’ which is made up of the two large islands, Grande Terre and Basse Terre, you will find the majority of rhum production. Damoiseau is the most common Guadeloupean rhum agricole distillery. I greeted its blue and red label many afternoons and evenings on my trip. This distillery is found in Grande Terre, an island graced with breathtaking limestone cliffs. The island’s elevation and limestone-rich sandy soil allow sugar cane to reach it’s ripest potential. This gives Damoiseau’s young and aged rhum a tropical fruit character that adds a little more boldness to your Ti’ Punch.  

On the other side of Guadaloupe lays Basse Terre and its popular distillery Rhum Bologne. There, sugar cane grows not far from the sea, at the edges of La Grande Soufriere, Guadeloupe’s active volcano. Many believe that the volcanic soil and sea are behind Rhum Bologne’s freshness and complex character of citrus, spice, and earth. All these flavors make this rhum agricole very easy to sip on. 

No matter what rhum agricole you choose, Ti’ Punch won’t let you down. It makes for the perfect greeting, ice breaker, or even a nightcap. It is a true symbol of Guadaloupe and Martinique’s hospitality, one that can lend a smile and a little zest to anyone’s life. So, when in doubt, make yourself a Ti’ Punch. In seconds, you’ll be somewhere laying beneath the palms, thousands of miles away. "

Visited the Père Labat distillery many years ago, sailing over to Marie Galante from Guadeloupe for the day. The most delicious flavours wafting through the air the nearer we got. Of course we did a tasting and bought a few bottles.

Another specialty of the French Antilles is the Shrubb, a liqueur based on rum mixed with spices and orange peels. Quite nice in winter, I got everyone warmed up with this one X-mas evening dinner when our heating (old farmhouse with Seventies electric storage stoves) decided to give up. This saw us through until the two tiled stoves got warm enough. A memorable evening😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Visited the Père Labat distillery many years ago, sailing over to Marie Galante from Guadeloupe for the day. The most delicious flavours wafting through the air the nearer we got. Of course we did a tasting and bought a few bottles.

Another specialty of the French Antilles is the Shrubb, a liqueur based on rum mixed with spices and orange peels. Quite nice in winter, I got everyone warmed up with this one X-mas evening dinner when our heating (old farmhouse with Seventies electric storage stoves) decided to give up. This saw us through until the two tiled stoves got warm enough. A memorable evening😂

You have the most delicious stories @Grand Duchess !  Thank you!  The Shrubb sounds like an awesome winter treat!  Since winters here are mean and sometimes nasty, Shrubb may be added to our scavenger hunt list!

• Thanks 1

Next up on the food exploration tour is Gustavia, St. Barthelemy.  Pickings were slim in terms of websites that talked about food suggestions.  Most were about restaurants.  However, I did find.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Barthélemy_cuisine#:~:text=West Indian cuisine%2C steamed vegetables,and grilled beef fillet etc. - Saint Barthélemy cuisine

"Saint Barthélemy cuisine mainly revolves around French cuisine, West Indian cuisine, Creole cuisine, Italian cuisine and Asian cuisine. The island has over 70 restaurants serving many dishes and others are a significant number of gourmet restaurants; many of the finest restaurants are located in the hotels. There are also a number of snack restaurants which the French call "les snacks" or "les petits creux" which include sandwiches, pizzas and salads. West Indian cuisine, steamed vegetables with fresh fish is common; Creole dishes tend to be spicier. The island hosts gastronomic events throughout the year, with dishes such as spring roll of shrimp and bacon, fresh grilled lobster, Chinese noodle salad with coconut milk, and grilled beef fillet etc. Notable restaurants include Eddy's, located opposite the Anglican church in Gustavia which serves colonial Southeast Asian cuisine, La Mandala in Gustavia serving far eastern cuisine, Le Repaire on the harbor in Gustavia serving Creole food, K'fe Massai in Centre'lOasis in Lorient inspired by French North Africa, Maya's in Saint Jean which serves French Creole cuisine, Zanzibarth in Saint Jean which serves French, Belgian and Italian cuisine and Do Brasil on Shell Beach, based on Brazilian and Thai cuisine.

