They should add a 'Map' channel to TV or Navigator App

LMaxwell

On last cruise the screens on Deck 12 EXC were broken that show things like course, how much of voyage completed, where you are, current speed, water depth, etc.  Usually find this interesting and w only 1 spot and it broken, didn't get to check that out. 

Most other cruise lines have a TV channel with the map and travel information (distance traveled, for example, or distance remaining). Would like to see that added into TV or even better the Navigator app.  I mean...literally it's called Navigator. Would just be cool to see where you are and ships progress, maybe some highlights to facts about ports or link you right into the excursions menu? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In the past it has been available on public screens around the ship, it should be easy to add it to the in-room TV  offerings.  The forward camera, the aft camera, and the route and miles we’ve traveled, and where we are going.  I looked for the information on our recent cruise and didn’t find it.

• Like 1

It takes a bit of searching but I found it within one of the options on the Oosterdam TV in October.  Start from the options on the left-hand side and keep drilling down.  I believe the map page is on the top right-hand side within one of those options. Unfortunately, I am not currently on a ship or I would take photos of each step and post them.  Perhaps someone currently onboard will see this thread or you could ask on a current LIVE thread.

• Like 1

I am currently on Zuiderdam.

On the main menu, select 'Services & Information'

The top right selection is 'Ship's Location'

That brings up the same map that is available elsewhere on the ship.

20230101_205731.thumb.jpg.442e3a025dd8d48c1fcf999bc5e6e2d9.jpg

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

They used to give far more than an overview map.  They used to display water depth, weather systems, currents and more.  we truly miss that information presentation 

Agree with you! Also, if wind direction is shown, you can tell how windy it will be if you. plan to walk outside….if you are sailing with the wind directly behind the ship, it will be calmer vs. directly into the wind.

11 minutes ago, REOVA said:

They could put this info in place of FOX and MSNBC channels. Would be much more informative on a cruise than those channels. 🤞🤞 🤪

No valid reason there can't be both. 

• Like 2

Never did find it on the channels and there were no screens around the ship that I saw with it. 

I remember some older, non-HAL, ships had colored LED's on the maps, almost like a giant Lite Brite, and they would turn from green to red as the voyage continued on.  Fun, interesting, makes you pause and think about what you are passing or going to. If the channel exists should be easy to add to the app 

1 hour ago, PSR said:

Agree with you! Also, if wind direction is shown, you can tell how windy it will be if you. plan to walk outside….if you are sailing with the wind directly behind the ship, it will be calmer vs. directly into the wind.

If you look at the left-hand side of the banner on the bottom of the map that @richwmn posted, you can see that the wind is West (with specific degree direction) at 12 knots.  Here is a conversion chart:

0BF2AA49-4FCC-4BD0-AB5B-4F14E1BB4374.jpeg

• Thanks 1

This is what was available on Noordam back in Nov 2018 - I also wish they would bring back that level of detail (not necessarily the info it contained at the time 😨) Air temperature was shown below the map in alternating screens. 

PS: It was still like that on Noordam in April 2019

RX005701.thumb.JPG.0715cce41cdb68208c5b6d5f288f19f3.JPG

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, boeckli said:

This is what was available on Noordam back in Nov 2018 - I also wish they would bring back that level of detail (not necessarily the info it contained at the time 😨) Air temperature was shown below the map in alternating screens. 

Serious blow, that - but seems a bit early as the Sydney-Hobart race was over a month later 😈. If you were on your way to Burnie, I suspect a lot of folks didn't enjoy the Bass Strait. 

Can't top you on the wind speed, but raise you one on the lattitude ... 🍺🥌

1405873013_Longyearbyen(134).thumb.JPG.106069a0dce9c8282e65f9ee9fa9cd9b.JPG

8 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Serious blow, that - but seems a bit early as the Sydney-Hobart race was over a month later 😈. If you were on your way to Burnie, I suspect a lot of folks didn't enjoy the Bass Strait. 

We were on our way to Port Arthur,  which was cancelled and we proceeded straight to Hobart.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, boeckli said:

We were on our way to Port Arthur,  which was cancelled and we proceeded straight to Hobart.

Now I'm sure a lot of folks didn't enjoy the crossing! One of our finest-ever tours was out of Hobart - a RIB tour from Eaglehawk Neck around the south end of Tasman Island, then finished up in Port Arthur (they didn't keep us in the Penitentiary). Cheers! 🍺🥌

1275069968_Oz-NZ(1458).thumb.jpeg.22a4a23926ea662d4a3c828885c640d3.jpeg

Edited by CurlerRob
Correction
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

This is the map that was on the TV on the NA in November 2022

20221122_075528.jpg

That's the exact mapping program I saw recently in the newest Princess ship's TV. I liked it because you could zoom in or out for as much or as little detail that you wanted.  

It was also great to check what islands we were passing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, boeckli said:

One of our cruises this year had water temp (not sure why) on it and some one asked if they would put air temp and they did. So they definitely have the ability to change the info. 

13 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

If you look at the left-hand side of the banner on the bottom of the map that @richwmn posted, you can see that the wind is West (with specific degree direction) at 12 knots.  Here is a conversion chart:

0BF2AA49-4FCC-4BD0-AB5B-4F14E1BB4374.jpeg

Actually, what is posted (direction and speed) in that display is the ship’s heading and speed.  Wind speed and direction are on the weather page (another screen altogether on the interactive TVs).

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

Actually, what is posted (direction and speed) in that display is the ship’s heading and speed.  Wind speed and direction are on the weather page (another screen altogether on the interactive TVs).

Thank you!  I puzzled over that one, too, because I noticed that it matched the ship position exactly but decided I was wrong.  You’d think I would have clued in. 😂

48 minutes ago, CruiserKris34 said:

Since this is somewhat related, I would hope that each ship has a tv channel where you can see the camera on the front of the ship.  This way, if you have an inside cabin, you can see if you are in port.  Thanks!  

Yes, there is a bow cam and an aft cam.  The aft cam channel will broadcast the noon announcements (Captain and CD) as well as any scenic cruising commentary.  This is helpful if you are not out and about; you can just tune to that channel to hear it without opening your door.

• Thanks 1