Best credit card for air miles?

NCteacherlovescruising

We’ll be flying from Charlotte to Europe in June 2024. We will be flying into Barcelona and out of either Rome or Venice. What credit card, if any, would we be able to get the most miles out of that fast?  Or is it too late to earn enough to help offset cost.  We don’t want to fly economy that far. How many miles would we need for premium economy?  What about business class?

Anyone know which airline would be our best option from Charlotte? Is it more expensive to fly from Venice to Charlotte than Rome to Charlotte?  Our cruise ends in Rome but we may go to Venice after spending a few days in Rome, if the budget allows. 

We already have 50,000 miles with American but I’m not seeing flights there with them from Charlotte. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

15 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We’ll be flying from Charlotte to Europe in June 2024. We will be flying into Barcelona and out of either Rome or Venice. What credit card, if any, would we be able to get the most miles out of that fast?  Or is it too late to earn enough to help offset cost.  We don’t want to fly economy that far. How many miles would we need for premium economy?  What about business class?

Anyone know which airline would be our best option from Charlotte? Is it more expensive to fly from Venice to Charlotte than Rome to Charlotte?  Our cruise ends in Rome but we may go to Venice after spending a few days in Rome, if the budget allows. 

American Airlines flies direct from Charlotte to both  Barcelona and Rome.  The best card to get would be a Citi AAdvantage card. Check their website for special offers. Or check nerdwallet.com for special offers that give you extra mile bonuses for getting a card. 

There are no direct flights Charlotte-Venice.  It may or may not cost you more. 

Flights come out about 11 months before flight date.  To get an idea of routes do a search for the same month this year.

Edited by marazul

Definitely agree that you have to work with what you've got. If you've got a start with American, then stay with them. Get a credit card and maximize every opportunity available that the card offers to rack up points. Including getting an additional bonus for spending a certain amount when you first get the card.

Even with that, you may not get enough points for a Premium Economy flight for both of you during prime European travel season. Flights have gone through the roof since the COVID restart. The fares to Europe last summer for premium economy were crazy prices, and the higher the price, the more points needed to redeem a fare.

For better or worse Delta has ATL locked up as their home and major hub, so for years I've leveraged my Delta Amex as much as I can. Make sure you look at websites like the Points Guy for any special offers for points. If the card offers 2x points for anything, use it (for example, my Delta Amex gives 2x points for booking hotels directly, for eating out and for buying groceries using the card, so I do all of these....)

Not sure what this has to do with Italy...maybe ask on the Cruise Air board?

A summary of what the others have said is the "best" depends on where you do the majority of your flying from...your home airport...and who serves it. As we fly from SFO, and United is the predominant carrier from SFO, we use United Chase card. Keep in mind the alliances that evolve from that main carrier.

11 hours ago, marazul said:

American Airlines flies direct from Charlotte to both  Barcelona and Rome.  The best card to get would be a Citi AAdvantage card. Check their website for special offers. Or check nerdwallet.com for special offers that give you extra mile bonuses for getting a card. 

There are no direct flights Charlotte-Venice.  It may or may not cost you more. 

Flights come out about 11 months before flight date.  To get an idea of routes do a search for the same month this year.

I did price them out for this summer, but was hoping it was so expensive because it’s not that far away. Is it really around 10k for two premium economy tickets?  😯  I kept seeing flights with foreign airlines. We have a Barclays American Airlines cc. My husband he will research a bit this weekend and see if the City card you mentioned is any better. 

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Definitely agree that you have to work with what you've got. If you've got a start with American, then stay with them. Get a credit card and maximize every opportunity available that the card offers to rack up points. Including getting an additional bonus for spending a certain amount when you first get the card.

Even with that, you may not get enough points for a Premium Economy flight for both of you during prime European travel season. Flights have gone through the roof since the COVID restart. The fares to Europe last summer for premium economy were crazy prices, and the higher the price, the more points needed to redeem a fare.

For better or worse Delta has ATL locked up as their home and major hub, so for years I've leveraged my Delta Amex as much as I can. Make sure you look at websites like the Points Guy for any special offers for points. If the card offers 2x points for anything, use it (for example, my Delta Amex gives 2x points for booking hotels directly, for eating out and for buying groceries using the card, so I do all of these....)

We have a Barclays American Airlines cc. We only have 50,000 miles left on it. I’ve read that many cards will give you that if you spend so much within the first three months so I feel like we wouldn’t lose anything if we jumped to another card. Whatever we go with, we’ll probably just start putting everything on it to build miles as quickly as possible. It looks like 50,000 miles is only worth $750. We’ll never get enough to pay for two tickets, but maybe one of them. 

I will check out Points Guy. 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I did price them out for this summer, but was hoping it was so expensive because it’s not that far away. Is it really around 10k for two premium economy tickets?  😯  I kept seeing flights with foreign airlines. We have a Barclays American Airlines cc. My husband he will research a bit this weekend and see if the City card you mentioned is any better. 

