Can you reprice from refundable to non refundable if there are no cabins in your category available?

Basketball wife

I have final payment for a Sky suite coming up in about three weeks. There are no suite cabins left for the sailing but I paid for a refundable deposit… has anyone ever repriced from a refundable to a non refundable deposit so close to final payment in such a scenario?? Just curious because I am looking at other sailings and the difference for the refundable/non refundable fares is $500+….

There has to be at least one cabin available in your class in order to either re-price or to change to Non-Refundable.     I've been able to do it in the past and also been prevented from doing the change to a non-refundable.  

Recently on upcoming cruises the Non-Refundable Suites are more expensive than what I booked at for a Refundable.

It is best to call your TA or Celebrity and ask them.   If anything you would have to pay what the last rate was and it would probably be more than what you are paying. 

I made final payment on a SS.   The current rate for one person is more that I paid for both of us.

On one cruise that I booked I wanted to downgrade to from a sunset suite a lower SS category because we were in one and found that we didn’t like it.   The prices of the suites went up and we would have had to pay more to make the change to the lower category. .  We are keeping the Sunset suite.   They would not let me make a even trade even though I was going down in a category. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

This seems odd that they can't reprice a sold out stateroom. Royal Caribbean can and I'd imagine they use the same internal booking software. Is it just that they can't convert from refundable to non-refundable unless there's an open stateroom?

Also, when converting to non-refundable, do you have to go with current promotions (i.e. OBC offers) or can you stick with the ones originally booked under?

14 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

This seems odd that they can't reprice a sold out stateroom. Royal Caribbean can and I'd imagine they use the same internal booking software. Is it just that they can't convert from refundable to non-refundable unless there's an open stateroom?

Also, when converting to non-refundable, do you have to go with current promotions (i.e. OBC offers) or can you stick with the ones originally booked under?

I would think you would pay the prevailing rate with the prevailing perks.  

Basically at final payment a Refundable deposit automatically turns into a NRD.  (Based on the cancellation terms).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

I would think you would pay the prevailing rate with the prevailing perks.  

Basically at final payment a Refundable deposit automatically turns into a NRD.  (Based on the cancellation terms).  

That would be my guess as well.

Does anyone know whether the reservation number changes? Do you get to keep cruise planner purchases?

We changed the reservation on our CS from refundable to non-refundable after having made final payment.  We booked directly with X and a simple phone call to them saved us ~ $5k !  

The CS category had been sold out for over 1 1/2 years, so currently availability was not a factor. 

The agent repriced us to the "current promotion" which was a % savings off full price.  Since we had paid in full for the cruise (final payment date was still a couple of weeks away), we got a very nice credit to our credit card within a week!

Never hurts to ask!

1 hour ago, beachluver9 said:

We changed the reservation on our CS from refundable to non-refundable after having made final payment.  We booked directly with X and a simple phone call to them saved us ~ $5k !  

The CS category had been sold out for over 1 1/2 years, so currently availability was not a factor. 

The agent repriced us to the "current promotion" which was a % savings off full price.  Since we had paid in full for the cruise (final payment date was still a couple of weeks away), we got a very nice credit to our credit card within a week!

Never hurts to ask!

This is crazy that they would do this for you after final payment.  How recently did you do this?

2 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

This is crazy that they would do this for you after final payment.  How recently did you do this?

I think it was October-ish of 2022. I kept the agent on the phone until I could confirm that everything was as she promised online. I couldn't believe it.  She was my hero-of-the-month!  The only thing that changed on my reservation was that my deposit was non-refundable, but in actuality it already was since I had made final payment.  Celebrity direct agents won really big points for me with that one!  I'm not sure that the TA's that I have used (or I should say quit using during the pandemic, lol) would have even tried!

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

To be clear, you made your final payment before it was due so it was not after the final payment date, correct?

I did ask but was told there had to be at least 1 available cabin. 

We had made our final payment prior to the "final payment due date".  Probably two or three weeks early.  I needed to get the payment in on my new Delta Airline credit card to get my extra miles and free club access, lol.

6 hours ago, beachluver9 said:

We had made our final payment prior to the "final payment due date".  Probably two or three weeks early.  I needed to get the payment in on my new Delta Airline credit card to get my extra miles and free club access, lol.

And then when did you change to non-refundable? Before or after the final payment due date?

On 1/5/2023 at 9:09 PM, Jim_Iain said:

There has to be at least one cabin available in your class in order to either re-price or to change to Non-Refundable.     I've been able to do it in the past and also been prevented from doing the change to a non-refundable.  

Recently on upcoming cruises the Non-Refundable Suites are more expensive than what I booked at for a Refundable.

Newbie question. The available cabin must be in your class or in your DESIRED class (if you want to change and reprice at the same time)?

For example:

I have a Veranda for $1,300 per person with a refundable deposit.

Then (always inside my final payment date) I see an Ocean View for $500 per person with a NON refundable deposit and I'm willing to change.

Let's suppose there are no more Verandas available. Can I change to Ocean View and NRD?