Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

1 hour ago, CruiseRQA said:

I would hope X would strive to be a cut above its competitors not just "in line" with them. 

They used to. That's how they became the first line I (and others) checked when looking for a cruise. 

We have a lot of X cruises currently booked, mostly due to Lift & Shift & Shift & Shift 2020 and 2021 stuff in Australia/SP and Asia. We will take those, but we have definitely discovered that the value of small ship cruising in the last 13 months, and X is definitely encouraging us to look at small ship cruise lines first. 

20 hours ago, Ocdublin said:

Well I reached out by email and here is what I received.

Please be advised that the Oceanview Café will not be closed for dinner. The operating hours for dinner will remain the same, approximately, 6:00 – 9:30 pm. However, we will now have limited offerings. We will have one food station, which will host a 7-day rotational international-themed menu, a limited salad station, and pizza station. I am including a sample menu below with our Italian Theme Menu as an example. This menu is just a sample and subject to change.

•    Small Salad Station:
White Bean Salad
Tuscan Panzanella with tomatoes and spicy focaccia croutons
Chicken and pasta salad
•    Mains:
Pollo alla Cacciatore
Beef lasagna
Eggplant Parmigiano
Mix vegetable medley
•    Pizza Station:
Pomodoro
Pepperoni
Mushroom and vegetable

I hope this information is of assistance to you.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard your next sailing!

What about Vegan, GF and Diabetic Options ?? or have I missed them

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

More importantly, the desserts! 

Asian food options ?? For years I have substituted boiled or steamed rice for pasta and then added the pasta sauce.

On that sample menu, I never saw any grilled fish?? Or did I miss that too.

6 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Asian food options ?? For years I have substituted boiled or steamed rice for pasta and then added the pasta sauce.

On that sample menu, I never saw any grilled fish?? Or did I miss that too.

Beats me. We only do the MDR (TD or SD) early seating. 

Edited by davekathy

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Well if they are going to decimate the buffet for the evenings,  then one would think that X would replace that demand with something.  I would GUESS that could be some form of paid dining?  

Dining under the stars? At an inflated price of course.

Laura

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Well if they are going to decimate the buffet for the evenings,  then one would think that X would replace that demand with something.  I would GUESS that could be some form of paid dining?  

It would not surprise me if they turned the Oceanview dining into a paid option for other than a basic menu. 

• Like 1

I keep hoping the Oceanfront buffet keeps going! I can understand possibly offering a few less options….but we are a large family group cruising this coming summer on Reflection. We need food options and esp for kids! Will also eat in MDR….but…Will not pay extra for specialty dining. Even when it’s just my husband and myself…no specially dining! The one time we did was a disssappointment. 

As I posted on another thread under Celebrity, maybe this is an attempt to “encourage” people to return to the MDR because so many people remove gratuities using the excuse that they never use the MDR and only eat at the buffet…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RD64 said:

As I posted on another thread under Celebrity, maybe this is an attempt to “encourage” people to return to the MDR because so many people remove gratuities using the excuse that they never use the MDR and only eat at the buffet…

Eliminating an included dining venue isn't going to encourage more people to tip. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, all2me said:

I keep hoping the Oceanfront buffet keeps going! I can understand possibly offering a few less options….but we are a large family group cruising this coming summer on Reflection. We need food options and esp for kids! Will also eat in MDR….but…Will not pay extra for specialty dining. Even when it’s just my husband and myself…no specially dining! The one time we did was a disssappointment. 

I think most of us understand that cuts need to be made. I agree that offering fewer selections is something I can live with. But the menu shared is embarrassing for Celebrity. The drastic reduction in offerings means we will no longer partake in the Oceanview Cafe' for any dinners. Buckle up MRD, I suspect we aren't alone. 

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I have another fearless guess at what's about to happen to MDR menu, and I don't mean charges for a second lobster or reduction in classic offerings.

I'll make a new post when the time is appropriate. I'll be more careful with my wording in the title so not to be attacked. There's quite a few people in this thread that should question their approach to a stranger and/or would most likely be apologizing tail tucked between legs if they were not hiding behind a keyboard. 

The changes aren't done and the next round is going to make some of the current ones seem reasonable. 

