Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

20 hours ago, redjetz said:

But at some point, we should all consider moving up if Celebrity starts buckle and dining us like RCCL. 

12 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

I don’t disagree that at some point everyone should look elsewhere, but there is no cruise line that is immune to this problem. Oceania  is under the NCL umbrella.

Every single cruise line forum has the same posts, Changes , cuts, nickel-and-diming. 

The thing is though, while some people will look to move up from Celebrity, others will move up to Celebrity. The Carnival board has several posts about cruisers moving up from Carnival to Celebrity. DH and I are some of those cruisers, about to take our first Celebrity cruise after years on Carnival. These discussions are taking place across the whole CC forum board as all the lines look for ways to recover from the shutdown and debt burdens.

As long as most cruisers don't give up cruising altogether and new customers start cruising, there might not be any noticeable impact to any particular cruise company, but instead just be a realignment of passengers and their preferred lines.

Maybe someday we'll look back and refer to it as The Great Reshuffling. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

The Carnival board has several posts about cruisers moving up from Carnival to Celebrity. DH and I are some of those cruisers, about to take our first Celebrity cruise after years on Carnival.

I’d be curious to hear about how much you feel you’ve moved up after your cruise. Do let us know. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Possibly, but it would cost you $9.95 + 18% gratuity for another very limited menu.

Per person or per room number?

I think that I could find something I like on the room service menu.  If the OV is almost deserted then it might be a nice venue.

I would expect the MDRs to be overly packed.

Edited by NMTraveller

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I’d be curious to hear about how much you feel you’ve moved up after your cruise. Do let us know. 

I definitely will!

Just now, Ipeeinthepools said:

I haven't seen any fist fights on Celebrity.

And I've never seen any on Carnival (though I did see a man assault his wife on RCI but I never hear them getting dragged through the mud).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't like Carnival, mainly the ambiance and no quiet areas on the ship but the two cruises I had on Carnival the main dishes in the buffet and dining room were better quality than Celebrity. The deserts were lacking. Unfortunately both cruises there were activities during dinner where we were on teams that ruined the good food. Plus the servers had to dances and sing every evening. I wonder if they still do that. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't like Carnival, mainly the ambiance and no quiet areason the shio but the two cruises I had on Carnival the main dishes in the buffet and dining room were better quality than Celebrity. The deserts were lacking. Unfortunately both cruises there were activities during dinner where we were on teams that ruined the good food. Plus the servers had to dances and sing every evening. I wonder if they still do that. 

My wife and I did 10 days on Carnival Pride last year. Definitely not my favorite ship but we had no trouble finding quiet spots. The food was better than I expected though I’m not much of a dessert guy. There was one night with a short routine by the wait staff but I certainly don’t recall any activities that disrupted dinner. 

Just now, Charles4515 said:

I don't like Carnival, mainly the ambiance and no quiet areason the shio but the two cruises I had on Carnival the main dishes in the buffet and dining room were better quality than Celebrity. The deserts were lacking. Unfortunately both cruises there were activities during dinner where we were on teams that ruined the good food. Plus the servers had to dances and sing every evening. I wonder if they still do that. 

The buffet was horrible on our Carnival cruise this past year (even less options than I'm seeing suggested in threads today and very poor quality) and dishes in the MDR were very hit or miss but we had some good desserts.  Quality and variety had significantly gone down from our 2019 and 2017 Carnival Cruises.  

But Carnival still has Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana, and the melting lava cake.....

And yes, Carnival still does the dances and singing every night in the MDR.  We got good on our last cruise of timing our dining to sneak out just as "show time" was starting.  I felt sorry for the waiters expected to step away from their serving duties to participate in something many clearly didn't enjoy.

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Even assuming all the rumors about cuts on threads this week are completely true, in my opinion Celebrity will still be noticeably a few steps above Carnival.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Even assuming all the rumors about cuts on threads this week are completely true, in my opinion Celebrity will still be noticeably a few steps above Carnival.

I would agree. I just wonder by how much that gap has narrowed. I was flipping through Millennium MDR menus on the app earlier tonight. I was surprised to see every single appetizer being either a soup, salad, or pate. I don’t remember it being that sparse. 

16 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Per person or per room number?

I think that I could find something I like on the room service menu.  If the OV is almost deserted then it might be a nice venue.

I would expect the MDRs to be overly packed.

Per room number.  Unless they change it, you could order room service from the MDR menu during dinner hours.  So  order your MDR dinner from Room Service and have it delivered to the OV, no need to dress up, no lines no crammed together tables but there may be a wait so order early. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

If you're before final payment, it's time to cancel your next cruise.  Send your cancellation confirmation to LLP and let her know why you cancelled. 

We have never cancelled... wouldn't you lose a NR deposit regardless of how early you cancel? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The buffet was horrible on our Carnival cruise this past year (even less options than I'm seeing suggested in threads today and very poor quality) and dishes in the MDR were very hit or miss but we had some good desserts.  Quality and variety had significantly gone down from our 2019 and 2017 Carnival Cruises.  

But Carnival still has Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana, and the melting lava cake.....

And yes, Carnival still does the dances and singing every night in the MDR.  We got good on our last cruise of timing our dining to sneak out just as "show time" was starting.  I felt sorry for the waiters expected to step away from their serving duties to participate in something many clearly didn't enjoy.

Carnival definitely has a good thing going with the included dining venues like Guy's Burgers, Pig & Anchor, Blue Iguana, and Shaq's Big Chicken. The specialty restaurants on the Mardi Gras (like Rudi's Seafood and Emeril's Bistro) are excellent. Carnival seriously upped their game with these newest ships - they have a completely different vibe from traditional Carnival. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I would agree. I just wonder by how much that gap has narrowed. I was flipping through Millennium MDR menus on the app earlier tonight. I was surprised to see every single appetizer being either a soup, salad, or pate. I don’t remember it being that sparse. 

I don’t trust the menus till just before boarding.

Our upcoming Summit sailing shows no starters or  main dishes but on the bright side a total of 10 desserts.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Our upcoming Summit sailing shows no starters or  main dishes but on the bright side a total of 10 desserts.  

I hope you’re right. For my August Summit sailing, the app only shows Kids meal selections. 😂

13 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Here are some sample appetizers for my upcoming Millie cruise. Truth be told: I had to look up what a Rillette was. It’s pate 

1326F732-E75A-4226-88A2-EEB47834B1FA.png

E9EA826A-DCF5-4E32-8CE4-68788ACF50F8.png

0C8E282A-AD32-401C-BBA4-58DA1D82EADB.png

30 minutes ago, RichYak said:

What sailing date.  For April 21, I see the Timeless appetizers (caesar salad, french only soup, shimp cocktail, & escargot).  For regular appetizers the Beef Ragout, Waldrof Chicken Salda, Graden fresh salad, chickpea-tomato soup, & Asican consomme.  

As @jelaynesaid, I do not trust the app until much closer to the sailing date.   The only time I look at it this early is when question arise on here. 

34 minutes ago, LoveCruisingSD said:

We have never cancelled... wouldn't you lose a NR deposit regardless of how early you cancel? 

With a NRD you are charged a $100 pp and the remainder of the deposit is returned as a Future Cruise Credit.