A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

8 hours ago, Port Power said:

I saw the sign “Helly Hansen” above a store recently in Oslo. I had no idea what was sold there. Not that you would buy in Norway: far too expensive.

44 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Aha, you got yourself what they call in Northern Germany a "Friesennerz" (Frisian mink coat)😊

When in Sylt (North Frisian island, bit like the Hamptons) last time in June, I took full advantage of the Sales and bought two, a lined one and a thinner one, with the WC 2025 in mind. Very convenient and they do not take up too much luggage space.

Helly Hansen is rather pricey here.  The rain coat I bought was originally priced at $220.00 CAD.  I got the coat for $89.00 CAD.  It was a wonderful find!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

All digits and bendy bits are crossed with you. It's hard to see what alternatives they would have.  And on the subject of you swimming and dancing - go for it!!!! On WC 2019, not so much in 2023, the pool in the morning was the best place to keep UpToDate with the gossip. Just sayin' xx 

I agree about the alternatives M.  Of course, they could go the long way around.  They would need to drastically change the itinerary for the Holiday season cruise in order to do that though. Hopefully this will all work out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Clever girl, Mysty.  I hope Myster approves of all these savings - my DH used to say ' well you  have still spent money', of course.  But in this case a necessity.

Lola

Thank you Lola!  I am a very fortunate bumpkin in that Myster has never once groused about my shopping.  He knows that I am very careful with our finances.  And he gets a kick out of it when I score good deals!  I shop for him as well and he really likes not having to shop for himself.  Win-Win!  😁

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mysty said:

Thank you Lola!  I am a very fortunate bumpkin in that Myster has never once groused about my shopping.  He knows that I am very careful with our finances.  And he gets a kick out of it when I score good deals!  I shop for him as well and he really likes not having to shop for himself.  Win-Win!  😁

I’ve a couple of HH’s and they are wonderful. I saved a fortune too. Yes I had to spend a little to save a lot but a great investment!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’ve a couple of HH’s and they are wonderful. I saved a fortune too. Yes I had to spend a little to save a lot but a great investment!

Thank you DW!  I was best blessed with my find!

@rojaan19 and @Stumblefoot , thanks for your previous suggestions of a pub crawl through the Rocks District.  The Shadow will be docked at White Bay.  In 2016 there was a bus shuttle that went to Darling Harbour.  In 2019 there was a ferry that went to Circular Quay.  I'm not sure what the story will be for the 2024 visit.

I found some additional options.

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/things-to-do/things-to-do-in-sydney-at-least-once-in-your-life  - The 52 best things to do in Sydney in 2023.  

Sample the best Marg in town at Cantina OK

What is it? Sydney's ittiest-bittiest tequila bar, somehow squeezed into a repurposed carport down a CBD laneway, and Time Out's current pick for the best place to drink in the city.

Why go? Its Margarita is, without doubt, the best available in Sydney, and dare we say, the whole of Australia. The secret? A shaken 50/50 blend of Mexico-made tequila and mezcal, poured over shaved ice and finished with orange oil. 

Don't miss: If your experience of tequila (and its cousin mezcal) is slamming a nasty, eye-watering shot in the pub, allow the smooth-as-silk varieties here to change your mind about this all-too-often underrated spirit.

Capture.JPG.6d5930d2d24586d970159454af2bd35a.JPG

Drink in panoramic views at Bar 83, Sydney's highest bar

What is it? Perched 83 stories above the streets of the CBD, this quirky, retro-futurist cocktail lounge is the highest place to drink in Sydney, located on the second-to-highest floor of Sydney Tower.

Why go? The views of Greater Sydney from the Golden Bucket are simply jaw-dropping, stretching all the way to the Pacific horizon in the east, Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park in the north, the Blue Mountains in the west, and Cronulla in the south. You won't find vistas as impressive as these anywhere else in the city.

Don't miss: Because you're sure to work up an appetite gazing at all those delicious views, why not book a table at Sydney Tower's recently refurbed revolving restaurant, Infinity, one floor above Bar 83?

