The Key and Check-in time

ihopfar

Good Morning,

The earliest time available when I checked in for my cruise was 11:30AM.  With the Key, am I correct that I can check-in earlier than that?  (Assuming they are paying attention to check-in times.)

Thanks!

Brad

1 hour ago, ihopfar said:

Good Morning,

The earliest time available when I checked in for my cruise was 11:30AM.  With the Key, am I correct that I can check-in earlier than that?  (Assuming they are paying attention to check-in times.)

Thanks!

Brad

You can show up any time with the key. They will have a check-in line separate from the lines for the time slots. I have seen it combined with suites occasionally, but will have its own sign either way.

You will get an email before your cruise, letting you know what time to get there and where you need to go to start taking advantage of the Key benefits.  You'll be heading to the dining room to drop off any carry on bags, have your included lunch, get your info on the block of time for for all the Key guests for things like Flowrider.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you all! 

I was surprised that the earliest I was offered was 11:30... I expected to be able to grab 10:30 (or even 11:00)... I did not think I was that late checking in!

I am glad to hear that I will receive special instructions for when to arrive with the Key.  How long before my cruise should I expect that email?

• Like 1

That email will arrive about a week before the cruise, and it usually states that you should arrive by 11AM.  

I've purchased The Key for my past 7 cruises August through December 2022 which were on four different ships, Freedom, Liberty, Grandeur and Harmony.  

For each, arriving at 11 am meant I was on board and able to check my carry-on before the MDR opened for lunch at noon, so I was able to check-in at my muster station and make reservations before I went to eat.

• Like 1

Received this on 1/3 for my 1/14 cruise:

Dear Guest,

We're excited to welcome you onboard soon! Before you set sail, we wanted to remind you of the benefits that come with The Key program.

Here's what you can expect on your upcoming sailing:

• Early access at the terminal.*
  • Drop off your carry-on luggage in the Main Dining Room on Deck 4 by 1:30 PM - your carry-on luggage will be hand delivered to your stateroom.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille® menu (open from 12:00pm - 1:30pm). We recommend arriving to the terminal no later than 11:30 AM for you to have enough time to enjoy lunch with us!
  • Private time at some of our onboard activities such as rock climbing, FlowRider, etc.
  • Priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports.
  • Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book once you're onboard!
  • VOOM Surf & Stream package, now including high speed internet, for one device (1 package per guest).
  • On debarkation day, enjoy a private á la carte breakfast and choice departure.

*Please arrive at the terminal between 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM. If you are not able to make the early access window, you should arrive within your appointment time and will receive priority access into the terminal.

Lastly, when you arrive to the port for your sailing, please locate The Key signage for priority access into the terminal and make your way onto the ship.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Symphony of the Seas in the coming days!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Brand

• Like 1

I’m a cruising newbie, my first cruise was out of Tampa on the Serenade 11/5/2022.  I purchased the Key.  Although my boarding time was 11 a.m., and the ship off-boarded late due to fog in the harbor.   There were no Key directional signs and I stood in line as announcements were made telling various status levels they could jump the lines for priority boarding.  At 11:45 I asked the woman controlling the lines if Key holders had expedited boarding and she told me I should already have boarded. How was I to know without an announcement or signs?  I should not have been so timid.  Newbie learning experience.

1 hour ago, Longford said:

I’m a cruising newbie, my first cruise was out of Tampa on the Serenade 11/5/2022.  I purchased the Key.  Although my boarding time was 11 a.m., and the ship off-boarded late due to fog in the harbor.   There were no Key directional signs and I stood in line as announcements were made telling various status levels they could jump the lines for priority boarding.  At 11:45 I asked the woman controlling the lines if Key holders had expedited boarding and she told me I should already have boarded. How was I to know without an announcement or signs?  I should not have been so timid.  Newbie learning experience.

I've been with Royal Caribbean for 50 years this coming October.  I STILL ask almost every time I get to the pier.  This is because different embarkation ports have different policies, and RCCL is not the best at communicating changes.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pcur said:

I've been with Royal Caribbean for 50 years this coming October.  I STILL ask almost every time I get to the pier.  This is because different embarkation ports have different policies, and RCCL is not the best at communicating changes.  

Yes.  The next time I cruise I'll open my mouth and ask ... if it's not clear.  Like everything else in life, we learn, or should learn, after each experience.

Just now, SunSandSea said:

How much is this KEY?   For early assess, etc.   maybe it’s the same as Elite Plus on Celebrity ?

I'm recalling that I paid +/- $25 per day.  Various benefits were included:  early boarding, lunch in MDR, carry-on taken to your cabin early, preference on tenders, internet, priority disembarking, last day breakfast.

30 minutes ago, SunSandSea said:

How much is this KEY?   For early assess, etc.   maybe it’s the same as Elite Plus on Celebrity ?

Dynamic pricing depending on season, cruise length, ship, demand.  Check your cruise planner for actual cost and offering.

9 hours ago, Longford said:

.  I purchased the Key.  Although my boarding time was 11 a.m., and the ship off-boarded late due to fog in the harbor.   

A common misconception.  The time you received when you checked in for your cruise is your check in time not your boarding time.  Boarding does not commence at a fixed time.  It commences once the ship has reached 'zero count' from the previous cruise at which time Back-to-Back guest board.  After that then Suites/Pinnacles are called to board, followed by Key.   

Announcements are made near the boarding doors but our experience has been that it is extremely loud in the boarding are by that time with hundreds of people talking over each other and the person making the announcements is not always easy to understand when using that damn megaphone. 

Asking someone once you see passengers starting to board is the best option if you are unsure and or did not understand any announcements.