St. Barts is popular with wine connoisseurs and contains La Cave de Saint Bathelemy in Marigot which is reportedly one of the largest in Caribbean at around 6,000 square feet. The cellar stocks some 250,000 bottles including 300 varieties of French wine. A notable wine store Vinissimo is located on the Rue de Bord de Mer in Gustavia and stocks around 400,000 bottles of wine.  Also of note is Le Gout du Vin on the Rue du Roi Oscar II in Gustavia which stocks Laurent Perrier champagnes and Bouchard Pere et Fils Burgundy wine, as well as a range of other wines including Italian, Spanish, Australian and Chilean."

And this.....https://www.stbarthimmo.com/en/st-barts-dishes/

"In Saint-Barth, eating well is considered a way of life in its own right.

French cuisine in St. Barts
Many local restaurants are run by internationally renowned chefs. Taste French cuisine revisited in Caribbean style and let yourself be surprised by new flavors. During our scouting, we saw with our own eyes the restaurants to provide local fishermen. On the program: sea bream, bluefin tuna, seafood … All freshly caught in the morning!

Many restaurants in St Barts offer French specialties. In addition to traditional marbled snails, you can also enjoy delicious meat dishes such as grilled lamb, duck breast or beef tartare, all accompanied by a traditional baguette!

After the inevitable cheese platter accompanied by French wine, comes the long-awaited moment of desserts. Here, crème brûlée, fondant and other sweets are revisited with local products such as lemon, banana, guava or mango.

Creole cuisine in Saint-Barth
And because traveling to St. Barts is also a good opportunity to discover new flavors, we’ll make you taste some of our favorite Creole dishes. In a territory as exotic as Saint-Barth, it would be a shame not to take advantage of local resources to feast!

You will first start your Creole meal with cod snacks accompanied by a traditional ti’punch, a cocktail made with rum, lemon juice and cane sugar. For the future, we recommend you to taste the typical Creole plate, which allows you to taste several traditional dishes in one meal: cristophine with cod, stuffed crab and West Indian pudding! You can also choose to taste a pork colombo, a grilled lobster or a broth of shortbread … As an accompaniment, local vegetables such as sweet potato, avocado and pumpkin (pumpkin) will be on the menu.

For dessert, we can only recommend the exotic fruits of the island: passion fruit, pineapple, mangoes, bananas, cherries country … They are savored here in all forms, as well in pies as in sorbets, in fruit salads, cakes or jams. And to finish your meal, let yourself be tempted by a local digestive: rum with ginger or rum arranged with vanilla!

The gastronomic specialties of St. Barts are among the best reasons to go on the island. Whether you are French cuisine or Creole specialties, you will find something to delight your taste buds in this ideal destination for gourmets."

plats-sbh-scaled.jpg.0a582c45777eb93f85e85115f56e3181.jpg

• Like 1

Excursions for Apia, Samoa and Newcastle, Australia have not yet been posted.  Included excursions have not yet been posted for New Plymouth, New Zealand (there are Selected excursions available to book).

Update on flights for Mysty and Myster.  Flights to Bridgetown via Toronto on December 16, 2023 have been booked (not ticketed).  Flight from Vancouver to home on May 23, 2024 have been booked (not ticketed).

This is getting real! 😁

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

No doubt you already know how pricey everything in St. Barts is, Mysty.   Maybe not to be recommended for buying evening wear of the type you and I favour. 

Lola

As I was researching St Barts I definitely got an inkling that this would be an expensive place.  The mention of La Cave de Saint Bathelemy in Marigot made me sit up straighter! 😅  I will not be shopping here.   Although, their selection of consignment pieces would probably be spectacular!

12 minutes ago, mysty said:

As I was researching St Barts I definitely got an inkling that this would be an expensive place.  The mention of La Cave de Saint Bathelemy in Marigot made me sit up straighter! 😅  I will not be shopping here.   Although, their selection of consignment pieces would probably be spectacular!

