New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I think they were charging for something at the Mast Grill. People were extremely upset and verbal about it and they rescinded the charge.

I don't know why but I find this charge very upsetting. It puts Celebrity into a different class of cruising than where i thought it was. We have nothing booked beyond our 2023 cruises and I was planning on booking on board but I think it's time to move up.

Like you, I don’t know why I find this charge so upsetting but I do. It’s not classy. Also, it’s changing the terms after the contract is completed. It’s not so much about RS per se but about ethics. What else will they put a price tag on?

• Like 9

11 hours ago, stellarose said:

on website

When you’re on vacation, a long morning slumber with an indulgent breakfast in bed is always in the cards. Or perhaps you like the idea of a romantic dinner for two on your private veranda? Room service is complimentary on a cruise with Celebrity between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. or for 24 hours a day for suite passengers.

Tuck into eggs, pancakes, and fresh fruit, or enjoy a cozy movie night with a burger and fries from the comfort of your cabin. There’s a mix of hot and cold all-day items, plus plenty of kids’ options to choose from.

Read: The Essential Guide to Cruising With Kids

WOW, the IT Department hasn't updated the web site about this. 🤯

I guess they'll get to this once they've solved Y2K. 

• Haha 1

My guess is that since the restart, room service has been much more widely used due to fear of covid. Passenger behavior has changed. This new fee is a reaction to that change, not just to increase revenue, but to nudge passenger behavior back to what it was. When you start charging for something that used to be free, a solid percentage of passengers will cease using the service.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

My guess is that since the restart, room service has been much more widely used due to fear of covid. Passenger behavior has changed. This new fee is a reaction to that change, not just to increase revenue, but to nudge passenger behavior back to what it was. When you start charging for something that used to be free, a solid percentage of passengers will cease using the service.

Or possibly change cruise line??

Time will tell

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This is an interesting theorem.  I can't refute it, but I'll take the other side of it...

The cruise lines knew, or had to know, that room service use was going to spike after the restart.  So rather than increasing that fee, they kept it artificially low, in order to encourage the activity that maximizes social distancing.  But these days they're choosing not to worry about social distancing, so they can let the room service rate float to where supply and demand dictate it should be.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, xxpinksaltxx said:

Someone posted a copy of the new breakfast room service menu that they received on the Reflection (I will try and find it), and it is only continental breakfast included now.

The eggs, bacon, pancakes etc are all now on the premium menu and included a $9.95 service fee plus tips :(. I think alot of people could make do having to pay after breakfast, but I know alot of people enjoy breakfast on their balcony (or even not having to change from their pjs), and don't want to drag plates of food through the elevators to their room. 

Photo taken by guest (not me) on Reflection.

FB_IMG_1672609386643.jpg

Wow this looks like something could have printed from my home computer. 😆 Guess they were in a rush to get it out. Just another shift I will make to stay within what is included in my cruise price. We typically get room service for port days that we are going on a planned excursion. I will just select items from the continental breakfast menu. Thank you for posting. 

2 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

This is an interesting theorem.  I can't refute it, but I'll take the other side of it...

The cruise lines knew, or had to know, that room service use was going to spike after the restart.  So rather than increasing that fee, they kept it artificially low, in order to encourage the activity that maximizes social distancing.  But these days they're choosing not to worry about social distancing, so they can let the room service rate float to where supply and demand dictate it should be.

I think that after the restart, with all the protocols, vaccine requirements, testing etc, cruise lines could only focus on one thing: attracting as many people on board as possible. Now, the shackles are off. The new business model is to charge as much for Retreat as possible and try not to pi$$ those passengers off. Everything else is seemingly in play.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RichYak said:

2 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

👍 👍

I like both of these.

Personally I can't get my boxers in a twist about this issue. In all the cruises we have done we might have ordered room service maybe once. I'm sure their are lots of cruisers who will pay the $9.95 plus gratuity for this service and some will not. A small number will choose to switch cruise lines over this issue. Most will not. 

Have to go now, the grocery delivery van is out front delivering our weekly order. Since Covid you will not catch Mrs. Dawg in a grocery store ever again. The fresh vegetables and fruit service delivers on Wednesdays. We gladly pay a delivery fee for those services. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

👍 👍

I like both of these.

Personally I can't get my boxers in a twist about this issue. In all the cruises we have done we might have ordered room service maybe once. I'm sure their are lots of cruisers who will pay the $9.95 plus gratuity for this service and some will not. A small number will choose to switch cruise lines over this issue. Most will not. 

Have to go now, the grocery delivery van is out front delivering our weekly order. Since Covid you will not catch Mrs. Dawg in a grocery store ever again. The fresh vegetables and fruit service delivers on Wednesdays. We gladly pay a delivery fee for those services. 🙂

It depends where you live and shop??

In the UK it is very easy to find suppliers who will deliver groceries FOC.

3 minutes ago, anniegb said:

It depends where you live and shop??

In the UK it is very easy to find suppliers who will deliver groceries FOC.

1 minute ago, anniegb said:

However in those instances, I always tip 🙂

Don't you lose your British citizenship if you tip? 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

12 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

I just posted another photo of what appears to be a charge in the mast grill for our February Antartica cruise. It showed up on the app when I looked up the cruise. Something weird is going on

link to that posting?

