Club Continent Suite Noise?

Ajbike

25 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We have had cabins near the elevators and stairs on many ships and never had any noise problems.  Maybe on 'booze cruises' on other lines there would be tipsy passengers around the elevator lobbies, but this is not likely on Azamara!

These suites on deck 6 are directly adjacent to the lifts. The almost continuous noise from the stairwell and lifts was far, far worse than the occasional disturbance from pool.furniture tec above on deck 8. 

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You must have very good hearing.  None of that was audible inside our cabins.

I can only recount my personal experience. You may disagree and, of course, have the power to delete my posted opinion.

I would avoid the suites in deck 6.

Edited by blag
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, blag said:

I can only recount my personal experience. You may disagree and, of course, have the power to delete my posted opinion.

I would avoid the suites in deck 6.

Not disagreeing, just pointing out that my experiences have been different – as I noted earlier on about conflicting reports in the cabin spreadsheet.  Different people react differently to different sounds (both type and level).

• Like 1

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not disagreeing, just pointing out that my experiences have been different – as I noted earlier on about conflicting reports in the cabin spreadsheet.  Different people react differently to different sounds (both type and level).

This does not invalidate my comment.

We only listen to the advice we want to hear.

55 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Not to mention that they should be saved for those who need them!

As I mentioned, it would obviously be given to a handicap requested. This wasn’t my idea. Our TA said that when there are no other options on on a deck, that this is often done with the agreement that it would be available if requested by handicap needs and we would be bumped. I felt a bit funny about it, but she said this was how it worked. I am truly NOT trying to do anything that isn’t appropriate. 

• Like 4

Another problem we encountered with the suites on deck 6 was the all-pervasive smell of food from the main dining room one deck below. The lifts move the smell between floors, and this particular stairwell is acknowledged (by Azamara's staff and crew) to be problematic for this - on all the ships.

Of course, there may be others who are not sensitive to such things, but as someone who has an astonishingly low tolerance threshold for the smell of garlic, I would never choose a stateroom near this stairwell. There are many, much better  options.

28 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

As I mentioned, it would obviously be given to a handicap requested. This wasn’t my idea. Our TA said that when there are no other options on on a deck, that this is often done with the agreement that it would be available if requested by handicap needs and we would be bumped. I felt a bit funny about it, but she said this was how it worked. I am truly NOT trying to do anything that isn’t appropriate. 

The problem is that if someone who needed the handicapped cabin saw that it was booked, they would probably move on.  I don't doubt that you would give up the cabin, but would the other people know to call and check? 

That said, we were assigned a handicapped cabin once when we booked as a guarantee.  It was not something we would pick again. The shower is a roll-in model and the floor was soaked constantly! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

It really isn’t a bad option.  Pick your suite carefully and look at what is above.  We really find the aft to be quiet.  

Thank you. We will look for  shower only,  but having not sailed AZ before not sure if there is a preferred/quieter port or starboard aft on Quest. Sounds like they may be equal. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. Will look at deck 8 as that is the only option. 

You may be helping yourself in the end, because the likelihood is you would be moved from the accessible suite and then stuck in whatever suites are left on deck 8 – which recent history tells us will be the bathtub suites.  Grab a shower suite now and don't worry about the noise.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, uktog said:

And so unlucky with inconsiderate guests. Never had them on any floor 

On our last cruise we were mystified why a lady in a suite on our corridor screamed (and I mean screamed) intermittently. I assume that she was doing this as she approached or entered her stateroom because I was never able to catch the culprit at it.

And you get the late night revellers returning from a heavy session, talking too loudly and vigorously wishing each other goodnight, blissfully unaware that they are wishing everyone within earshot (awake or now-no-longer-asleep) a goodnight. Such things as this are much more frequent near or in the stairwells.

5 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. We will look for  shower only,  but having not sailed AZ before not sure if there is a preferred/quieter port or starboard aft on Quest. Sounds like they may be equal. 

N2 aft CCs on port side have showers and minimal noise from above.  Have spent hundreds of nights there on Azamara ships.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, blag said:

On our last cruise we were mystified why a lady in a suite on our corridor screamed (and I mean screamed) intermittently. I assume that she was doing this as she approached or entered her stateroom because I was never able to catch the culprit at it.

And you get the late night revellers returning from a heavy session, talking too loudly and vigorously wishing each other goodnight, blissfully unaware that they are wishing everyone within earshot (awake or now-no-longer-asleep) a goodnight. Such things as this are much more frequent near or in the stairwells.

Maybe we’re heavy sleepers! We tend to go to bed early (10:30ish most nights) and have never been disturbed by this sort of noise!

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Maybe we’re heavy sleepers! We tend to go to bed early (10:30ish most nights) and have never been disturbed by this sort of noise!

Lucky you!

How I wish I were so fortunate.

We, too, tend to be early to bed (earlier than you), and I'm a very light sleeper. Even changes in the speed of the ship, wave motion and stuff like that can disturb my zizzz!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blag said:

Lucky you!

How I wish I were so fortunate.

We, too, tend to be early to bed (earlier than you), and I'm a very light sleeper. Even changes in the speed of the ship, wave motion and stuff like that can disturb my zizzz!

That would make any location difficult then.  I’ve been woken up by heavy swells but fortunately not the changing of the speed.

• Like 2

If you are a light sleeper, then the sound machine works!  I keep saying it.  This will be the last time, I promise 😀.  

But it has been a sleep saver for my DH!  Try one at home before you travel.  Easy to buy on Amazon.  Lots of sound settings to find one you can tolerate.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

If you are a light sleeper, then the sound machine works!  I keep saying it.  This will be the last time, I promise 😀.  

But it has been a sleep saver for my DH!  Try one at home before you travel.  Easy to buy on Amazon.  Lots of sound settings to find one you can tolerate.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I cannot bear encumbrances whilst sleeping. I tried earplugs, and a sound machine, but neither is a viable solution for me.

In addition my wife does not tolerate any device that makes an audible noise.

6 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

I have an app on my phone called Rain Rain that I use when traveling.  Large selection of different sounds to choose from

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We just got off the Onward, suite 8032, the only noise we heard was on the white night. Then the tables etc were being moved and woke us up through the night a couple of times.

we are very light sleepers and dislike any noise! We would book the same cabin again.

• Like 6

hey Everybody, After a lot of consideration and great help from this thread we decided to go with Suite 8063 on our cruise. It is more aft which seems to be less noisy and away from the elevators and stairs. I also considered the fact that there were no inner rooms near this suite so possibly less noise from doors and people in the hallways. But I am curious, I went with a bath suite as DW loves soaking in a tub, but the opinion here seems to be the shower suites are better, why?

1 hour ago, Ajbike said:

hey Everybody, After a lot of consideration and great help from this thread we decided to go with Suite 8063 on our cruise. It is more aft which seems to be less noisy and away from the elevators and stairs. I also considered the fact that there were no inner rooms near this suite so possibly less noise from doors and people in the hallways. But I am curious, I went with a bath suite as DW loves soaking in a tub, but the opinion here seems to be the shower suites are better, why?

Don't have to climb into and out of a tub in order to shower.  Tub base is three or four inches above bathroom floor making it awkward to step out, and reduces headroom in the shower for anyone six feet or more.  Lastly, we shower, not bathe, so tub is unnecessary.

• Like 2