New MDR menus yet?

1 hour ago, Miloomar said:

I think it's more embarrassing for the adult to have the palate of an 8 year old. Every single day on the menus that were tested last month had a few "safe" options that a reasonable adult would enjoy as well as a couple more adventurous items (such as the indian selection). Maybe the type of "adult" who thinks applebees is fine dining should stick to the buffet

Our last cruise was a B2B -- The lunch menu, unlike the dinner menu, was not different all seven days and when you have 14-days of more or less the same menu choices, you look for alternatives.  Ordering off the children's menu has nothing to do with the palate but more to do with wanting to try something different.   Personally, I like being served my meals when I cruise and I tend to avoid the buffet for that very reason.  We made it a habit of walking through the buffet around and then going into Coastal Kitchen for lunch.  We knew if we saw something in the buffet that we really had to have, the wait staff in Coastal Kitchen would have been more than happy to prepare a serving of that for us but other than steamed rice with most meals, including breakfast, we ordered off the menu, either adult or children's. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Yeah, but we non-pinheads have to order from the kiddie's menu.😂

LOL...I book GS and above when on a ship with a CK.   Pin heads have nothing to do with it.  

It's the one way I can be sure to have access...works for me.  😉 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree.

This morning I had my car serviced. The dealership always has drinks and tempting snacks. Don't tell anyone but I had two Pop-Tarts untoasted of course and a small OJ in a carton. Now would that be consider "adventurous". BTW, no little kiddies were harmed or injured during my quest. 😂

Un toasted??? !!   Blasphemy!   OK...shout out to cookie dough eaters.  😄 😄 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

Our last cruise was a B2B -- The lunch menu, unlike the dinner menu, was not different all seven days and when you have 14-days of More or Less the same menu choices, you look for alternatives. Ordering off the children's menu has nothing to do with the palate but more to do with wanting to try something different. Personally, I like being served my meals when I cruise and I tend to avoid the buffet for that very reason. We made it a habit of walking through the buffet around and then going into Coastal Kitchen for lunch. We knew if we saw something in the buffet that we really had to have, the wait staff in Coastal Kitchen would have been more than happy to prepare a serving of that for us but other than steamed rice with most meals, including breakfast, we ordered off the menu, either adult or children's.

Yes there is certainly a difference between being tired of the menu vs not finding anything on the menu that you would eat. But 99% of the complaints about the menu are the opposite of your situation. People afraid to try new things. After 5 years of the exact same menu, you'd think more regular sailors would be more like you where they want to see new things. My father is like that, he has been on so many cruises that he basically asks if they can prepare him anything off menu or has been trying more specialty dining just out of boredom of the same old menu on every cruise. Better to be bored of a menu than to be scared of it

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Our last cruise was a B2B -- The lunch menu, unlike the dinner menu, was not different all seven days and when you have 14-days of more or less the same menu choices, you look for alternatives.  Ordering off the children's menu has nothing to do with the palate but more to do with wanting to try something different.   Personally, I like being served my meals when I cruise and I tend to avoid the buffet for that very reason.  We made it a habit of walking through the buffet around and then going into Coastal Kitchen for lunch.  We knew if we saw something in the buffet that we really had to have, the wait staff in Coastal Kitchen would have been more than happy to prepare a serving of that for us but other than steamed rice with most meals, including breakfast, we ordered off the menu, either adult or children's. 

I have just recently, the last few months,  discovered the Vegan menu (thank you app!)....which is never printed on the MDR menus.   Not that I am a Vegan...but I have found a few things that were pretty good, and fun to try something new.  🙂 

And something that Bucky does not have to roll his eyes up and go "eww" at if I were to "try this at home".  😉   

Edited by island lady
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

I have just recently, the last few months, discovered the Vegan menu (thank you app!)....which is never printed on the MDR menus. Not that I am a Vegan...but I have found a few things that were pretty good, and fun to try something new. 🙂 

While you're right it's not advertised, they do print the Vegan menus if you ask for them. If you tell them on day 1, they'll bring it to you every night without having to ask again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

I have just recently, the last few months,  discovered the Vegan menu (thank you app!)....which is never printed on the MDR menus.   Not that I am a Vegan...but I have found a few things that were pretty good, and fun to try something new.  🙂 

Can you get items from the Vegan with a side of lamb shank? 
 I have nothing against vegetarians, vegans, etc.  I have had some very tasty vegan dishes but wonder if they would not be even a little better with added non-plant based protein. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

On days when the main courses do not appeal to me in CK, I have ordered the burger from the kids menu.  It's a regular sized burger and has been quite delicious.  

When I have not felt like a burger, the Spaghetti Bolognese from the kids menu was also very tasty. 

If I order from the kids' menu will my fellow cruisers be appalled if I pair that kiddie burger with a nice Merlot and not a glass of milk? 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have nothing against vegetarians, vegans, etc. I have had some very tasty vegan dishes but wonder if they would not be even a little better with added non-plant based protein.

