Which tour company

That reputation is grossly exaggerated. You can tour by yourself, especially get your own tickets to la Sagrada Familia. If you want a tour company for everything else get Spain Day Tours. Viator is a consolidator that subcontracts tours in many countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

That reputation is grossly exaggerated. You can tour by yourself, especially get your own tickets to la Sagrada Familia. If you want a tour company for everything else get Spain Day Tours. Viator is a consolidator that subcontracts tours in many countries.

So is it considered a safe place to walk around?

8 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

It's very much a drive by with photo stops. It's ok if that is all you want. Tickets to  Park Guell and SF are extra and you can do that on your own easily. Make sure the ticket to SF includes a guided tour.

I would use Spain Day Tours for a walking tour of the Gothic Quarter. They would also be good for a trip to Montserrat if you want to get out of town.

8 minutes ago, marazul said:

It's very much a drive by with photo stops. It's ok if that is all you want. Tickets to  Park Guell and SF are extra and you can do that on your own easily. Make sure the ticket to SF includes a guided tour.

I would use Spain Day Tours for a walking tour of the Gothic Quarter. They would also be good for a trip to Montserrat if you want to get out of town.

No, not what I had in mind. How long would it take to see SF and PG?  SF has guided tours? I will check their website again to look for a tour of the Gothic Quarter.  

I’m thinking one full day pre cruise will be sufficient, plus the day we fly in. 

7 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

No, not what I had in mind. How long would it take to see SF and PG?  SF has guided tours? I will check their website again to look for a tour of the Gothic Quarter.  

I’m thinking one full day pre cruise will be sufficient, plus the day we fly in. 

Sagrada Familia has tours.  Here is the website:

https://sagradafamilia.org/en/tickets

The tour is one hour.  You should arrive at the site half an hour before and you might add a little more time at the end.  You can also add going up to the towers.  But it is safe to count on two hours from arrival to exit.

BTW - taxis are reasonable and all over the place.

The timing is reasonable.  Don't forget you also have the morning of embarkation.  And you might want to go back in the future.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Is the Old Quarter the same thing as the Gothic Quarter?

Yes.

I wasn't familiar with that tour company, but they have really good tours.  I think the "Ultimate Barcelona" sounds great. It includes the Gothic Qiarter, inside of la Sagrada Familia, and Parc Guell.  You can visit the inside of Casa Batllo or La Pedrera on your own on your half day there. 

Edited by marazul

2 hours ago, marazul said:

Yes.

I wasn't familiar with that tour company, but they have really good tours.  I think the "Ultimate Barcelona" sounds great. It includes the Gothic Qiarter, inside of la Sagrada Familia, and Parc Guell.  You can visit the inside of Casa Batllo or La Pedrera on your own on your half day there. 

20 hours ago, cruiservirginia said:

We were very happy with Spanish Trails. 

https://spanish-trails.com/

I really like this one.  It looks like we could get everything in in one day.  So fly in on on Tuesday, do this full day tour Wednesday, cruise begins Thursday.  https://spanish-trails.com/tours/barcelona-city-tours-bcn-small-group-explorer-8-hour/  Depending on what time our flight is, we may have time to do the evening food and wine tour Tuesday evening.  If not, we could play it by ear once we arrive.  It will be a long flight!  I think we're going to stay at the Hotel Jazz.  

3 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I really like this one.  It looks like we could get everything in in one day.  So fly in on on Tuesday, do this full day tour Wednesday, cruise begins Thursday.  https://spanish-trails.com/tours/barcelona-city-tours-bcn-small-group-explorer-8-hour/  Depending on what time our flight is, we may have time to do the evening food and wine tour Tuesday evening.  If not, we could play it by ear once we arrive.  It will be a long flight!  I think we're going to stay at the Hotel Jazz.  

That tour sounds really good. A word of warning.  Dinner in Spain starts at 8:30 pm at the earliest. That means, do the food tour Wednesday night, not Tuesday.  Some tapas places might start earlier,  but that is tourist time. You might not be awake at that time on Tuesday to really enjoy the food tour. 

You will have plenty of time on Tuesday to tour on your own in the afternoon, maybe a Gaudi house (I know, I am pushing it, but it is worth it), or the Picasso Museum, or walking Las Ramblas (watch your purse). And then ask at your hotel where to go for something to eat early.  You will crash that night and be ready for a long, full day on Wednesday. 

