Anyone Currently on Explorer?

Trunkabella

Well it is Saturday at noon on the Explorer and we are still getting the hull cleaned.  The captain reported the area with the worst growth has been cleaned.  Due to the rough seas yesterday, the job was no finished.  We will be staying put until the job is done and meets New Zealand’s requirements.  

Today the seas are calmer and the divers are working on the starboard side of the hull.  Hopefully that is the last section to be cleaned.  Now word as to hen we will leave or when we will arrive in Auckland.  

41 minutes ago, GaCruiser53 said:

Now word as to hen we will leave or when we will arrive in Auckland.  

GaCruiser - so awful that your trip has been such a bust.  If you find the time, can you please update us when you have more information?  Thanks.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:54 AM, Lonestar101 said:

Regent is offering passengers a 100% refund of the cruise only fare.  Exact amounts are still being tabulated. 
About 130+ passengers permanently disembarked Seven Seas Explorer when it docked in Adelaide Jan 4th.  They had to make their own travel arraignments and pay for their trips home.  The rest of us are continuing on.  The ship’s crew has been fantastic. I feel sorry for them because they get no days off.  Full service all the time.

The ship is scheduled to go offshore from Adelaide, and rendezvous with a cleaning vessel for 24-hours and then proceed directly to Auckland, arriving Jan 12th.  At least that’s what we’ve been told.

I wish Regent was more transparent about how this all happened.  

My wife, Johnetta and her mother Millie, are on this cruise with you. If you see them, say hi!

Edited by dvalentine823
  • Like 2

Your post

My 74 year old mother and her 83 year old boyfriend are on the ship right now. They have been given the runaround from day one. Basically they are going to be cruising for 14 days straight. The ship offered to get them off in Adaline but said they were on their own and they would be not responsible for anything. My mom try to extend her trip for days so that they could see these once in a lifetime destinations and Regent didn’t even let them change their flight home. They paid almost $60,000 for this trip and the way this company is handling. It is nothing short of disgusting! I have reached out to them through social media email and phone with no result. I will keep trying in hopes of getting them compensation for having to purchase a new flight home. 

Well it is Thursday 12Jan and we are finally in Auckland.  We are off of the cruise to nowhere.  Now the fun begins on getting the refund and letting home office know that this was not the “Unrivaled Experience” that Regent claims that they provide.  

12 hours ago, GaCruiser53 said:

Well it is Thursday 12Jan and we are finally in Auckland.  We are off of the cruise to nowhere.  Now the fun begins on getting the refund and letting home office know that this was not the “Unrivaled Experience” that Regent claims that they provide.  

Actually I hope it was an "Unrivaled Experience," since the term means there's no other experience like it.  Let's hope it stays that way. 😜

• Haha 4

And todays announcement NZ did another inspection and we need to be cleaned Again!  Skipping bag of islands and offshore at the moment to be cleaned.  

Something  is definitely afoul in NZ and I don’t thing is the marine fungus.  

• Thanks 4

On 1/5/2023 at 9:37 AM, Pcardad said:

No.

YES it seems.  There must be something behind the scenes going on with inspectors - one clears it then another rejects it.  Fungus doesn't grow that fast on a moving ship in 5 days and if it did it would be on every ship.  

• Like 1

Ship looks lovely.  Staff seems a little worn out and with another cancelled port they must be disappointed as well.  Even though we requested red bull on the online form our suite as well as other items, I don't think anyone reads them.  Our Butler hasn't found any so not sure if they didn't put onboard or ran out, either way DW not very happy.  

25 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Even though we requested red bull on the online form our suite as well as other items, I don't think anyone reads them.  Our Butler hasn't found any so not sure if they didn't put onboard or ran out, either way DW not very happy.  

If you want to know if they got your request for Red Bull just check the piece of paper given to waiter when you check into Compass Rose; it should be on there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

If you want to know if they got your request for Red Bull just check the piece of paper given to waiter when you check into Compass Rose; it should be on there.

I spoke with Butler - He is going to work on getting some - they had it in every store in Auckland, so worst case we can pick some up in our next port.  

They just posted a letter that they will be giving a $250 OBC PP for the lost port day.  

I still would like to know why these approved cleaning companies are falling short or is it overzealous NZ inspectors.  The fact explorer (and a host of other ships) were in Auckland port presumably means that the fungus is already in NZ waters. Not sure what the end game is as far as NZ or what game they are playing.  

