Problems with with cruise ships being turned away by NZ authorities re hull cleaning

Mickb

There have been several cruise ships turned away from docking in NZ and Australian ports because of sea snails and other algae that have grown on the hull. ( There is a very informative post on the Viking Ocean thread). If the ship’s hull is judged dirty then divers have to clean the hull which seems to involve anchoring 20 odd miles offshore  for 24/36 hours whilst the work is carried out.

As the WC is due to visit both NZ and Australia, I wonder when the hull of the Zuiderdam was last cleaned and whether this is likely to prove to be a problem? I do hope not!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mickb said:

I wonder when the hull of the Zuiderdam was last cleaned

Zuiderdam was dry docked during the first two weeks of December, so should be nice and clean.  Though could pick up a few 'nasties' during the cruise.

27 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Zuiderdam was dry docked during the first two weeks of December, so should be nice and clean.  Though could pick up a few 'nasties' during the cruise.

When is she due in NZ?  The inspection/cleaning has to be within 30 days of arrival in NZ waters.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

When is she due in NZ?  The inspection/cleaning has to be within 30 days of arrival in NZ waters.

We are due to arrive in Gisborne on Feb 04, which is well over 30 days.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, richwmn said:

We are due to arrive in Gisborne on Feb 04, which is well over 30 days.

Then, I would expect a dive inspection sometime within the 30 day window, and then the ship will need to decide what to do after the results of that inspection.  Three months after painting, I would expect her to be clean, but there may be some small areas that need attention.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Thanks 1

Here is a link to the Viking Orion thread on the woes that ship is encountering (it is many pages long and gets worse as you keep reading).  It sounds like what happened at the beginning of covid where ships were not allowed to dock in any port.  I sure hope the Noordam is clean for our upcoming cruise of New Zealand and Australia.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2901427-live-from-the-orion-auckland-to-sydney-dec22-jan5/?do=findComment&comment=64508781

Edited by Torquer

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

Here is a link to the Viking Orion thread on the woes that ship is encountering (it is many pages long and gets worse as you keep reading).  It sounds like what happened at the beginning of covid where ships were not allowed to dock in any port.  I sure hope the Noordam is clean for our upcoming cruise of New Zealand and Australia.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2901427-live-from-the-orion-auckland-to-sydney-dec22-jan5/?do=findComment&comment=64508781

It shows the difference between how Princess handled it and how Viking handled it.  Princess made arrangement to bring divers out to clean the ship.  Impact was missing 1 port and the sound. Taken care of in about 48 hours.  Viking kept trying to get permission to get it cleaned in each port and got rejected at each, then it tried to get it clean in an Australian port and got rejected.  Finally it had the divers come out to clean it.  Impact was missing at least 4 ports and a much longer period of sitting off shore for several days.