Been there twice. When first you arrive, it feels like stepping into some sort of tropical Bahnhofstrasse (most expensive shopping avenue in Zurich, Europe, the world). Exactly the same luxury brands. Still, the yacht harbour is interesting for people watching and at least having an apéro, and the airport is not to missed for watching the small planes coming in. Must be rather difficult to land there.
Very Frech and very chic. Nurejew had a villa on St. Barts. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Been there twice. When first you arrive, it feels like stepping into some sort of tropical Bahnhofstrasse (most expensive shopping avenue in Zurich, Europe, the world). Exactly the same luxury brands. Still, the yacht harbour is interesting for people watching and at least having an apéro, and the airport is not to missed for watching the small planes coming in. Must be rather difficult to land there.
Very Frech and very chic. Nurejew had a villa on St. Barts. 

Thank you @Grand Duchess !  You have added your touch of magic to St Barts.   Places come alive with these insights.  I'll make an attempt to dress up-ish for our excursion.  😁

On 8/13/2023 at 9:21 AM, mysty said:

The wait for these cruises is killing me!  We're at 127 days to sail away for the Holiday Cruise.  To keep myself amused I started playing with wardrobe options.  I am beginning with the formal nights.  We probably won't go to many but Myster does graciously accede to a few.  Here is what I came up with.....

367383988_663604332344719_4914465780207841008_n.jpg.e2c8b321f5701bb7d33e5e813d9de8c4.jpg

367366830_1920359205002672_8358621234230371526_n.jpg.d9e42aa2e17a319af4584464a301be1c.jpg

I bought the sleeveless velvet dress in 2005 ($20.00 on sale at Orvis) for our first cruise.  It was on Celebrity when they had real formal nights. The bronze tie top was purchased 2 months ago at a consignment shop for $40.00.  The necklace (and matching earrings) were bought a few weeks ago for $6.00 at the "Antiques" Market.

I am bringing a sequined long dinner coat and a different necklace to give me another option with the dress.

@JSR you might be interested in this as an illustration of my answer to your question about formal night.

Thanks, I have a black dress with several tops that I can bring. It travels well. I do travel with jewelry which I do not wear off the ship. I need to get some fun jewelry for in port that is clearly just fun, Working on my Carnival outfit, I am most concerned with getting bored with my clothes. Last time I traveled for 3 months, I took 2 jeans, 1 skirt, 4 tops, 1 sweater, a pair of sandals and a pair of sneakers. I was so sick of my skirt that I bought a $15 dress in Greece and threw my skirt out in the airplane trash, gave my jeans away along our travels. Of course I was 19 years old and carried everything in a backpack. 

Seriously, I could get away with very few clothes it is mostly the boredom factor and since I do not like to shop it is unlikely unless I am desperate that I will acquire much a long the way. 

I am still working my way through all the ports. So many decisions on what to do in each place, contacting tour guides, figuring out accessibility... it is fun but sometimes still overwhelming. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JSR said:

Thanks, I have a black dress with several tops that I can bring. It travels well. I do travel with jewelry which I do not wear off the ship. I need to get some fun jewelry for in port that is clearly just fun, Working on my Carnival outfit, I am most concerned with getting bored with my clothes. Last time I traveled for 3 months, I took 2 jeans, 1 skirt, 4 tops, 1 sweater, a pair of sandals and a pair of sneakers. I was so sick of my skirt that I bought a $15 dress in Greece and threw my skirt out in the airplane trash, gave my jeans away along our travels. Of course I was 19 years old and carried everything in a backpack. 

Seriously, I could get away with very few clothes it is mostly the boredom factor and since I do not like to shop it is unlikely unless I am desperate that I will acquire much a long the way. 

I am still working my way through all the ports. So many decisions on what to do in each place, contacting tour guides, figuring out accessibility... it is fun but sometimes still overwhelming. 

The reward will come when your research and planning delivers an awesome experience! 😁  It is definitely worth the effort!

• Like 1