Looking for someone currently on Edge (1/3/23) that can confirm/deny scaled back dinner buffet??

BermudaBound2014

10 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

To answe some of the questions that were posed. The photos I took were after we finished our dinner in Normandie at about 7:30. Much of the seating area in the OV was dark. Those of you familiar with the OV on Edge know about the area on the back wall where they traditionally offer made to order steaks and fish etc. That area was totally closed. The photos may have been a little exaggerated due to my shock in how little was actually open. We did not walk to the back of the OV so I can neither confirm or deny the Pizza area availability. 

On the question about a Room Service charge. We still have not been charged for our Room Service breakfast from this morning and I will challenge any charge if it does show up since it was not on the menu card we filled out the night we placed the order. The only mention of a charge in the App is the $4.95 charge for the late night service. 

One additional change we noticed today was the lunch in the Eden Cafe. The size of the terrific brownies and chocolate chip cookies has noticeably decreased. The food was still very good but to a chocolate aficionado like my DW it was disappointing. Especially since she spent an hour in the fitness center today before lunch to offset her cookie enjoyment. 😉

On a positive note, we saw the 9:00 Kaleidoscope show. We’ve seen it before, but this cast was terrific. 

Again, thank you so much for this live report. It's the only way to put the rumors to rest. We have often enjoyed the made to order grill (fish, chicken, steak) at the dinner buffet and it's a little disappointing to read that is gone now.

Celebrity offered a nice choice for those of us who want a small/simple/quick grilled to order dinner. That particular change of removing the grill items will effect my enjoyment. I can't book elsewhere as I leave next week. I know it's hard for some to understand, but there is a portion of the cruising population who prefers the buffet option for a whole array of reasons that don't include gluttony. Not to mention, if the MDR was slow before????

I sincerely appreciate the time you are taking for the live reports and continue to wish you a wonderful vacation. 

• Like 10

We will be on the edge in a week and to say I’m disappointed is an understatement.

we would eat dinner in the OV a couple times a cruise just to remove ourselves from dressing for dinner and to have more of a casual dinner.

this along with all the other cut backs I’m not really understanding, especially since I have just been told by an employee of another cruise line that their CEO made a 13 MILLION  dollar bonus this year, and the employees themselves have been cut in a lot of areas. It is rather disgusting that the employees and guests are the ones sacrificing. I’m sure this post too will be removed from the boards!

• Like 8

Not a good sign.  Going on the Edge in February and was looking forward to the super grill night that we enjoyed on the Apex last year.

Remember when X offered sushi at 5 O'clock in the OV???

I honestly don't mind smaller portions.  I prefer trying little bites of items and hate waste.  If I am really that hungry - I'll indulge in another bite.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

We will be on the edge in a week and to say I’m disappointed is an understatement.

we would eat dinner in the OV a couple times a cruise just to remove ourselves from dressing for dinner and to have more of a casual dinner.

this along with all the other cut backs I’m not really understanding, especially since I have just been told by an employee of another cruise line that their CEO made a 13 MILLION  dollar bonus this year, and the employees themselves have been cut in a lot of areas. It is rather disgusting that the employees and guests are the ones sacrificing. I’m sure this post too will be removed from the boards!

It will end up destroying them.  There’s indeed a lot of greed up at the top these days.  All the cruise lines are in a state of panic right now.  It’s like trying to bail water out of a boat with a giant hole in it in the middle of the ocean.  This time next year will show the carnage.  Sadly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arubamoose said:

Not a good sign.  Going on the Edge in February and was looking forward to the super grill night that we enjoyed on the Apex last year.

Remember when X offered sushi at 5 O'clock in the OV???

I honestly don't mind smaller portions.  I prefer trying little bites of items and hate waste.  If I am really that hungry - I'll indulge in another bite.

I remember high tea time and decadent midnight buffets in the good old days of Celebrity.

• Like 5

I just told my friend about the changes. We leave next week. She brought up another point about the dinner buffet.

She is pretty upset because she did not want to eat in the MDR much at all. She said post covid she prefers to get her food and eat in an uncrowded area (perhaps even outside) in order to maintain social distancing. 

Given how crowded the MDR is, and how often we sit inches from strangers in an enclosed room, her concern seems legit to me. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just told my friend about the changes. We leave next week. She brought up another point about the dinner buffet.

She is pretty upset because she did not want to eat in the MDR much at all. She said post covid she prefers to get her food and eat in an uncrowded area (perhaps even outside) in order to maintain social distancing. 

Given how crowded the MDR is, and how often we sit inches from strangers in an enclosed room, her concern seems legit to me. 

Cruising is probably not the vacation for people who need to social distance.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Cruising is probably not the vacation for people who need to social distance.

I agree that cruising is probably not the vacation for anyone with high concerns about infection. She doesn't have what I would consider "high" concerns. Neither one of us have comorbidities.

She doesn't 'need' to social distance, she prefers it if given a choice. Just like she prefers to social distance here when we go out to venues (if given a choice). I'm unaware of any place to social distance in the MRD, so no choice.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Short of wearing a hazmat suit, there are inherent risks in our just day to day living.  With these concerns, I'd not be cruising.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

Or perhaps once you are board, you will say, hmmm, this is much better than I anticipated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, I was raving after my first Celebrity cruise in August about how interesting their buffet was, with lots of Indian offerings and a rotating manager's special that included several kinds of creme brûlée. If this is a fleet-wide choice, it actually also impacts the crew who eat there every evening. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Or perhaps once you are board, you will say, hmmm, this is much better than I anticipated.