7 minutes ago, marazul said:

That tour sounds really good. A word of warning.  Dinner in Spain starts at 8:30 pm at the earliest. That means, do the food tour Wednesday night, not Tuesday.  Some tapas places might start earlier,  but that is tourist time. You might not be awake at that time on Tuesday to really enjoy the food tour. 

You will have plenty of time on Tuesday to tour on your own in the afternoon, maybe a Gaudi house (I know, I am pushing it, but it is worth it), or the Picasso Museum, or walking Las Ramblas (watch your purse). And then ask at your hotel where to go for something to eat early.  You will crash that night and be ready for a long, full day on Wednesday. 

The food and wine tour starts at 6:30, it's tapas.  https://spanish-trails.com/tours/tasting-barcelona-food-wine-tour/  I will mostly likely be too tired Wednesday after an 8 hour tour to do it.  We will probably take a nap and go out for a late dinner or just grab a snack and go to bed early.  Besides, after sitting on a plane all day, it will feel good to walk around a bit and let someone show us around and enjoy some local food and wine.  I don't want to walk around Las Ramblas by ourselves.  I've read too many stories about robberies and pickpockets.  If we're up to it, we could always see something before we get on the ship Thursday, although I'm always excited to get onboard.  I believe we're seeing one of Gaudi's houses on the tour.  We could possibly do the museum Tuesday or Thursday, depending on location.  I have no idea where any of this is in relation to Hotel Jazz, although I could use maps to find out.

• Like 1

Just now, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The food and wine tour starts at 6:30, it's tapas.  https://spanish-trails.com/tours/tasting-barcelona-food-wine-tour/  I will mostly likely be too tired Wednesday after an 8 hour tour to do it.  We will probably take a nap and go out for a late dinner or just grab a snack and go to bed early.  Besides, after sitting on a plane all day, it will feel good to walk around a bit and let someone show us around and enjoy some local food and wine.  I don't want to walk around Las Ramblas by ourselves.  I've read too many stories about robberies and pickpockets.  If we're up to it, we could always see something before we get on the ship Thursday, although I'm always excited to get onboard.  I believe we're seeing one of Gaudi's houses on the tour.  We could possibly do the museum Tuesday or Thursday, depending on location.  I have no idea where any of this is in relation to Hotel Jazz, although I could use maps to find out.

Do try to stay awake Tuesday before the tour. Otherwise you might not get over jetlag very easily.

Yes, the tour mentions seeing the Casa Batllo from the outside.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from Casa Batllo or 20 minute walk from Picasso. 

If you want the museum, make sure you get tickets ahead of time. For Batllo, you can go before it opens and get in line, actually, you can get your tickets on the website for the next morning after you see the outside.

Anyhow, you have good plans. Barcelona is a really lively city with great food and wine.  

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:27 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I've read too many stories about robberies and pickpockets. 

The Ramblas is always busy and full of life (mainly tourists) and yes, pickpockets are an issue, but it is certainly not dangerous. Walking along it is perfectly safe, safer than some cities in the UK and the US! 

Leave all your valuables in the hotel and just carry one credit card and some spare cash. Don't let the scare stories put you off.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Barcelona is no worse than NY, London, Paris, Rome etc
Just be careful, I have toured Barcelona 3 times without issue, each time using the public transport.
I have seen pick pockets at large but again, they won't bother you if you're careful.

It's a fabulous place with lots to offer, just be sensible.

I would recommend the HOHO bus to get around, stopping at each attraction.

On 1/1/2023 at 6:17 PM, marazul said:

Make sure to book your Segrada Familia online AT LEAST a couple of days in advance and select your time. Best time to visit is sunset with the setting sun shining through the stained glass. Unreal. Spiritual. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lindalaw said:

Make sure to book your Segrada Familia online AT LEAST a couple of days in advance and select your time. Best time to visit is sunset with the setting sun shining through the stained glass. Unreal. Spiritual. 

A couple of days in high season might not be enough if you want a specific time.  

Try a couple of months. 

Yes, sunset is magical, but the timing might not work for everyone. 

Edited by marazul