Planetarium

Jammy Bun

Are you saying that you want to avoid a ship that has a planetarium or you want to avoid having to book the planetarium visit.  It isn't clear from your post which one.  If the former how would the presence of a planetarium on the ship impact your cruise?  I would guess that if you have ever been to a real planetarium any planetarium on a ship would be a pale imitation of the real thing.

DON

22 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

Could someone tell me which ships have the planetarium… about to make a booking and want to avoid if possible!
thanks 😊

Orion and Jupiter have the Planetarium dome. There are, I understand, no plans to add on any future builds.

I know lots of people think they are a waste of time and space but if utilised in the right way by Viking it can be a real treat. On Southern Atlantic Crossing last month the resident astronomer was fantastic. His Theatre talks, on deck stargazing and yes, Planetarium sessions were a highlight of my cruise.  The other dome shows were worth the time as well. The resulting loss of sitting space is hardly a problem given the multitude of quiet areas on all Viking ships.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

Could someone tell me which ships have the planetarium… about to make a booking and want to avoid if possible!
thanks 😊

I’ve posted about our experience on the Jupiter. The observatory is the most misused, misunderstood, and underutilized asset on any Viking ship.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Are you saying that you want to avoid a ship that has a planetarium or you want to avoid having to book the planetarium visit.  It isn't clear from your post which one.  If the former how would the presence of a planetarium on the ship impact your cruise?  I would guess that if you have ever been to a real planetarium any planetarium on a ship would be a pale imitation of the real thing.

DON

Sorry if it was confusing.  We’ve had a few Viking cruises now, and one of our favourite areas is Explorers, both levels.  I imagine a planetarium will take up a chunk of space upstairs, hence trying to avoid it (though we’ll happily give it a try if it’s there).

and yes, we have been to a real planetarium!  And also the smaller version on Queen Mary transatlantic.  
thanks for your response.

Just now, Jammy Bun said:

I imagine a planetarium will take up a chunk of space upstairs, hence trying to avoid it (though we’ll happily give it a try if it’s there).

and yes, we have been to a real planetarium!  And also the smaller version on Queen Mary transatlantic.  
thanks for your response.

Then you will NOT want to be on the Jupiter or the Orion.

We also enjoy the 8th floor of Explorer's Lounge and it just isn't the same with that big thing in the middle - that is indeed misused.

If you want, give it a try - my guess is you will be underwhelmed, as it really isn't a planetarium.  And the Viking ships don't need this planetarium to have a good astronomer on board to give talks and outdoor viewing of the heavens (we've had some good ones on ships other than Jupiter or Orion).

My advice - don't make your final decision of whether to take Jupiter/Orion ships based on the fact they have this situation.  Sometimes there is no other alternative (i.e. Trade Routes, South America).

• Like 2

Just now, CCWineLover said:

Then you will NOT want to be on the Jupiter or the Orion.

We also enjoy the 8th floor of Explorer's Lounge and it just isn't the same with that big thing in the middle - that is indeed misused.

If you want, give it a try - my guess is you will be underwhelmed, as it really isn't a planetarium.  And the Viking ships don't need this planetarium to have a good astronomer on board to give talks and outdoor viewing of the heavens (we've had some good ones on ships other than Jupiter or Orion).

My advice - don't make your final decision of whether to take Jupiter/Orion ships based on the fact they have this situation.  Sometimes there is no other alternative (i.e. Trade Routes, South America).

It is indeed a planetarium and in fact it is one of the most advanced in the world and certainly the most advanced at sea. It is,  in fact , the equivalent of the Haydon Planetarium in New York. Please do not confuse its use as a 3D movie theatre with its use as a genuine planetarium.  Using its capabilities the VRA can show you the night skies at any time in the past or the future from any point on Earth.  The Resident Astronomers do a "Sky above us" show in the dome which is a live narrated presentation of the night sky above the ship relevant to the ship's itinerary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AstroExeter said:

The Resident Astronomers do a "Sky above us" show in the dome which is a live narrated presentation of the night sky above the ship relevant to the ship's itinerary. 

Not when we were on the Orion in Nov. 2019 in SE Asia, nor on the Jupiter in March 2020 in So. America. Would have been nice!

27 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Not when we were on the Orion in Nov. 2019 in SE Asia, nor on the Jupiter in March 2020 in So. America. Would have been nice!

I think we saw a show narrated by Robert Redford.