There has been photo confirmation of both the the reduced OV dinner café offerings and increased room service charges.

I'm unaware of many people who will be pleasantly surprised with increased cost and reduced choices.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

One more thing to add. They had staff clicking in the number of people entering the OV tonight. A sure sign that X is tracking the number of guests “eating” tonight. What they don’t track are the number of guests that enter and exit without eating once they see the basic offerings. 

Thanks for providing great information! I am on the next sailing after you and am driving in from Virginia arriving early boarding day. Can you give any insight on boarding processes? They don't have us scheduled to board until 1-1:30 and I'm specifically wondering how strictly that is enforced. I hate the thought of sitting around that long... Also, what dining venues are available when you board? Any other tips and tricks for the Edge are appreciated. Have a great cruise!!

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree that cruising is probably not the vacation for anyone with high concerns about infection. She doesn't have what I would consider "high" concerns. Neither one of us have comorbidities.

Speaking of infection, one reason I tend to avoid dining in the buffet is because I do not like that they have returned to the "self-serve" model. The grossness I have seen over the years made me hope that lines would continue to serve passengers in the buffet. HAL has done it for years and it is one point in their favor. 

I eat breakfast there only reluctantly (heading straight for the eggs benedict station where I order and am served my dish), and I try to avoid it for lunch whenever possible. Haven't eaten a dinner there in years -- yet the changeover concerns me because I fear the MDRs will become a lot less enjoyable.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Fivelinks said:

Thanks for providing great information! I am on the next sailing after you and am driving in from Virginia arriving early boarding day. Can you give any insight on boarding processes? They don't have us scheduled to board until 1-1:30 and I'm specifically wondering how strictly that is enforced. I hate the thought of sitting around that long... Also, what dining venues are available when you board? Any other tips and tricks for the Edge are appreciated. Have a great cruise!!

We also drove from VA. They were checking boarding times. We had 11-11:30 and arrived 10 minutes early but they let us enter where we sat and waited until about 12:15 when they started to board in groups based on where you were seated. They did stop allowing people into the waiting area for about 20 minutes because it was full. There were queue lines to enter based on assigned times. A lot may depend on how many passengers are expected. If you get there we’ll before your assigned time the likelihood is you’ll need to wait. 

As far as lunch options it’s the OV Cafe, Mast Grill, Le Grand Bistro. Spa Cafe and Eden Cafe were not open. 

No real tips other than cruise with an open mind and don’t sweat the small stuff. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

It will end up destroying them.  There’s indeed a lot of greed up at the top these days.  All the cruise lines are in a state of panic right now.  It’s like trying to bail water out of a boat with a giant hole in it in the middle of the ocean.  This time next year will show the carnage.  Sadly.

The problem is overpaid executives and consultant firms the company hires. The shareholders and cruisers are left holding the bag while these fat cats cash out. This company needs to delight its customers not take away beloved features. Maybe Carl Icahn can buy in….

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Southern_Roots said:

The problem is overpaid executives and consultant firms the company hires. The shareholders and cruisers are left holding the bag while these fat cats cash out. This company needs to delight its customers not take away beloved features. Maybe Carl Icahn can buy in….

The problem is 30 Billion in debt which was created by shuttering the cruise lines for 18 months. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Speaking of infection, one reason I tend to avoid dining in the buffet is because I do not like that they have returned to the "self-serve" model. The grossness I have seen over the years made me hope that lines would continue to serve passengers in the buffet. HAL has done it for years and it is one point in their favor. 

Last time I was on Oceania (it was pre-COVID) their buffet also was NOT self-serve except for some minor items.  That is one of the reasons I like them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Last time I was on Oceania (it was pre-COVID) their buffet also was NOT self-serve except for some minor items.  That is one of the reasons I like them.

I'm trying out Oceania for the first time later this year and yes, I am looking forward to experiencing a new line.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm trying out Oceania for the first time later this year and yes, I am looking forward to experiencing a new line.

They are smaller ships however, I really love them.

24 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The problem is 30 Billion in debt which was created by shuttering the cruise lines for 18 months. 

Lol thank you for pointing out the complete obvious. It takes a good management team to navigate through tough times and the board and executive team continues to make poor decisions to line their pockets with fat salaries. Instead of delighting themselves with fat pay checks and bonuses, they need to delight their customers……... you know the ones that will keep them in business.

• Like 2

I honestly cannot blame them for shutting down the OV for dinner.  I would sometimes go to eat a simple salad for dinner and this would be when the entire OV was open.  It would indeed be a ghost town.  Every station was open - and nobody was there.  A huge waste.  While I understand a few people may want to eat there for dinner, it is does not make economic sense to keep it open to serve a few.  So yes, that means I may miss out on getting a salad there too.  No worries - I will keep cruising and just need to pick and choose in getting something light either in MDR or begging for a main dish salad in Luminae (yeah, good luck).

• Like 3