If your big reveal is that they are reducing the number of Celebrity Signature Starters and Entrées in the MDR, that's already been posted and can be verified by looking at the menus for Beyond's current itinerary.

Here is a copy of the letter I wrote. Feel free to copy any of it if you feel the same.

I wrote to two other emails that bounced back, but both of these addresses appear to have went thru.

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com  

ExecutiveOffice@celebrity.com 

Good afternoon Ms. ________,

While I understand that scaling back on services offered is inevitable in the current financial climate, the menu posted on Cruise Critic of the new evening buffet options is extremely disappointing. The drastic reduction in offerings means that choosing the buffet for dinner is sadly no longer an option for us. 

There must be a better way to serve passengers who do not seek the formality of the Main dining room every evening. The Ocean view café' appeals to those with children, those who wish to dress casually, and those who seek a much quicker meal so they may fully enjoy other activities onboard.  

One suggestion I have is to add back one made-to-order station each night. It could rotate with the theme. The pasta station is excellent, as is the stir-fry and fresh grill. Offering one made-to-order selection each night, along with a more complete garden salad bar, will allow guests who choose the buffet a significantly higher quality dining experience.

I am sailing on the Constellation next week and am asking those in charge of these difficult cost savings decisions to consider my suggestions. It's one thing to reduce offerings, it's entirely another to make the reductions so drastic that opting for the buffet at dinner is no longer a viable.  

I love Celebrity. In fact, I was married onboard the inaugural sailing of the Zenith in April of 1992!! I understand that times are difficult for the industry, but hope that Celebrity can find a way to make the Ocean View Café' dinner reductions more palatable.

Thank you for any consideration you may grant this request.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

If your big reveal is that they are reducing the number of Celebrity Signature Starters and Entrées in the MDR, that's already been posted and can be verified by looking at the menus for Beyond's current itinerary.

No, but it's related.  Other cruise lines have had success in charging for some of their classic apps and entrees; and not in addition to a primary selection. That is being watched across the industry.  As I have noted in several posts, changes tend to be slight variations on a similar theme. 

3 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

No, but it's related.  Other cruise lines have had success in charging for some of their classic apps and entrees; and not in addition to a primary selection. That is being watched across the industry.  As I have noted in several posts, changes tend to be slight variations on a similar theme. 

And this is why you will not find me on those cruise lines. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

And this is why you will not find me on those cruise lines. 

Buddy you could be booked for any cruise line a few weeks, a month, from now and all of a sudden find out you ARE on one of those cruise lines. 

• Like 1

Just now, LMaxwell said:

Buddy you could be booked for any cruise line a few weeks, a month, from now and all of a sudden find out you ARE on one of those cruise lines. 

True.  But once that happens, it will not happen again. 

I am curious what would be a "classic apps and entrees" that other cruise lines use to have as included that is now being charged al a carte?

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

True.  But once that happens, it will not happen again. 

I am curious what would be a "classic apps and entrees" that other cruise lines use to have as included that is now being charged al a carte?

For example, on Holland America, shrimp cocktail is for a charge on the MDR menu, and there is no lobster night at all. It is available daily, for a charge. You'd think they did that to push you to specialty, but in their signature, top of the line restaurant that is $50 pp cover, lobster is still an upcharge there also. 

Other lines are flirting with charging for additional appetizers and entrees in the MDR. 

Celebrity has only gone so far publicly as scaling back # of choices and charging for a second lobster tail; not as egregious as others. All I am saying is all these companies watch each other and they split hairs slightly differently. When it works for one, the others follow. You've seen 2 changes to MDR this week. Ever see anything not happen in 3's? 

I applaud your fool me once, take my wallet and leave approach 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

For example, on Holland America, shrimp cocktail is for a charge on the MDR menu, and there is no lobster night at all. It is available daily, for a charge. You'd think they did that to push you to specialty, but in their signature, top of the line restaurant that is $50 pp cover, lobster is still an upcharge there also. 

That is a shame.  However, HAL was already on my list of cruise lines to avoid. 

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Celebrity has only gone so far publicly as scaling back # of choices and charging for a second lobster tail; not as egregious as others. All I am saying is all these companies watch each other and they split hairs slightly differently. When it works for one, the others follow. You've seen 2 changes to MDR this week. Ever see anything not happen in 3's? 

