Upgrade Question

Dreamcruiser185

As I am sure everyone would have read the terms and conditions before placing a bid, so they will be aware of what they are committing themselves to.

When it comes to winning a bid and not accepting as you are not happy with the location, they will be returned to another room in the category they had originally booked. As per the section of the T&C's below

Release of original booked Stateroom: Upon PCL accepting the Bid and sending the Upgrade Booking Confirmation, PCL will secure the upgraded stateroom for the Guest and the Guest becomes legally bound to complete payment for the price stated in the Bid. The Guest’s original booked stateroom will be released and become available for booking by any person. If the Guest fails to pay for the upgraded stateroom, PCL does not guarantee it will return the Guest to their original booked stateroom. The guest will however be returned to their original booked stateroom category.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, smwg said:

I think Club Class Minis are usually mid-ship.  I could be wrong.  Check your ship's map to be sure.

You are right for the most part.  There are a few club class mini suites way up front on the Royal Class ships, though.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

You are right for the most part.  There are a few club class mini suites way up front on the Royal Class ships, though.  

Yes there are.  But they have a separate category for the forward facing Club Class minis so there should be no chance of getting one way up front if you bid on the "regular" Club Class cabins.  This is from an upgrade email we received.

image.png.85d194b0d966bf04fedf85a596ba829f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

To the original poster.

You can lose the cabin you are in, and risk, again, being put back where ever they want to.  Then, if your cabin is no longer showing available, you won't be able to get it back.

That, to me is why we won't bid. 

I am picky about location!

Cabins above, below, and across the corridor!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

To the original poster.

You can lose the cabin you are in, and risk, again, being put back where ever they want to.  Then, if your cabin is no longer showing available, you won't be able to get it back.

Just to clarify, you would only risk losing your original cabin IF your bid is accepted and you choose not to accept, correct? 

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

To the original poster.

That’s why we are hesitant to bid, our mini suite we have now is in a nice location.  The only thing we don’t have is club class. 

• Like 1

When our bid was accepted for a full suite, immediately even before we paid the new cabin number was showing in my personalizer. We accepted the bid . However,later I had my travel agent check to see if I could get another location, she was able to switch cabins for us.

• Like 3

That is what I have been hearing,  that the new cabin assignment will show on your booking online before the email comes in.   Seems like it is kind of a done deal.

The only good thing is, If you do get a location that you do not like, but cabins with the exact same category  (DA, MA...) that you like the location better are still available, you could call right away and do a simple move.  It would have to be the exact same category.  A 'lateral' move. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ciera123 said:

Just to clarify, you would only risk losing your original cabin IF your bid is accepted and you choose not to accept, correct? 

No, read the T&C. If your bid is accepted your cabin is forfeit. If you do not pay for the upgrade, you may get your previous cabin back but Princess is not obliged to as you have agreed to give it up.

I have my profile set to decline upgrades (though this is about bidding for an upgrade).  I primarily cruise in Alaska and I am picky about the side of the ship, the deck level, and particularly what is above or below me (noise) and how close to the elevators the room is.  IF you agree to an upgrade, you may find yourself on the other side of the ship, by the elevator, under a bar! 

"Just Say 'no'"   Nancy Reagan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Womble99 said:

No, read the T&C. If your bid is accepted your cabin is forfeit. If you do not pay for the upgrade, you may get your previous cabin back but Princess is not obliged to as you have agreed to give it up.

Understood, thank you! We would except any mini suite, we’re not picky about location. Just want to make sure that if they DON’T accept our bid, my cabin remains the same, correct? 

2 hours ago, sirclean said:

I have my profile set to decline upgrades (though this is about bidding for an upgrade).  I primarily cruise in Alaska and I am picky about the side of the ship, the deck level, and particularly what is above or below me (noise) and how close to the elevators the room is.  IF you agree to an upgrade, you may find yourself on the other side of the ship, by the elevator, under a bar! 

"Just Say 'no'"   Nancy Reagan

Princess contract says they have the right to change your cabin at their discretion without recourse from you. Have read recent stories of cabins being changed even though passengers have opted for ‘do not upgrade’. So keep an eye on your cabin assignment. 

• Like 2

So far, they have not 'upgraded' me unilaterally.  But by saying 'no upgrade' I reduce the risk that what THEY think is an 'upgrade' will surprise me! 

On the other hand, on my very first cruise, I had an inside cabin (with a lot of family) going to Alaska.  I paid the full fare very early (like 9 months before the sailing date).  I found that I was upgraded somehow to a balcony, ADA rated cabin!  It spoiled me for life!  I really enjoyed that huge cabin (big enough to drive a scooter around the bed, a big balcony and a huge roll around bathroom!  My room was bigger than any of my other family member's! 

No one could explain the reason for the upgrade, and I have not been able to replicate it! 

After that, though, as I am picky about the cabin, I prefer not to risk the 'upgrade'. 

On 1/2/2023 at 11:00 AM, ciera123 said:

This is my question also.  If I do not accept the offer, will I still have my original cabin?  Princess contract states they can change location at any time---sooo, there is a risk involved, right?  Anyone else have their cabin changed after refusing a bid?.

Edited by shiner6