Weather when cruising in January in the Caribbean?

13cheermom

I cruise in January/February more than any other time of year. Typically you'll get mid 70s to high 80s in the day, and maybe as low as 60 at night and with far less humidity than the summer. Possible to see rain (but not super crazy storms) and overcast weather but is still generally pleasant.

I would also pack what you need for motion sickness as I've noticed the ocean tends to be a little rougher on the first and last days of the cruises this time of year. 

• Like 1

Caribbean weather will be great.  Just remember the weather at the port maybe drastically different when you return to port.  So the first and last sea day might be on the cool side.  Not sure where you are leaving from.

15 minutes ago, Mic101680 said:

I cruise in January/February more than any other time of year. Typically you'll get mid 70s to high 80s in the day, and maybe as low as 60 at night and with far less humidity than the summer. Possible to see rain (but not super crazy storms) and overcast weather but is still generally pleasant.

I would also pack what you need for motion sickness as I've noticed the ocean tends to be a little rougher on the first and last days of the cruises this time of year. 

Thanks!  We have cruised probably every other month of the year except Jan/Feb., earliest being middle of March, and I did notice it was a little cooler that time of the year.  When we cruise in Oct/Nov, water temperatures were still warm from summer months.  I always pack motion sickness, thankfully have never had to use it. Just waiting to finally get to sail on Mardi Gras after 3 cancellations. 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mz-s said:

air temperatures will be warm and pleasant. water temperatures may be chilly.

That's kinda what I was thinking about the water temps.  On our Panama Canal cruise back last March, we put on bathing suits but I wore a cover up as well most of the time. We usually enjoy just getting in the pool to relax but I think it will be too cool for that this trip, lol.

Miami was 40 something degrees during Christmas and it is further south than most debarkation ports. We sailed out of LA last January. The first night and the last night weren't ideal weather. However, once you cruise down south enough, you generally hit decent weather. 

@13cheermom, warmer than Wisconsin! 😆

Now for my non-flippant answer.  It's great. Days are plenty warm but in the evening on Lido most will want a sweater/sweatshirt.  Now in contrast, it's might hot down there in August.  I had never cruised in the summer before the re-start and that one time in summer was enough for me.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

@13cheermom, warmer than Wisconsin! 😆

Now for my non-flippant answer.  It's great. Days are plenty warm but in the evening on Lido most will want a sweater/sweatshirt.  Now in contrast, it's might hot down there in August.  I had never cruised in the summer before the re-start and that one time in summer was enough for me.

Or Northern Nevada, we cruise in 2 weeks and can't wait! 

Currently on the MG.  I am from Tampa, and to me, this was the first warm day, about 80 and was mostly sunny.  Looking forward to more warm weather tomorrow in Grand Turk. Then back to the usual Florida winter, sometimes warm, sometimes cold.  So my advice would be to bring a sweatshirt and a light jacket.  

• Thanks 1

We've traveled quite often in January. Just like everywhere else, the weather can really vary. I've had some pretty cool January days in the past, even in places like Grand Cayman. Of course, not as cold as Minnesota....

• Like 1

The seas can get very rough.  We did a four day cruise in mid January.  The first 3 days were really nice.  However, sailing back to Tampa from Cozumel a cold front came through Florida and we were rocked by 30’ seas.  It was unbelievable!  At one point in the afternoon our ship had to stop because we came upon a capsize pleasure boat.  The cruise ship sent out a rescue boat, not a life boat, to look for survivors or bodies.  None were found.  The rescue crew did something to the boat to sink it, not sure what the did.  The captain on the PA system came on to inform us that they sunk the boat so no ship would hit the capsize boat at night.  He said this is a normal practice given the sea conditions.

7 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Miami was 40 something degrees during Christmas and it is further south than most debarkation ports. We sailed out of LA last January. The first night and the last night weren't ideal weather. However, once you cruise down south enough, you generally hit decent weather. 

That's because the entire state of Florida had an unusually extreme cold snap. It hasn't been that cold that far south in Florida for a few years. Bad luck and I'm sorry anyone had to deal with it.

7 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

That's kinda what I was thinking about the water temps.  On our Panama Canal cruise back last March, we put on bathing suits but I wore a cover up as well most of the time. We usually enjoy just getting in the pool to relax but I think it will be too cool for that this trip, lol.

We got rashguards a few years ago when we did a snorkel tour in January. For us, it was fine (we prefer cooler temps anyway), but some may find the water too cold for swimming without an extra layer. While on the ship, we stuck to the hot tubs because the wind was chilly on our sea days.

16 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Just wondering, we have never cruised in January before, and wondered what the weather is typically like in Caribbean (Grand Turk, Amber Cove, & San Juan)?

Any recent cruisers have any tips for packing?  Thanks!

Grand Turk is in the Atlantic, and San Juan and Amber Cove are both on the north (Atlantic) coasts  so none of your ports are actually “… in the Caribbean…”.  They are far enough south to enjoy reliably warm weather in January, and the sea water temps are likely to be close to, if not over, 70.

18 hours ago, CruiseHealing said:

The seas can get very rough.

No kidding. I remember this one time…. The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Edited by wcook

It was 71 degrees at 7am in SWFL today, a new record for the low temp of the day.  Daytime high temps are expected to be 78 to 84 for the next week.

Now the Caribbean temps are similar or greater than SWFL.  Bring biodegradable roll on sunscreen.

Water temps can be chilly unless you're from Canada.