13 hours ago, stellarose said:

1---a long morning slumber with an indulgent breakfast in bed

2---a romantic dinner for two on your private veranda?

1--- How the hell can ya sit up in bed with a tray on your lap ? What if the coffee spills " you know where " ? Who's gonna get ya the jam sitting on the table or the coffee pot , or the plate of danish , or, or etc? 

2--- " romantic dinner for two  on your private veranda"---- Based on the demographics I've seen on Celebrity ---- I doubt it.

Mind you, I just thought of that " old fart " with the 32 yr old ---- Yup, that would work.

LOL-- We tried breakfast on our balcony once--- the stuff blew everywhere , the coffee was semi-warm , and my golf hat flew off into the ocean.

Idea--- What Celebrity should do is give us a discount of $9.95 ( no tip ) for every day we don't use room service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I would expect more fees to come in the future and more cutbacks. Things we might see in the next few years:

LOL--- Let's hope the 23 yr olds in Celebrity's Marketing Department don't read your post !!!

The only silver lining I can see with this charge is that you won’t see nearly as many dirty room service trays sitting in the hallways.  😂 

I must admit, though, I never ordered room service very often but since the restart back in 2021, it has been a great option of not eating in crowded venues.  Other than continental breakfast, I will probably go get my own food and take it back to our balcony.  

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

The only silver lining I can see with this charge is that you won’t see nearly as many dirty room service trays sitting in the hallways.  😂 

I must admit, though, I never ordered room service very often but since the restart back in 2021, it has been a great option of not eating in crowded venues.  Other than continental breakfast, I will probably go get my own food and take it back to our balcony.  

I agree with this thinking - and of course, this will then only lead to an increase in the dirty dishes left out in the hallways.....  

Maybe the next charge will be $1.00 for a dirty dinner plate, 50 cents for a glass, 10 cents for each piece of silverware ....

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Our 31 July and 9 August cruises (on Apex) show no additional charge for room service other than the $4.95 late night charge. 

Late night charge even for suites?  I understand butlers generally are not working at night.  In the morning, butlers usually deliver and set up the breakfast in suites.

8 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I would expect more fees to come in the future and more cutbacks. Things we might see in the next few years:

-Baggage fees. Someone else already mentioned this but I could totally see them modeling on what the airlines do and limiting the number of bags you are allowed to bring onboard then charging fees if you exceed the number or exceed a weight limit. Suites and likely Zenith would get extra bag and weight allowances without fees just like the airlines give more allowances to business/first class and higher level perks program members.

-Cafe Al Bacio charging a la carte pricing for their pastries and dessert items. Maybe keeping some very basic items like a plain croissant as complimentary.

-Mast Grill charging for items. I could see them reverting back to a modified version of this previous failed strategy where they do offer some free items, a very basic hamburger or hot dog, but then charge for a variety of deluxe burgers or dogs or deluxe fries with toppings, etc.

-Charging a la carte pricing for the Spa Cafe. Possibly keeping it a free included feature for Aqua Class.

-Adding fee areas at the buffet like maybe for higher grade cuts of meat at the carving station or grill, or for some deluxe sundaes at the ice cream bar, or some frou frou pizzas with fancy toppings.

-Removing robes from categories below Aqua Class; saves on laundry.

-Offering reserved lounge chairs at the pool for a fee. (Many people might actually like this idea)

-Removing items from the main menus at the specialty restaurants and adding them to the up charge category or possibly shifting the specialties totally over to an a la carte pricing model.

-Charging fees to use the Internet lounge

-Eliminating the welcome glass of sparkling wine

-Charging passengers fees for items bought in port that have to be held by cruise line until end of cruise (alcohol)

-Creating fee driven private lounging areas on the outdoor decks with nicer lounge chairs, maybe included waters, fruit, misters, etc. basically things that cost them basically nothing but they can charge a fee for to use the space

-Charging a fee for priority embarkation/disembarkation, priority luggage delivery to cabin and pick-up at terminal

And that might be just the beginning…

OMG, I wish you hadn't posted this!!  lol...it's much too logical...this list is probably being discussed in the marketing departments right now...🥺

Seriously though, none of these would surprise me...not anymore... 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

I agree with this thinking - and of course, this will then only lead to an increase in the dirty dishes left out in the hallways.....  

Maybe the next charge will be $1.00 for a dirty dinner plate, 50 cents for a glass, 10 cents for each piece of silverware ....

I didn’t think of it from that angle but you make sense.  
I would never leave my dishes on the floor outside my door but I’ve seen it so often.  I’ve seen passengers in wheelchairs struggle to get around all the roadblocks.  
It was years ago but they used to put a room service cart in a corner out of the way where passengers could deposit their trays.  I guess this was discontinued but it worked so well.  I’m sure there was a problem with that, one that I couldn’t see.  

This is from the app for the Beyond sailing March 2023.   

$4.95 for  for late night between 11p and 5 a for inside thru CC categroies

AQ and suites there is not charge 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

D6AC46C3-465D-406E-BAE9-D2BDD2730379.png

E09EA02A-45E3-4C6C-BB90-EA680A466959.png