New to Silversea, which ship?

Ajbike

Good Afternoon All,

I realize that this question is VERY subjective but I value the opinions CC members.  We are not frequent cruisers but we have decided to do a couple upcoming, (one in 2023 and one in 2024). The 2024 is decided as we are traveling with relatives so we will be doing Celebrity Infinity,  Athens to Athens . But for 2023 dear wife really wants to do a Croatia intensive, there is an Azamara cruise in October that fits our budget and having sailed with them on a Spain intensive we really like the line. That said our travel agent has suggested we look at Silversea, which is only a bit more expensive (Vista class suite) and includes tour excursions. My question to you is which ship, we actually have a choice of three, Moon, Whisper and Spirit. Any differences or all three basically the same? Also, anyone have experience booking vista suite and getting upgraded to balcony?Thank you !! 

15 minutes ago, Ajbike said:

we actually have a choice of three, Moon, Whisper and Spirit. Any differences or all three basically the same?

Any differences?  Really?  That’s your first question here?  Look, there are dozens of really good people here in the SS forum who are willing to share a wealth of information, but few have any interest in spoon feeding here. So, to get the greatest amount of your questions answered, I’d encourage you to spend some of your own time familiarizing yourself about SS and the three ships you note. The SS website will show you all the detailed differences. Then return here with specific questions and you’ll get a plethora of advice, because the ships are quite different.

15 minutes ago, Ajbike said:

Also, anyone have experience booking vista suite and getting upgraded to balcony?

Yes. If space is available upon embarkation, you can pay the fare difference.  I saw it happen onboard before, but it cost the upgrading couple more money than what they spent on a Vista booking.

Also, others have had luck making a “guaranty” reservation and getting upgraded to a balcony.  This method is rare relative to the thousands of passengers who sail.

• Like 2

The Moon is one of the newest ships, Whisper is one of the oldest and Spirit is in the middle. 

Moon and Spirit are much larger than Whisper.

I agree with Stuumblefoot,  check out the SS website and you can see all the differences at your leisure.

• Thanks 1

I'm  happy to give you my "elevator pitch."  For someone taking their first cruise on Silversea, I would recommend the Moon.  It has more dining venues than the Whisper and in particular has the S.A.L.T restaurant (featuring cuisine from the area you are visiting) and especially the S.A.L.T. bar which is a great favorite on these boards.   The Spirit is about the same size and instead of S.A.L.T., has a pan-asian fusion restaurant called Indochine, which also has some big fans.  Both have a dedicated coffee venue called the Arts Cafe.  The Whisper is much loved (it has been used for the World Cruise for many years) but is about half the size (which could be a plus for you) and has not been updated.  It does not have S.A.L.T., Indochine or the cafe.  

I hope you do give Silversea a try, but whatever you choose it sounds like you will have a great itinerary.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Is there a place on Whisper to get espresso-type coffee and croissants at breakfast?

Hi Jazz, check The Panorama Lounge. They usually have coffees, teas, etc in the mornings. There is no Arts Cafe on Whisper.

Thank you so much everyone. I just realized I had a senior moment and the Whisper and Moon Croatia intensives are for 2024. The only choice in our budget is the Spirit (still a great ship from what I can see) But dates are 8/2 and 8/9. All my research shows Croatia in August is going to be HOT and CROWDED. Do you agree?

Now I'm thinking the Azamara Pursuit in early October, Crowds should be thinner and the temps look very reasonable (compared to Vermont anyways LOL)

4 hours ago, Ajbike said:

Thank you so much everyone. I just realized I had a senior moment and the Whisper and Moon Croatia intensives are for 2024. The only choice in our budget is the Spirit (still a great ship from what I can see) But dates are 8/2 and 8/9. All my research shows Croatia in August is going to be HOT and CROWDED. Do you agree?

Now I'm thinking the Azamara Pursuit in early October, Crowds should be thinner and the temps look very reasonable (compared to Vermont anyways LOL)

You might want to check Seabourn also.  Have fun.

Keep in mind Seabourn prices don't include excursions.

Edited by RetiredandTravel