“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

How is the social life on this year’s Sojourn world cruise?

I see that Ross is CD and I would hope he and the entertainers are backed up by a dynamic F&B Mgr so there is lots to do especially on sea days. What about children and babies? If so, are they under supervision and hopefully kept occupied in a kid’s club so they can work off their exuberance- as on larger ships? About fellow passengers, are they a courteous lot behaving as WC people generally do? What about any deck chair bullies?

We are thinking about a segment for 2024 after the first segment ends in Sydney and with lots of interesting ports and enrichment talks.

Here on Quest our vibe is calm but on deck activities are rather limited flat, to be honest, and I am puzzled by this... We do have some very good weather sea days now that we are well away from the colder climes. Also, we have no children or babies so for those who like to swim in the pool (why are they soooo small on Seabourn ships/ a couple of meters longer would also work) life is peaceful.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham

4 hours ago, markham said:

How is the social life on this year’s Sojourn world cruise?

I see that Ross is CD and I would hope he and the entertainers are backed up by a dynamic F&B Mgr so there is lots to do especially on sea days. What about children and babies? If so, are they under supervision and hopefully kept occupied in a kid’s club so they can work off their exuberance- as on larger ships? About fellow passengers, are they a courteous lot behaving as WC people generally do? What about any deck chair bullies?

We are thinking about a segment for 2024 after the first segment ends in Sydney and with lots of interesting ports and enrichment talks.

Here on Quest our vibe is calm but on deck activities are rather limited flat, to be honest, and I am puzzled by this... We do have some very good weather sea days now that we are well away from the colder climes. Also, we have no children or babies so for those who like to swim in the pool (why are they soooo small on Seabourn ships/ a couple of meters longer would also work) life is peaceful.

Markham,

You need Ross and one of his colourful suits to get your heart racing or a couple of ankle biters running around on deck 😁

florisdekort and any Aussies on board:

we are joining Bali to Barcelona. Received an email from Seabourn stating we had to obtain our own visa's.

Speaking to Seabourn (Aust ) yesterday on another matter, they advised that visa's would be issued onboard ship where required.

Do you any clarification on that please for Australians?

8 hours ago, markham said:

Here on Quest our vibe is calm but on deck activities are rather limited flat, to be honest, and I am puzzled by this..

This is similar to the description you have given while on Silversea.  It would be shame for SB to move that direction.  The fact that SB is a bit more lively is what keeps us there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, comparto said:

we are joining Bali to Barcelona. Received an email from Seabourn stating we had to obtain our own visa's.

Speaking to Seabourn (Aust ) yesterday on another matter, they advised that visa's would be issued onboard ship where required.

Based on our experience on Seabourn in December, a lot depends on your nationality, and/or country of residence.  One of our fellow pax was forced to leave the ship at the first port because onboard visas could not be arranged for one or both of them, yet Seabourn was able to arrange visas for us.  To add to the injury, he had a e-mail from the Seattle office indicating the visas would be arranged onboard.

5 hours ago, comparto said:

There are countries for which you’ll need to get your own visa (online) such as Kenya and Tanzania. The visa service Seabourn offers for full World Cruise guests is only available to American passport holders (and maybe Canadian, I’m not sure). Us Europeans and Aussies are on our own. Also, don’t forget your original proof of yellow fever vaccination; we’ve already been asked for this on board. 

Wonderful ceviche at lunch today, prepared by Michael Sandoval, executive chef at Thomas Keller's Napa based Bouchon. The presentation was delightful, and the avocado cream garnish was a perfect finish.

We also were treated to a fun dance performance featuring Ross, guest services manager Kyla, and reps from all the different department! Such joy!

PXL_20230225_022920659.thumb.jpg.6e418ce1246c9d53bc4baacb6de96e7e.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, markham said:

What about children and babies? If so, are they under supervision and hopefully kept occupied in a kid’s club….

I’m only aware of 2 kids onboard, twin boys, guessing around 5 years old.  I’m not exactly a super-duper child-person, I have no children (that I know of 🤔) but so far they’ve been the model of good behavior, liking to wave at everybody as they pass by.  

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, goaliedad30 said:

Wonderful ceviche at lunch today, prepared by Michael Sandoval, executive chef at Thomas Keller's Napa based Bouchon.

Shoot, managed to miss seeing that.  But we had very nice Indonesian buffet lunch…..and at the best table on the ship (imho).

