Princess Vacation Protection?

Clampram

19 minutes ago, wallyworld583 said:

What is different if you have Tricare for Life? Having filed several claims, if Medicare rejects then Tricare doesn't even bother to review .  If you have had a different experience I would be interested in hearing about it.  

We have Tricare for Life and would suggest you call their number for them to explain about their coverage outside of the US. Tricare is considered to be secondary insurance if you have travel insurance  I was told they do cover medical care if you are outside of the US  So far, we have only had to file for reimbursement  from  Princess insurance for medical services while on the ship.  Have never had  any medical services provided  while off the ship.  

On 1/3/2023 at 8:44 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Please take note that those of us on Medicare cannot count on it covering any medical issues if you are out of the country (you didn't state where your cruise was...)

Take a look at Geo Blue Trekker:

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-5-overview.cfm

This is annual coverage for multiple trips/cruises and has both medical and evacuation coverage worldwide.

We did experience this after our New Years’ cruise this year. DH contracted Covid on day 3. I remained neg. entire time, thankfully.

Between Dr “phone visit” and consult, Paxlovid, acetaminophen and cough drops he said he didn’t need, the bill came to over $900+. They actually used all our onboard credit  (without even asking) but was fine. He did quite well, we feel,  due to being updated on boosters and generally healthy, he suffered no ill effects.  My point is that in filling out the paperwork for our Humana PPO, they stated they do not reimburse for care or meds outside the US. So I next went to AON and got their paperwork. Completed quickly and sent out…was pleasantly surprised that by week three, DH got an email that it had been approved and we had the check by week four.  In the meantime, Humana called back and said 

“based on the Covid diagnosis, we can cover you for both medical and Pharmacy expenses.” So I filled out those forms too but then realize, one cannot file duplicate claims…so cancelled. That’s all I need to get hauled off to jail for insurance fraud. 😱

Nice surprise! I wish others I read about on here worked that easily. 

Thanks 

10 hours ago, wallyworld583 said:

What is different if you have Tricare for Life? Having filed several claims, if Medicare rejects then Tricare doesn't even bother to review .  If you have had a different experience I would be interested in hearing about it.  

I have TFL and Medicare. I have never had to file a claim outside the USA however with those. I always get "trip" insurance within days of booking a cruise, with enough coverage for everything I can think I would need coverage. Fortunately I have only had to cancel cruises before they happened, so I avoided all the stress of handling that mess: I have cancelled myself, or had cancelled (Hurricane Irene about 8 years ago) only 2-3 times in forty years. Oh, I did have a $50 claim once for a visit to the ship's doctor while onboard once....I almost didn't bother; figured it would he a hassle filing out the paperwork....which is was.....then it took 7 weeks for reimbursement.

I don't know how TriCare would handle an emergency such as we're discussing in the thread. Since I have always get "trip" insurance anyway I don't worry about that. Knock on wood I never had to find out how they'd handle it!🙄

Doug

9 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

...............Tricare is considered to be secondary insurance if you have travel insurance  I was told they do cover medical care if you are outside of the US .....

That is my understanding also, I meant to add that to my post but forget. TriCare is never the primary insurance, but would come into play if your situation exceeded the coverage of your primary. I've never had to do that, and I don't recall how it would work. Perhaps someone else has?

Doug

• 1 month later...

We recently cancelled our first cruise ever at a bit over 30 days before boarding and we had the Princess Vacation Protection deluxe plan for the basic plan price.

I assumed it would be a big drawn out process when I called the travel agent but quite quickly she was back on the line saying all done, you will receive the refund to your credit card soon. My first thought was that I thought I had to identify why we were cancelling to determine if it would be a refund or a future cruise credit.

Sure enough, I now see some of what I paid refunded to my credit card but not all. Presumably the refund would be cruise cost plus fees and taxes but not the cost of the insurance. But our refund so far looks to be around 70% give or take. Or maybe. It is all of the port fees and taxes and about half the cruise cost. Do I have to do anything else? I’m wondering now if Princess refunded port fees and taxes and just the % of refund based on days before the cruise and maybe I have to contact AON to get the rest?

And what happens about the two Future Cruise Deposits we used to book? They still show attached to the cancelled cruise when I look online. Will they eventually land back in our accounts or do we get paid out for them as well?

Thanks for any help!