I noticed discussions of this but have not caught whether or not it has actually happened to anyone yet. .  Will have to catch up on that thread to see if anyone has actually experienced it yet. 

We sail mainly in suites on Celebrity and although these changes to the MDR and room service have not impacted us directly, I am concerned about the impact they are having to my fellow cruisers.

4 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I applaud your fool me once, take my wallet and leave approach 

It is one of the ways that I believe senior management may take notice.  The other,  more expedient way, as I said elsewhere is to write LLP and express your dislike or approval of these changes, whichever way you lean.  I have written my letter and received the same. 'canned' response reported by others.  Will have to wait and see.  

We are sailing on Millennium in April and what happens between now and then will determine whether we keep our November Millennium cruise or cancel. 

• Like 3

Just back from a cruise on Princess.  The ship was at about 95% capacity.  They were very short staffed.  For example cabin steward had 17 occupied mini suites - half with 3+ in a cabin.  Specialty restaurants - 2 of 4 closed.  Buffet had 1/2 closed after anout 7pm.  No stations except pizza.  1 MDR closed. 

Took 3 hours to eat in MDR unless one ordered everything on arrival.  Beverage service in MDR is generic wines and asst waiter getting drinks from a bar.

Even when open the Buffet had only a couple entrees.

Thus for those that are unhappy - you have a choice to go elsewhere; other cruiselines or simply stop cruising.  We will see in August how things look and then decide.  In the meantime am not booking future cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's not just Celebrity. Some of the more recent changes across the industry:  

RCL and NCL moved to stateroom cleaning once per day. https://www.cruisehive.com/service-change-spotted-on-royal-caribbean-ship/89773

RCL rolling out new menu fleetwide with fewer choices:  https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-confirms-new-menu-testing-fleetwide-changes/90426

Both Royal Caribbean and Carnival now charge for lobster: https://www.cruisehive.com/two-cruise-lines-make-lobster-changes-add-charges/88471

Royal Caribbean reduces loyalty program (so did NCL): https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-changes-loyalty-program-perk-for-top-tiers/86531

I believe all lines have increased gratuities: https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-increases-gratuities-across-all-cruise-ships/77637

I believe all lines have increased pre-cruise purchase prices: https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-doubles-price-for-a-popular-pre-cruise-purchase/86611

Carnival charging for more than one entree: https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-adds-dining-charges-and-makes-changes/86374

Carnival has gone to per item charges for room service. https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-makes-two-menu-changes-that-guests-might-not-like/84063

Celebrity makes significant beverage price increaese: https://www.cruisehive.com/celebrity-cruises-makes-significant-beverage-increases/90897

NCL lays off 9% shoreside employees:  https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-announces-9-staff-cuts-and-leadership-changes/90412

NCL now charges $5 for coffee delivery (no complimentary continental breakfast): https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-introducing-new-fee-guests-will-not-like/89662

Of all those changes, the one that specifically decreases my cruise enjoyment is Celebrity dismantling the ocean view Cafe'. I am totally fine with a reduction of choices, but the menu posted here removes the option to eat a healthy dinner from the buffet.

I am booked on Connie next week and I do not want to go thru the long drawn out main dining experience 10 nights in a row. It's fine some of the time, but I really do enjoy like sitting for extended periods of time in that environment.

Assuming I can order off the MDR menu for room service, I will pay the new room service charges to have a healthy dinner delivered. I don't believe it's a coincidence both of these changes (reduced buffet and increased room service charge) occurred simultaneously. I'm sad, but will make the best of it. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's not just Celebrity. Some of the more recent changes across the industry:  

Royal Caribbean reduces loyalty program (so did NCL): https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-changes-loyalty-program-perk-for-top-tiers/86531

Be careful of this one.  Nothing was reduced.  Read the article and it says that they are now asking for receipts to be signed when Diamond and above vouchers are used for drinks.  There were a lot of people complaining about finding others had obtained drinks using their vouchers so RCL said they were going to require signed receipts to stop this from happening.  

Reports are that receipts were given on a couple of ships for a day or two and then it stopped.  Guess it was too much of a hassle and slowed bar service, in addition to being a waste of paper. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Thanks 1