A8C5AFC3-C972-4036-BD7B-8612A6496626.thumb.jpeg.493c2a15931707d21663165626b9d1fb.jpeg

• Like 6

On 2/23/2023 at 4:04 PM, shark b8 said:

And then, the curtains in the MDR began to be closed, and now the window glass appears to be treated somehow, which renders them mirrors rather than clear, after dark.

Just an update from Quest about this question. Last night we were seated at 8pm for dinner at a window table. The seating hostess drew back the curtains which had been closed so we could see the ocean rushing past. We also got to see the lightening as there was a storm last night. We didn't ask them to be drawn but was happy she did so.

I noticed the table next to the next window had there curtains closed and they were almost completing there meal so maybe the requested them to be closed or maybe they never asked for them to be opened?  @shark b8have you had any comment onboard Sojourn regarding this?

Julie

• Like 1

SLSD,

The difference between our current Quest cruise and our Nov-Dec Silversea Dawn cruise is down to the fact that SS has apparently chosen to have far fewer musicians, singers and dancers than SB, and in my view, what they do have is of far lower quality and variety. A sailaway party? Never happened there. Production shows? Not a patch on SB’s.

But this makes our Quest cruise a paradox in contrast to our past SB cruises. Yes, we have had a sailaway or 2 in these 7 weeks and 2 Italian opera evening pre dinner, and a couple of officers on deck events prior to each segment’s end. And a couple of American bbq and British pub nights in the Club (not my thing) alongside the very good production shows. And a much appreciated Super Bowl viewing with snacks in the Grand Salon. But eg yesterday’s fine sea day? Nothing by the pool all day while all the 3 CDs are doing Trivia for their 100 fans which leaves everyone/thing in hanging around mode. What we could do with Sojourn’s CD Ross and/or F&B Thomas who do parties in/by the pool! There is no spontaneity here, and it is all formulaic “name that tune” which is fine for some folks. But really…

If we go on more Seabourn cruises, and we do have a couple booked, I will try my hardest to find out who the CDs, F&Bs and captains are. Our captain is almost invisible, and was virtually silent during our 7 days of Internet outage, and is thereby a big contrast to Hamish. I guess those individuals set the vibe. I hasten to add that here our HD Klaus is extremely talented and at the grindstone. He would work so so well with a more dynamic team! I just wish for better all ‘round results in our remaining weeks on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markham said:

Nothing by the pool all day while all the 3 CDs are doing Trivia for their 100 fans which leaves everyone/thing in hanging around mode. What we could do with Sojourn’s CD Ross and/or F&B Thomas who do parties in/by the pool! There is no spontaneity here, and it is all formulaic “name that tune” which is fine for some folks. But really…

If we go on more Seabourn cruises, and we do have a couple booked, I will try my hardest to find out who the CDs, F&Bs and captains are. Our captain is almost invisible, and was virtually silent during our 7 days of Internet outage, and is thereby a big contrast to Hamish. I guess those individuals set the vibe

You have often been asked why you want to know who the CD, F&Bs and captains are.  I have seen that that  they do set the mood for a cruise.  Hamish is great.  So personable and he likes to meet  passengers and have meaningful conversations,  It helps make a cruise  stand out and be memorable when the captain goes above and beyond.  

Mr. SLSD and I have tried trivia.  It CAN be fun, depending on who is on your team.  On a Baltic cruise some years ago, we had a very personable team captain who made the experience fun , along with one of the most entertaining CDs.  However, we have decided not to play trivia again as the questions (sports, pop culture, TV, movies) do not play to our strengths which would be history, literature, etc.  While I understand that many enjoy it and enjoy meeting people there, it just isn't how we want to spend our time.  

And I agree with you about the hokey games.  On a sea day, we like really good lectures, special events on the deck, perhaps a wine tasting, etc.  We are also not people who sit around in Seabourn Square.  

I hope the fun factor on your cruise improves in the coming days.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, markham said:

SLSD,

The difference between our current Quest cruise and our Nov-Dec Silversea Dawn cruise is down to the fact that SS has apparently chosen to have far fewer musicians, singers and dancers than SB, and in my view, what they do have is of far lower quality and variety. A sailaway party? Never happened there. Production shows? Not a patch on SB’s.