I did on my last sailing. Since some of the main courses definitely lack in sides, a vegan entrée or app as a side sometimes works. You don't need to be vegan to order vegan food

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miloomar said:

While you're right it's not advertised, they do print the Vegan menus if you ask for them. If you tell them on day 1, they'll bring it to you every night without having to ask again

Interesting...and very nice to do so for true Vegans.   I actually have fun scrolling through the menu the morning before to see "What's for dinner" on the app.  🙂 

I have nothing against vegetarians, vegans, etc.  I have had some very tasty vegan dishes but wonder if they would not be even a little better with added non-plant based protein. 

Dh always asks for the Vegan menu in addition to regular menu.  While he usually doesn’t eat meat on the cruise, I do and I order from the Vegan menu, usually the soups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Naturally you won't be asked to walk the plank if you get something from the Vegan selection, to add to your "carnivore" entre.  😄 

3 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

If I order from the kids' menu will my fellow cruisers be appalled if I pair that kiddie burger with a nice Merlot and not a glass of milk? 🤔

I have never had that happen with Merlot, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, or a Long Island Ice Tea.   YMMV depending on your fellow cruisers.   

2 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Dh always asks for the Vegan menu in addition to regular menu.  While he usually doesn’t eat meat on the cruise, I do and I order from the Vegan menu, usually the soups.

We do "Impossible Burgers" at home.  Love them...though it took Bucky awhile to get used to them.  He does like his "cow" in reality when he can get it.   He is a steak guy for sure.  We don't eat steaks at home, but I will munch on one on occasion with him on the ship.  😉 

Me...I love fish and chicken.  

2 minutes ago, Miloomar said:

Yes there is certainly a difference between being tired of the menu vs not finding anything on the menu that you would eat. But 99% of the complaints about the menu are the opposite of your situation. People afraid to try new things. After 5 years of the exact same menu, you'd think more regular sailors would be more like you where they want to see new things. My father is like that, he has been on so many cruises that he basically asks if they can prepare him anything off menu or has been trying more specialty dining just out of boredom of the same old menu on every cruise. Better to be bored of a menu than to be scared of it

Speaking only for myself, when I order an item like Mac n Cheese off the kids menu it has absolutely nothing to do with being tired or scared (😂) of the menu or not finding something appealing. It's all about getting something I like in addition to my selections that's not offered on the MDR menu. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Don't tell anyone but I had two Pop-Tarts untoasted of course 

YES!!!!!!  And I thought I was the only one that prefers my Pop-Tarts (Brown Sugar and Cinnamon) untoasted.  My wife and I love Pop-Tarts and have for decades.  She likes hers toasted and I don't.  After 49 years of marriage, she still has to say, "I can't believe you eat those things untoasted".  Now I just laugh and continue to stuff my face.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Oh no...another one that needs to walk the plank!!  😄 😄 

I have a nice Sauvignon Blanc with my Vegan selections....is that allowed I wonder?  ☺️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Speaking only for myself, when I order an item like Mac n Cheese off the kids menu it has absolutely nothing to do with being tired or scared (😂) of the menu or not finding something appealing. It's all about getting something I like in addition to my selections that's not offered on the MDR menu. 

I have never been scared of food.  😄 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

We do "Impossible Burgers" at home.  Love them...though it took Bucky awhile to get used to them.  He does like his "cow" in reality when he can get it.   He is a steak guy for sure.  We don't eat steaks at home, but I will munch on one on occasion with him on the ship.  😉 

Me...I love fish and chicken.  

I love food !   There are some things I will not eat but not a whole lot in the scheme of things.

I only eat lamb when on a cruise or in a restaurant.  My wife does not like the smell of it when it's being prepared and so I do not eat lamb at home.   I really enjoy well prepared lamb and order it almost every time it is offered onboard.  I think the only time I have come close to raiing my voice to a waiter on a cruise was when one tried to put that mint jelly concoction on my lamb shank - blasphemy. 

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I have a nice Sauvignon Blanc with my Vegan selections....is that allowed I wonder?  ☺️

I dunno -- that's a tough call.  After all it is a white wine and not a delicious red. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Oh no...another one that needs to walk the plank!!  😄 😄 

In my world it does. Sauvignon Blanc does make everything taste better. 😉

• Like 2

This whole discussion has reminded me of that wonderful song by The Guess Who.

🎶

I'm scared, Lord I'm scared, I'm terrified
Never been much of a foodie 
But I sure enough would like to avoid this crap
Said I'm scared Lordy Lord, I'm shakin', I'm petrified
Never been much of a foodie
But I sure enough just fell down on my knees

... and upchucked this new menu crap 🎶

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Liver and onions, kidney, tripe, haggis, asparagus, and more scare the crap out of me!

Uh-oh...you just hit on the "bachelorette" menu I have on the rare times Bucky is gone.  Chicken livers and onions...Mmmmm.....    And I do love asparagus.   

Now tripe, haggis, and kidneys....will keep that opinion for when I meet those items.  Always up to try something new.  😄 

• Haha 2

Speaking of Banana Splits.   How is the quality of the Royal's ice cream?   What brand would you compare it to?   

I frequently find myself disappointed in restaurant ice cream.  I admit to being spoiled, but I realize that there are other worthwhile ice creams than Blue Bell.  For example, people rave about the shakes at Toothsomes near Universal in Orlando.   The Ice Cream is grocery store generic quality.