Capture2.JPG.c319083b98ca88c8fb580b8fc15fab79.JPG

And now that the booze options have been covered.....on to other options.

https://differentville.com/fun-things-to-do-circular-quay/

Try and Spot The Sydney Seal
Just behind the Opera House is a set of steps leading down to the harbour – and often, lounging around those steps is a fur seal that locals have named Benny.

If you just want to add visiting Benny to your list of fun things to do in Circular Quay without all of the background, walk past the Opera House on its left-hand side (if you’re facing the water) right to end to find his step.

You’ll know you’re in the right place when you spot the ‘Do Not Feed the Seal’ Signs. It’s listed on google maps as the Opera House Seal steps.

Go on a Tiny Bird Treasure Hunt
British artist Tracey Emin recently added 60 odd tiny bronze birds to the 1km stretch of Bridge and Hunter Streets just up from Circular Quay – and it’s really good fun trying to find them.  If you want to give it a try, look up, look down and think ‘if I were a sparrow where would I sit’ .

The birds are all placed along the roads of Bridge Street and Grovesnor Street at the end of Sydney close to Circular Quay. It’s roughly a straight line of about 850m.

They’re are placed where normal birds would sit – so, on top of windowsills, on ledges, the tops of lights, under benches etc.

But they are small – starling or sparrow-sized – and brown. This means spotting them is not that easy – and photographing them is even worse.

https://www.cityartsydney.com.au/artwork/the-distance-of-your-heart/

sparrow.jpg.94d14c41b548d34da3a42740252560fa.jpg

Capture3.JPG.dceac35a765b2f7923b19da2e67212f2.JPG

Get a Mi Goreng Toastie in Instagram Alley
Sydney CBD doesn’t yet have the street art culture of its cousin’s Melbourne or Perth (or even Sydney’s Newtown), but it’s getting there – starting with The Burrows, a laneway just off Sydney’s George Street which is covered with a huge mural offering numerous photogenic backdrops for you to enjoy! The Burrows’ official street address is 200 George Street.

The Burrows is also home to Dutch Smuggler, a coffee shop known for its quirky toasted sandwiches – most famous of which is the Mi Goreng toastie.

Yes, it’s a toasted sandwich full of noodles and a fried egg!

They have also done a spaghetti bolognaise one!

These are not people afraid of carbs!
best-mi-goreng-sydney.jpg.4975747670f9d33a46ebcd0bfeb39726.jpg

Capture4.JPG.85df2cae28aac90aaa641ca86959bd1f.JPG

Get Your Mug Shot Taken
The Justice and Police Museum on the corner of Albert and Phillip Streets is a surprisingly fun thing to do in Circular Quay considering it covers a relatively serious subject.

It’s full of stories of Sydney’s underworld there were a lot of poisoners in the city back in the day, but also fascinating information on how the police force worked when Sydney was a bit more lawless than it is now.

A nice little touch is the chance to dress up as one of the molls (or spivs) of the 1920s underworld and pose for photos in the old court.

Capture5.JPG.cb30dce118176378e456869f09e4132d.JPG

Try Sydney’s Best (and most fun) Burger
The Blame Canada burger at Bar Luca has been voted the best burger in Sydney – but that’s not why they are included here though. That’s because of their ingenuity when it comes to their ingredients.

They love adding things you might not expect to find on a burger (Blame Canada has poutine on it) and past specials have included the Chickarita which was a margarita glazed chicken burger topped with (among other things) pickled melon and the Hella Weiner – a burger with two added sausages! I also love their ability to make puns from what’s in their buns!
Capture6.JPG.a5fd9f86774f2d458747179392c8f204.JPG

• Like 2

I have to say I am really impressed with SS in comparison to our WC on Regent.  Silversea seems to really care that this is a WC and therefore a very big deal for those of us lucky enough to sign on for the voyage.  An email just posted in my inbox that illustrates this outreach that is so encouraging

Barbara_Muckermann.png

Dear Traveller,

I would like to personally invite you to attend a digital event focusing on the unique highlights of our 2024 World Cruise: Far East-West.

