New MDR menus yet?

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Liver and onions, kidney, tripe, haggis, asparagus, and more scare the crap out of me!

I have had them all -- nothing to be afraid of at all.   Besides, what about blood sausage? Do not see that on the list and it was intimidating at first but in name only.   

Just now, DaKahuna said:

I have had them all -- nothing to be afraid of at all.   Besides, what about blood sausage? Do not see that on the list and it was intimidating at first but in name only.   

Found that for breakfast in the WJ on a ship one time (can't remember which one).   Tried it...umm...not my style...but I did try it!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Liver and onions, kidney, tripe, haggis, asparagus, and more scare the crap out of me!

We really like asparagus. I cut it from the ditch banks in the spring west of our house when I'm walking. We were disappointed on our March Explorer cruise when we had the broiled lobster and it came out with broccoli. Speaking of liver (🤮) and onions on the same cruise the couple (the guy) next to us asked the head waiter why they don't offer liver and onions in the MDR. Yikes! My wife likes it. But she has a lot more adventurous palate than I do. But I can eat more than her. She claims I have two hollow legs. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, island lady said:

Un toasted??? !!   Blasphemy!   OK...shout out to cookie dough eaters.  😄 😄 

Ha, yeah! My Grand Daughter doesn't understand how I can eat cold Pizza but shes first eat raw cookie dough. About 50yrs eating Poptarts, havn't toasted them since mid 70's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

We don't have ice cream very often at home...but neither of us find anything wrong with RCI's ice cream.  

Guessing either Blue Bell....or Blue Bunny?  

Blue Bell is a lot better ice cream than Blue Bunny.  Royal used to make their own ice cream but I don't remember hearing if they still do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

LOL, being from Montreal Canada originally and of English decent, I was brought up on Blood Pudding/Sausage for breakfast.  Sliced and pan fried in butter.  Loved it.  Haven't had it in decades, though.  Haggis is a Scottish meal, the national meal, I believe.  My grandparent were from England and they loved Haggis but they didn't have it often.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Blue Bell is a lot better ice cream than Blue Bunny.  Royal used to make their own ice cream but I don't remember hearing if they still do.

Damn, I thought they still did. Oh well, whatever it is I still like it waaaaay too much. 

Just now, davekathy said:

Damn, I thought they still did. Oh well, whatever it is I still like it waaaaay too much. 

I have no idea as we haven't done a galley tour in a long time.  Maybe someone here knows if do make it onboard.

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

Guessing either Blue Bell....or Blue Bunny?  

Blue Bell is the pinnacle of all ice creams .
Blue Bunny is the only ice cream that I've ever rejected.  I was hungry, had a bite, and then tossed the rest.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Speaking of Banana Splits.   How is the quality of the Royal's ice cream?   What brand would you compare it to?   

I frequently find myself disappointed in restaurant ice cream.  I admit to being spoiled, but I realize that there are other worthwhile ice creams than Blue Bell.  For example, people rave about the shakes at Toothsomes near Universal in Orlando.   The Ice Cream is grocery store generic quality.  

Their soft serve, as far as I'm concerned, is about at the lowest end of the "ice cream" hierarchy. It's no better than "ice milk" as far as I'm concerned.  However, any port in a storm.  I eat it.

As far as the dipped ice cream in the restaurants, I like it but I don't know what the brand is.  We don't do ice cream unless it is a special trip to the ice cream shop, usually.  I do like Hershey Ice Cream.  I won't even look at a container of Ben & Jerry's.  However, when we do by ice cream at the grocery store, the best ice cream I've ever had is Publix brand ice cream.  Man, it's good.  Publix is a grocery chain in the S.E., for those that aren't familiar with it, and I'd say they are just a cut above Kroger's, a lot above IGA, Winn Dixie, and most of the other big box/national grocery brands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

76 years growing up in different ethnic New York City neighborhoods and I have found ONLY one thing that I do not see any culinary value in, AVOCADO.

Tastes to me like flavorless Crisco and I do like most other greasy foods both animal and vegetable, LOL

Avocado oil is great in the pan but as a fruit, Why bother ?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

76 years growing up in different ethnic New York City neighborhoods and I have found ONLY one thing that I do not see any culinary value in, AVOCADO.

Tastes to me like flavorless Crisco and I do like most other greasy foods both animal and vegetable, LOL

Avocado oil is great in the pan but as a fruit, Why bother ?

Guacamole!  Nuff said.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

My father used to make braciola from tripe in a wonderful meat sauce/gravy.  Simply delicious.

36 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Blue Bunny is the only ice cream that I've ever rejected.  I was hungry, had a bite, and then tossed the rest.  

My problem with the serving of Ice cream in the MDR its half melted by the time it's served--but still delicious.  Give me Dairy Queen soft serve with a chocolate topping (brown top).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Ha, yeah! My Grand Daughter doesn't understand how I can eat cold Pizza but shes first eat raw cookie dough. About 50yrs eating Poptarts, havn't toasted them since mid 70's.

Now I have been known to munch on a piece of cold pizza....and even lick the spoon when making cookie dough....but still can't gather my brain around cold pop tarts.  😉 😄 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BND said:

Prior to Covid, Royal and many other lines used San Bernardo ice cream. Not sure if they still use it but recently the ice cream on board  is loaded with ice chunks. 

m

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We really like asparagus. I cut it from the ditch banks in the spring west of our house when I'm walking. We were disappointed on our March Explorer cruise when we had the broiled lobster and it came out with broccoli. Speaking of liver (🤮) and onions on the same cruise the couple (the guy) next to us asked the head waiter why they don't offer liver and onions in the MDR. Yikes! My wife likes it. But she has a lot more adventurous palate than I do. But I can eat more than her. She claims I have two hollow legs. 

When I grew up as a kid in Michigan, our neighbors had an Asparagus field near us. We had a long gravel driveway next to it.  Lots of seeds would blow into the sides of the driveway when it was done for the season. 

Naturally the next spring...wow...lots of fresh young Asparagus.  The parents would drop my sister and I off at the road to walk the 1/2 mile driveway home, picking the fresh young stalks that sprang up along side of it.  Mmmm...talk about fresh for dinner!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Now I have been known to munch on a piece of cold pizza....and even lick the spoon when making cookie dough....but still can't gather my brain around cold pop tarts.  😉 😄 

Once you go non-toasted you'll never go back. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I retired from US Foodservice.  Our commercial division sold Blue Bell to RCI for many years.  The hospitals and nursing homes I had as customers loved it too.  🙂 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BND said:

I have no idea as we haven't done a galley tour in a long time.  Maybe someone here knows if do make it onboard.

Galley tour??!!  😮

Oh no..no..no!!  Reminds me too much of the stressful job I had with being a territory manager selling food to restaurants.  

48 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Have not been in the food service business for years...but it indeed was Blue Bell.  I hope it is still that brand.  🙂  I sold a lot of it!

• Like 1