But this makes our Quest cruise a paradox in contrast to our past SB cruises. Yes, we have had a sailaway or 2 in these 7 weeks and 2 Italian opera evening pre dinner, and a couple of officers on deck events prior to each segment’s end. And a couple of American bbq and British pub nights in the Club (not my thing) alongside the very good production shows. And a much appreciated Super Bowl viewing with snacks in the Grand Salon. But eg yesterday’s fine sea day? Nothing by the pool all day while all the 3 CDs are doing Trivia for their 100 fans which leaves everyone/thing in hanging around mode. What we could do with Sojourn’s CD Ross and/or F&B Thomas who do parties in/by the pool! There is no spontaneity here, and it is all formulaic “name that tune” which is fine for some folks. But really…

If we go on more Seabourn cruises, and we do have a couple booked, I will try my hardest to find out who the CDs, F&Bs and captains are. Our captain is almost invisible, and was virtually silent during our 7 days of Internet outage, and is thereby a big contrast to Hamish. I guess those individuals set the vibe. I hasten to add that here our HD Klaus is extremely talented and at the grindstone. He would work so so well with a more dynamic team! I just wish for better all ‘round results in our remaining weeks on board.

Sounds like you need Handre or John Baron on board.

Name that tune indeed,I always win anyway.

What about the price is right.

Quality I think.😀

I know you love darts Markham.

Explora coming soon to try.

I have to admit that on Sojourn, with Cruise Director Ross, there is lots of additional entertainment, besides daily trivia and name that tune. Sail-away parties, other (almost daily) events on the pool deck (we had an ABBA party, a boat-building competition, dancing with the stripes, caviar in the pool, caviar sail-aways, and yesterday an unannounced “pop up” dance party). And then there is Ross’ disco at 11 pm (!), outside on deck 5 aft. Stargazing with the Bridge Officers. I could go on. Captain Hamish is indeed very visible, if only because he has lunch at the Colonnade daily, and dinner at Earth & Ocean, and openly encourages people with questions to come see him at his table. Overall I’d happily rate the World Cruise 8 or even 9 out of 10 so far. 

On a different topic, The Grill has been outstanding with lots of menu variety since Chef Michael Sandoval from the Thomas Keller Group joined about 10 days ago. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

I have to admit that on Sojourn, with Cruise Director Ross, there is lots of additional entertainment, besides daily trivia and name that tune. Sail-away parties, other (almost daily) events on the pool deck (we had an ABBA party, a boat-building competition, dancing with the stripes, caviar in the pool, caviar sail-aways, and yesterday an unannounced “pop up” dance party). And then there is Ross’ disco at 11 pm (!), outside on deck 5 aft. Stargazing with the Bridge Officers. I could go on. Captain Hamish is indeed very visible, if only because he has lunch at the Colonnade daily, and dinner at Earth & Ocean, and openly encourages people with questions to come see him at his table. Overall I’d happily rate the World Cruise 8 or even 9 out of 10 so far. 

On a different topic, The Grill has been outstanding with lots of menu variety since Chef Michael Sandoval from the Thomas Keller Group joined about 10 days ago. 

Michael Sandoval is excellent 

We have often had special off menu dishes when he has been on board.

He has bought a property in Spain and is starting up a Hotel with his partner Jasmijn.

4 hours ago, Laylam said:

Markham or florisdekort, are there Art or Bridge Classes on your cruise?  There were none on our last 2 cruises.

There is an arts & crafts person on board that hosts 2 get togethers a day, painting and other crafts, at 10 am and 2 pm. And Cruise Director Ross hosts a needlepoint social at 4 pm on most days. There’s mahjong on the program (un-hosted). And from memory I have indeed seen bridge lessons advertised occasionally. 

On Quest there is a robust Bridge program, judging by the numbers in attendance during the Miami to Buenos Aires segments (which included some bad weather cancelled landings days in Antarctica). Now that we are in the warmer climes with fewer sea days I am not sure.

The earlier segments’ art classes were well attended, often twice a day. There are far fewer participants now overall, and that may be due to better weather for deck time, but also the instructor brought/has the wrong type of paper for watercolours. In the meantime some made Carnevale masks.

As an aside, we are now in hot Rio and have our first overnight since Lima. Consensus among us is we certainly would have enjoyed an overnight in beautiful Buenos Aires a few days ago too since much was closed on our single day there. 

21 hours ago, SLSD said:

On a sea day, we like really good lectures, special events on the deck, perhaps a wine tasting, etc. 

I agree there have been few special events on deck but there have been multiple lectures each day either by the expedition team or guest lecturers. There have been wine tastings and champagne tastings about 3 per segment. I have been to some and have 2 more booked as they got some new wines on at Montevideo I wish to try. Phillips the head Sommelier is excellent and his assistants are also very good.