We have a Barclays American Airlines cc. We only have 50,000 miles left on it. I’ve read that many cards will give you that if you spend so much within the first three months so I feel like we wouldn’t lose anything if we jumped to another card. Whatever we go with, we’ll probably just start putting everything on it to build miles as quickly as possible. It looks like 50,000 miles is only worth $750. We’ll never get enough to pay for two tickets, but maybe one of them. 

Yes, $10K for premium economy seems very high.  Last summer we flew business class for $4,700 for both of us.  Prices are higher now and the closer you get to the date they also go up.

You will get the best prices with either points or $ the moment the tickets are listed around 330 days before flight date.  Cash price may go lower, but point availability will not.

Foreign airlines are fine.  You will probably be flying code share with a US airline.  Make sure the airline is in one of the alliances with AA, Delta or United so you can use/get points for your flight.

To search for credit card deals compare the offers in:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/the-best-credit-cards

https://thepointsguy.com/

Check all flight possibilities in:

https://www.google.com/travel/flights

Most important, ask your cruise line for a quote on airfare for both premium economy and business.  They can "see" the flights way ahead of time.  If you book with them you will have a guaranteed price in the flight category even if the flight schedule changes closer to the date.  Do tell them that you want to fly direct to/from Charlotte if possible.  You could be pleasantly surprised. 

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Yes, $10K for premium economy seems very high.  Last summer we flew business class for $4,700 for both of us.  Prices are higher now and the closer you get to the date they also go up.

You will get the best prices with either points or $ the moment the tickets are listed around 330 days before flight date.  Cash price may go lower, but point availability will not.

Foreign airlines are fine.  You will probably be flying code share with a US airline.  Make sure the airline is in one of the alliances with AA, Delta or United so you can use/get points for your flight.

To search for credit card deals compare the offers in:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/the-best-credit-cards

https://thepointsguy.com/

Check all flight possibilities in:

https://www.google.com/travel/flights

Most important, ask your cruise line for a quote on airfare for both premium economy and business.  They can "see" the flights way ahead of time.  If you book with them you will have a guaranteed price in the flight category even if the flight schedule changes closer to the date.  Do tell them that you want to fly direct to/from Charlotte if possible.  You could be pleasantly surprised. 

We don't fly much.  I'm terrified of heights and planes and have to be medicated.  Hopefully that will work in my favor and I'll be able to sleep.  

What does code share mean?   

If we try to book 330 days out we won't have time to accumulate miles.  I was hoping to wait a year or so to earn miles first.  Our cruise is in June of 2024.

30 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What does code share mean?   

Here is an official definition. 

https://www.transportation.gov/policy/aviation-policy/licensing/code-sharing

It is used by  the airlines within an alliance.

Do check now with your cruise line for a quote on flights.  You might decide that the price is very reasonable and you will not have to stress over points. Grab it if they can get you the direct flights at a good price. If you can cancel the flights, better yet so you can keep checking. Last year the airlines often had the best prices. Keep checking with them before you actually buy elsewhere.

Edited by marazul

Code share means an airline is offering a flight, usually through an alliance, with another airline, as their own.

For example Lufthansa is flying SFO-Munich, Flt 123. United will list that flight for sale on their website, making it look like its an United flight, and give it a United flight number, (say Flt 456) even though it is being flown by Lufthansa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

A summary of what the others have said is the "best" depends on where you do the majority of your flying from...your home airport...and who serves it. As we fly from SFO, and United is the predominant carrier from SFO, we use United Chase card. Keep in mind the alliances that evolve from that main carrier.

The reason I posted it here was because I was asking about flying out of Rome or Venice. However, I didn't even realize there was a Cruise Air board.  Thanks though, I just posted a question there.  We live near Charlotte and American is the largest airline here and our current card is with them.  I don't know anything about alliances with them.  I don't even know how to log into our account.  I'm at the mercy of my husband doing so and he doesn't appear to be in a big hurry to check.  

11 minutes ago, marazul said:

Here is an official definition. 

https://www.transportation.gov/policy/aviation-policy/licensing/code-sharing

It is used by  the airlines within an alliance.

Do check now with your cruise line for a quote on flights.  You might decide that the price is very reasonable and you will not have to stress over points. Grab it if they can get you the direct flights at a good price. If you can cancel the flights, better yet so you can keep checking. Last year the airlines often had the best prices. Keep checking with them before you actually buy elsewhere.

I've tried.  It still says No flights found.  I'm guessing it's too early.

• Like 1

I use skyscanner.com to check out prices of various city pairs and airlines.  I know that AA partners with British Airways, and Iberia.  I used all 3 airlines in Sept when I flew out of Venice on an AA ticket. 

I'll be flying to Italy in May from Tucson.  It is much cheaper for me to fly from Tucson to Heathrow then switch to a european carrier for the last leg ( ie jet2, easyjet, ryan).   I'm flying economy, but the RT was only $900. 

Are there good fares from JFK, Boston or DC to Rome? of course you have to factor in the cost of Charlotte to that city, but it might save you $$/points.  Or maybe Charlotte to London, Paris or Munich then a european carrier for the last leg.  Lots of possibilities to research.