5 minutes ago, AE_Collector said:

We recently cancelled our first cruise ever at a bit over 30 days before boarding and we had the Princess Vacation Protection deluxe plan for the basic plan price.

I assumed it would be a big drawn out process when I called the travel agent but quite quickly she was back on the line saying all done, you will receive the refund to your credit card soon. My first thought was that I thought I had to identify why we were cancelling to determine if it would be a refund or a future cruise credit.

Sure enough, I now see some of what I paid refunded to my credit card but not all. Presumably the refund would be cruise cost plus fees and taxes but not the cost of the insurance. But our refund so far looks to be around 70% give or take. Or maybe. It is all of the port fees and taxes and about half the cruise cost. Do I have to do anything else? I’m wondering now if Princess refunded port fees and taxes and just the % of refund based on days before the cruise and maybe I have to contact AON to get the rest?

And what happens about the two Future Cruise Deposits we used to book? They still show attached to the cancelled cruise when I look online. Will they eventually land back in our accounts or do we get paid out for them as well?

Thanks for any help!

The Future Cruise Deposits are probably gone.

You received your pro-rated portion of your cruise back to your credit card plus taxes and port charges.

You do need to go onto Aon's site and file a claim. If it is medical - there is a form for you and your doctor to fill out. If you are cancelling for any reason - there is another route to go to get future cruise credit.

https://www.aontravelclaim.com/#/home 

• Thanks 1

Okay thanks. I’m surprised that no one mentioned needing to contact AON for the rest of it but that’s what happened. It will be interesting to try to figure how the FCDs figure into it when the dust settles as yes they may be gone as in payed out but they are a part of the cruise cost so their value shouldn’t disappear. 

Since the insurance is sold by Princess I’m surprised there isn’t an updated statement showing all the numbers. Maybe there will be but nothing I have found so far.

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, AE_Collector said:

Okay thanks. I’m surprised that no one mentioned needing to contact AON for the rest of it but that’s what happened. It will be interesting to try to figure how the FCDs figure into it when the dust settles as yes they may be gone as in payed out but they are a part of the cruise cost so their value shouldn’t disappear. 

Since the insurance is sold by Princess I’m surprised there isn’t an updated statement showing all the numbers. Maybe there will be but nothing I have found so far.

Thanks!

The FCD is considered payment. If it is approved as medical, you will be reimbursed in cash. If it is considered "cancel for any reason" - it will be paid in FCC. They just see it as a payment towards the cruise.

I did get a cancellation notice from my agent with what Princess would reimburse me and then what was not reimbursed (what I would need to claim for insurance purposes).

When you go to AON - their system is tied into Princess. You put your booking number in and it is coordinated behind the scenes.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Coral

• 5 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 9:33 PM, Coral said:

The FCD is considered payment. If it is approved as medical, you will be reimbursed in cash. If it is considered "cancel for any reason" - it will be paid in FCC. They just see it as a payment towards the cruise.

I did get a cancellation notice from my agent with what Princess would reimburse me and then what was not reimbursed (what I would need to claim for insurance purposes).

When you go to AON - their system is tied into Princess. You put your booking number in and it is coordinated behind the scenes.

I hope this helps.

Do you know if you CFAR, not medical, if you will lose the PVP insurance costs?  TIA

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Do you know if you CFAR, not medical, if you will lose the PVP insurance costs?  TIA

If you are asking if you cancel for no reason with Princess's insurance, do you lost the cost of the Princess insurance? Yes you do.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 8:17 AM, Clampram said:

I cannot find a section about insurance on the website for Princess. I have a cruise booked in March nd did not yet purchase anything. because we are "platinum" with Princess, is it still true that we receive  "basic"  insurance (we haven't cruised in a while). 

Thanks

Check out Insuremytrip.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Years ago, I would buy the PCL insurance when we could get the premium, but stopped because hihgly unlikely we will CFAR and have better medical coverage elsewhere.  Saved a lot in 8% premiums.

We switched to Princess insurance after reaching the wonderful age where Allianz premiums almost  doubled. CFAR is good for us when we need cancel last minute 

13 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

We switched to Princess insurance after reaching the wonderful age where Allianz premiums almost  doubled. CFAR is good for us when we need cancel last minute 

I keep hoping when we get to a riper old age, insurance companies will have evidence that we are aging more gracefully and living longer and won't be such huge risks.

• Like 1