Join me on Tuesday 5 September at 2PM EDT for an insightful look into Silver Shadow’s 132-day sojourn exploring the far reaches of the Pacific Rim. I will be hosting this session joined by Norman Rafelson, Silversea’s Delegate to the Venetian Society, and other members of the world cruise leadership team.

We hope you will join us for this in-depth look at the Far East-West’s exclusively curated special events, itinerary highlights and enhanced entertainment options.

Thank you,

http://i.email.silversea.com/wpm/1035/ContentUploads/Images/MIA/BarbaraMuckermann_Signature_FINAL.jpg

Barbara Muckermann
President & CEO

• Like 3

1 minute ago, profpeabody said:

I have to say I am really impressed with SS in comparison to our WC on Regent.  Silversea seems to really care that this is a WC and therefore a very big deal for those of us lucky enough to sign on for the voyage.  An email just posted in my inbox that illustrates this outreach that is so encouraging

Barbara_Muckermann.png

Dear Traveller,

I would like to personally invite you to attend a digital event focusing on the unique highlights of our 2024 World Cruise: Far East-West.

Join me on Tuesday 5 September at 2PM EDT for an insightful look into Silver Shadow’s 132-day sojourn exploring the far reaches of the Pacific Rim. I will be hosting this session joined by Norman Rafelson, Silversea’s Delegate to the Venetian Society, and other members of the world cruise leadership team.

We hope you will join us for this in-depth look at the Far East-West’s exclusively curated special events, itinerary highlights and enhanced entertainment options.

Thank you,

http://i.email.silversea.com/wpm/1035/ContentUploads/Images/MIA/BarbaraMuckermann_Signature_FINAL.jpg

Barbara Muckermann
President & CEO

Just for some historical background, this is new!  There wasn't a whole lot of communication for the 2016 or the 2019.  They may have upped the ante after that though.  I am also very impressed with the efforts in communication by Silversea for this adventure!  

I registered for the webinar and received a confirmation.   This confirmation included the name of an additional participant to the presentation.   Jannie Cloete, Director of Silversea Experiences and Events will be joining Ms. Muckermann and Norman Rafelson.  Jannie Cloete has been the magician behind some amazing World Cruise events.   He is a very personable gent and I'm looking forward to hearing his contribution to this presentation! 😁

I posted this link earlier.   If you want to know more about Jannie Cloete read this....

https://discover.silversea.com/destinations/world-cruise/jannie-cloete-world-cruise-events/

Edited by mysty

5 hours ago, mysty said:

I registered for the webinar and received a confirmation.   This confirmation included the name of an additional participant to the presentation.   Jannie Cloete, Director of Silversea Experiences and Events will be joining Ms. Muckermann and Norman Rafelson.  Jannie Cloete has been the magician behind some amazing World Cruise events.   He is a very personable gent and I'm looking forward to hearing his contribution to this presentation! 😁

I posted this link earlier.   If you want to know more about Jannie Cloete read this....

https://discover.silversea.com/destinations/world-cruise/jannie-cloete-world-cruise-events/

We cruised with Jannie back in April 2016,  on the Caledonian Sky !  He was CD on that ship  at the time - it was a cruise around Japan  for cherry blossom time  organised by an English/Australian Horticultural  Club. The gardens were fantastic - the ship was not !  but Jannie was excellent -so glad he joined Silverseas !!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

We cruised with Jannie back in April 2016,  on the Caledonian Sky !  He was CD on that ship  at the time - it was a cruise around Japan  for cherry blossom time  organised by an English/Australian Horticultural  Club. The gardens were fantastic - the ship was not !  but Jannie was excellent -so glad he joined Silverseas !!

Thank you for the background @rojaan19 !  He really has a knack with organizing spectacular events!

I think I have found something interesting to explore on our free day in Cairns on March 3, 2024.

