HAL Cabin Upgrades

arijsky

Hi, everyone.  I’ve seen posts by people who have been contacted by HAL regarding cabin upgrades.  I’m interested in anyone with experiences in this regard. Did the cruise line contact you directly or did they reach out to your TA?  Does reaching out to the cruise line ever yield results or is it best to wait?  Finally, when do these offers typically occur?  Thanks for all your help. 

Upsells, often.  Upgrade....sometimes.  Do you have a guarantee, or did you pick your room?  Also, check with your TA to see if they marked your file for an upgrade.  I have also heard that the Big Box Agencies often don't let you know if you have been offered an upgrade/upsell.

It can happen though.  Someone on the World Cruise was upgraded to a Verandah today...while they were in port!

L.

• Like 1

Have had 2 upgrades (free) through the years but not for a very long time.  They are now doing upsells for every cruise we’ve been on recently.  We book a cabin we like so seldom pay extra to change.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

So no free upgrades on HAL?

Unless it's during a promo "book a ocean view and get a balcony cabin" or you ask when checking in at the terminal (after they've assigned guarantee cabins), HAL rarely does free. Usually they'll offer a discounted price and you have to respond immediately (or asap). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, leerathje said:

Upsells, often.  Upgrade....sometimes.  Do you have a guarantee, or did you pick your room?  Also, check with your TA to see if they marked your file for an upgrade.  I have also heard that the Big Box Agencies often don't let you know if you have been offered an upgrade/upsell.

It can happen though.  Someone on the World Cruise was upgraded to a Verandah today...while they were in port!

L.

I booked the cruise myself and chose my cabin. Would it have been better to let HAL select my cabin?

4 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I booked the cruise myself and chose my cabin. Would it have been better to let HAL select my cabin?

Not necessarily. We are particular about location (noise, access, view from balcony) so would never work for us but you definitely want to avoid below or above common areas where noise may be a factor, vents on the ship where wind may blow smell of unwanted air to your balcony, near noisy kitchen or mechanical sections, etc if you want to enjoy the vacation. Some folks are light sleepers or more susceptible to noise so also depends on what you and yours thresholds would be. And since you have the opportunity of choice of cabin for this ship (unlike your past ships 😁) why not take advantage. 

I receive emails from the Holland America Inventory Dept. a week or so before the cruises (not every cruise). We jump on the Neptune Suite upgrades (always a cost but not so bad and always worth it). Usually receive the upgrade offers a couple of times a year and we can choose our cabin.

We upgraded to a Neptune on our December cruise. After extensive research, I called the upgrade number and asked what was available. I believe this was 12 days prior to sailing. At that time, upgrade was $550 per person from a balcony. There were lots of Neptunes available, maybe half. We took one. I'm guessing price dropped to $500 each a week prior to the cruise (heard from another person). 

If you are interested, I would recommend calling 12-13 days prior and asking. If it is a little too expensive, call back 7 days prior to see if it has gone down.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Not necessarily. We are particular about location (noise, access, view from balcony) so would never work for us but you definitely want to avoid below or above common areas where noise may be a factor, vents on the ship where wind may blow smell of unwanted air to your balcony, near noisy kitchen or mechanical sections, etc if you want to enjoy the vacation. Some folks are light sleepers or more susceptible to noise so also depends on what you and yours thresholds would be. And since you have the opportunity of choice of cabin for this ship (unlike your past ships 😁) why not take advantage. 

I'm in cabin 5702. 

26 minutes ago, friendswithdave said:

We upgraded to a Neptune on our December cruise. After extensive research, I called the upgrade number and asked what was available. I believe this was 12 days prior to sailing. At that time, upgrade was $550 per person from a balcony. There were lots of Neptunes available, maybe half. We took one. I'm guessing price dropped to $500 each a week prior to the cruise (heard from another person). 

If you are interested, I would recommend calling 12-13 days prior and asking. If it is a little too expensive, call back 7 days prior to see if it has gone down.

thanks for sharing your offer details - how many nights was your cruise?

8 hours ago, friendswithdave said:

Thanks, this is very helpful.  We’re still 6 weeks out, so I’ll plan on waiting until next month.

• 3 months later...

Could someone please explain how upgrades work with HAL? We have had a disappointing experience with Celebrity Move Up when they assigned a very noisy cabin.  With them once you place a bid you have to provide your credit card and if you are successful you don't have a choice to decline.

• Thanks 1

@CruzHand  You can wait for an email offer to upgrade or call on your own.  There is no bidding.   You are not assigned a room; you pick from the available rooms.  Here’s the number:

1.  Have booking number

2.  Have credit card

3.  Have deck plan

4.  Be ready to make a decision 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@CruzHand  You can wait for an email offer to upgrade or call on your own.  There is no bidding.   You are not assigned a room; you pick from the available rooms.  Here’s the number:

1.  Have booking number

2.  Have credit card

3.  Have deck plan

4.  Be ready to make a decision 

I realize it's always a crapshoot ..but looking for a stab at a best  guess - since booked Oosterdam for late Sept out of Trieste and booked and inside GTY (which are are perfectly OK with keeping). Of course though, if the "price was right" we would consider and upgrade.

As an example - let's say the cost for unobstructed OV would  is about $1000 more than for a GTY inside a month before sailing. Would it be likely to get that upgrade calling in for like $500, or is it generally closer to whatever the price differential in the month or so before sailing? I'd just like to have an idea before calling in (or just not bothering to call in)

3 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

If one booked with a Travel Agent, I'm  guessing she needs to get involved in the call (?).

Or not (?).

My TA forwarded the upsell email to me and I made the call.

• Thanks 1