I am no marine expert….and I hate to state the glaringly obvious here. What is Regent’s protocol for regularly cleaning the hulls of its ships? It appears that, at least for the Explorer, the hull has not been cleaned recently? Countries such as NZ, are (understandingly) trying to minimize the introduction of foreign invasive species into their waters. Any cruise line sailing internationally should understand this, and have a regular and rigorous hull cleaning protocol. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

I am no marine expert….and I hate to state the glaringly obvious here. What is Regent’s protocol for regularly cleaning the hulls of its ships? It appears that, at least for the Explorer, the hull has not been cleaned recently? Countries such as NZ, are (understandingly) trying to minimize the introduction of foreign invasive species into their waters. Any cruise line sailing internationally should understand this, and have a regular and rigorous hull cleaning protocol. 

Hulls are cleaned regularly as a dirty hull hurts fuel consumption and that is a HUGE expense. NZ's rules are off the chart in terms of normal but cruise lines comply. Regent paid to have a company that was APPROVED BY NZ clean the hull and the company failed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

I spoke with Butler - He is going to work on getting some - they had it in every store in Auckland, so worst case we can pick some up in our next port.  

They just posted a letter that they will be giving a $250 OBC PP for the lost port day.  

I still would like to know why these approved cleaning companies are falling short or is it overzealous NZ inspectors.  The fact explorer (and a host of other ships) were in Auckland port presumably means that the fungus is already in NZ waters. Not sure what the end game is as far as NZ or what game they are playing.  

This is definitely a NZ authority issue.  Too many ships with complete and repeated disruption.  Hopefully, the many tour operators in NZ will convey their disappointment to officials at so much lost revenue in these very difficult recovery times. Truly sorry for everyone on all of the ships that did not get to enjoy all that NZ has to offer including her lovely citizens. 

9 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

>>They just posted a letter that they will be giving a $250 OBC PP for the lost port day... 

I am also on this cruise and like Lonedaddy said, the ship is looking great and the crew are doing their job to the Regent standard I remember.  Had the miso black cod (perhaps my favorite meal that Regent does) last night in Pacific Rim and it was yummy!  (And maybe a pro tip to those new to Regent:  If you go to Compass Rose and there is a wait, the maitre'd will either ask you if you want to join a table or wait but I asked if any of the specialty restaurants had anything open.  He called Pacific Rim and voila, table for two!  Another time, got a table at Prime 7.  Particularly on the first night, it seems like Compass Rose gets backed up around 8pm).

And TBH, if someone asked me if I would take a $250 p/p OBC to skip the Bay of Islands, I'd jump at it.  Particularly after looking at the fancy wine list, there are some *real* bargains to be had.  (Not that my wife would let me but a 2016 Opus One is $495; Offhand, I think one would be hard pressed to find this retail for this).

Off course, I will start getting grumpy if any more ports are missed.  (Really looking forward to Rotorua).  But in the meantime, I guess going to make lemons into limoncello... 😀 

Edited by rkaratsu
  • Like 6

Explorer was granted temporary permission to enter tauranga so we get to see Hobbiton but we now depart at 3pm vs 4pm and need to finish cleaning resulting in missing next port Napier.  Must have taken a call from del rio to the idiots in the NZ govt to make this happen (imho)

hopefully it is smooth sailing from then on.  Another letter is forth coming .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The letter came and gave us another $250 pp shipboard credit.  Regent sells itself as “all-inclusive”, so shipboard credits are not of much value to me.  We felt that the first $250 pp was generous, but we’re not happy about missing Napier and don’t feel that another shipboard credit compensates for the miss.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Trunkabella said:

The letter came and gave us another $250 pp shipboard credit.  Regent sells itself as “all-inclusive”, so shipboard credits are not of much value to me. 

Thanks for sharing.  You should check to see if it's refundable, and if it's not, then lobby for it.

• Like 2

Our excursion in Napier was cancelled before they cancelled the stop, so that kind of made things easier, but I didn’t book this trip for sea days.  We will use the credits, we like to order wine.  Forget the spa, the prices are ridiculous at thus point - haha unless they are quoting in New Zealand dollars and in New Zealand they don’t tip!  

Did anyone hear why we needed to be back on the ship at 3, but we didn’t leave until after 5?