Cairns Botanic Gardens - The Cairns Botanic Gardens is a tropical paradise, renowned as one of the best exhibitions of tropical plants in Australia. Come and explore the beauty of tropical plants, relax in stunning surroundings and learn about tropical flora and horticulture.

https://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/experience-cairns/botanic-gardens

https://www.cairnsattractions.com.au/explore/getting-back-to-nature/cairns-botanical-gardens-attractions.413.html#:~:text=Admission to the Cairns Botanical,park exist into the future.

gardenareas.jpg.36175bf27a66cf8edc27218a044eb53a.jpg

It is reachable by bus from Spence Street close to where the Shadow will dock.  It would be about a 15 minute ride and a 15 minute walk..  The day ticket is less than $5.00.

Capture.thumb.JPG.611a30142c087f4f2f3a7e4b35366b68.JPG

Capture2.JPG.c8aaab37b71ef9403b52dbc2f5316897.JPG

Capture3.JPG.bb6fe7db99ff0a148b72b46618b3f816.JPG

• Like 3

Great suggestion mysty! You can pay cash on the bus so no need to worry about tickets. A taxi would be about AUD20.00. The gardens are very good. They are not large but good for an hour or so. There are some spectacular tropical plants and also a good variety of orchids. The gardens have a funky cafe too.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Great suggestion mysty! You can pay cash on the bus so no need to worry about tickets. A taxi would be about AUD20.00. The gardens are very good. They are not large but good for an hour or so. There are some spectacular tropical plants and also a good variety of orchids. The gardens have a funky cafe too.

Thank you @turtlemichael !  I really appreciate it when someone familiar with the place chimes in with a thumbs up!  🥰

• Like 2

For our free day on Thursday Island we plan to visit Gab Titui Cultural Centre located at 22 Victoria Parade.  I found a great little place to check out for coffee and possibly lunch.  The Ma.Kai is located about a minute walk away at 34 Victoria Parade.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g495005-d12995784-Reviews-Ma_Kai-Thursday_Island_Queensland.html

Capture.JPG.4dd52cddb6721f54c1708d0521d223bd.JPG

• Like 1

Mysty I will  be able to  tell  you all  about Thursday island as we will be there on 20th November this year !  We are on the Muse  Japan - Singapore - Cairns 44 nights !  

As to  Cairns  make sure you have a good hat  and bug spray  - it will be very hot and humid -  so  keep  the fluids up !!  It was 30C on the same day  this year,  so  very warm for a Canadian !!  🙃

Edited by rojaan19
Added temp !
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

Mysty I will  be able to  tell  you all  about Thursday island as we will be there on 20th November this year !  We are on the Muse  Japan - Singapore - Cairns 44 nights !  

As to  Cairns  make sure you have a good hat  and bug spray  - it will be very hot and humid -  so  keep  the fluids up !!

@rojaan19 thank you so very much!  First hand reports are priceless!  We'll definitely follow your words of wisdom for Cairns! 🥰

9 minutes ago, mysty said:

@drron29 and @rojaan19 , you had posted at one time that you would be in Bali around March 15th 2024.  If so, could we possibly hook up? 😁

YES !!  We will be in Bali then,  we get on the Muse 18th March  sailing to  Japan !! We arrive in Bali  on 15 March,  staying for 3 days before we get on the Muse.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

YES !!  We will be in Bali then,  we get on the Muse 18th March  sailing to  Japan !! We arrive in Bali  on 15 March,  staying for 3 days before we get on the Muse.  

We sail in on March 16th and sail out on March 17th.  We have a dinner excursion booked for the 16th and nothing booked for the 17th.   Maybe we can make magic happen! 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mysty said:

We sail in on March 16th and sail out on March 17th.  We have a dinner excursion booked for the 16th and nothing booked for the 17th.   Maybe we can make magic happen! 😁

DEFINITELY  !!!  🤩 🥂 🤩

• Like 1

Maybe lunch on the 17th. We are staying at the IC Jimbaran Bay which is not that far from the port. So maybe at the IC or nearby. but if Jannie is on board for the World cruise we would love to have him along as well. then he could pay for your taxi. Maybe even lunch aboard and we might run into Miss Vicki.

• Like 1