Have fun !

Good luck with your research

4 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

I use skyscanner.com to check out prices of various city pairs and airlines.  I know that AA partners with British Airways, and Iberia.  I used all 3 airlines in Sept when I flew out of Venice on an AA ticket. 

I'll be flying to Italy in May from Tucson.  It is much cheaper for me to fly from Tucson to Heathrow then switch to a european carrier for the last leg ( ie jet2, easyjet, ryan).   I'm flying economy, but the RT was only $900. 

Are there good fares from JFK, Boston or DC to Rome? of course you have to factor in the cost of Charlotte to that city, but it might save you $$/points.  Or maybe Charlotte to London, Paris or Munich then a european carrier for the last leg.  Lots of possibilities to research.

Have fun !

Good luck with your research

Playing around with different flights, I found it much cheaper to fly round trip to Rome and then get a flight from Rome to Barcelona.  Seems like a pain, but the savings would be worth it.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2023 at 5:34 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Well, she's trying to find a more inexpensive way to get from Charlotte to ITALY...  Thus, the tie-in. 😼

• Like 1

I'm with Cynthia, but another captive hub for Delta - SLC.  I've had my Delta Skymiles card since 1980, when I was traveling for work.  But, I've expanded from just that one to an AMEX Plat, thanks to my now-ex.  So, depending on what I'm buying and future plans, I do one or the other.   I do have all my recurring bill payments on the Delta card for a steady input of miles.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I'm with Cynthia, but another captive hub for Delta - SLC.  I've had my Delta Skymiles card since 1980, when I was traveling for work.  But, I've expanded from just that one to an AMEX Plat, thanks to my now-ex.  So, depending on what I'm buying and future plans, I do one or the other.   I do have all my recurring bill payments on the Delta card for a steady input of miles.

I was mistaken about American not flying from Charlotte to Rome. My husband wants to stick with the card we have, the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator. Are there better ones?  Perhaps. However after doing some searching there wasn’t a clear winner so sticking with what we already have seemed sensible and made him happy. I seriously doubt we can earn enough miles fast enough to use for this trip, but we can try. 

12 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I was mistaken about American not flying from Charlotte to Rome. My husband wants to stick with the card we have, the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator. Are there better ones?  Perhaps. However after doing some searching there wasn’t a clear winner so sticking with what we already have seemed sensible and made him happy. I seriously doubt we can earn enough miles fast enough to use for this trip, but we can try. 

I was on that direct flight from Charlotte to Rome last July. American also has direct flights from Charlotte to Barcelona at least in the summer. Ideally, you can get a "multi-city" ticket to fly direct to Barcelona and back from Rome.

The Citi AAdvantage Platinum card usually has generous bonuses (30K or 50K miles) for signing up. If you get a good deal, you can use each card to buy each ticket.  You don't have to buy both with the same card.  You can also use miles+$.  From time to time you can find sales on the AA website to buy miles with a bonus of extra miles for the same price.

Edited by marazul

7 hours ago, marazul said:

I was on that direct flight from Charlotte to Rome last July. American also has direct flights from Charlotte to Barcelona at least in the summer. Ideally, you can get a "multi-city" ticket to fly direct to Barcelona and back from Rome.

The Citi AAdvantage Platinum card usually has generous bonuses (30K or 50K miles) for signing up. If you get a good deal, you can use each card to buy each ticket.  You don't have to buy both with the same card.  You can also use miles+$.  From time to time you can find sales on the AA website to buy miles with a bonus of extra miles for the same price.

Currently it looks like a multi-city ticket is going to cost quite a bit more. Hopefully that won’t be the case when it’s time for us to buy. What type of seats did you have?  

He’s planning on using the Barclays card but we could always get a Citi one too. However, it looks like 50,000 miles is only worth $750. I don’t honk AA allows cash + miles, do they? 

14 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Currently it looks like a multi-city ticket is going to cost quite a bit more. Hopefully that won’t be the case when it’s time for us to buy. What type of seats did you have?  

He’s planning on using the Barclays card but we could always get a Citi one too. However, it looks like 50,000 miles is only worth $750. I don’t honk AA allows cash + miles, do they? 

We had business class. It was a great flight.

I am not sure what they allow now for points+$.  There were recent changes to their program. You have to check the website.

50K miles plus no annual fee for the first year is pretty good.

BTW - I am stuck in the house with a very mild case of covid rebound, so I am happy to answer any questions. (Bored out of my mind.)

50 minutes ago, marazul said:

We had business class. It was a great flight.

I am not sure what they allow now for points+$.  There were recent changes to their program. You have to check the website.

50K miles plus no annual fee for the first year is pretty good.

BTW - I am stuck in the house with a very mild case of covid rebound, so I am happy to answer any questions. (Bored out of my mind.)

Unfortunately, won’t be in business class. Were you in the flat seats?  That’s the way to do it if you can!! 

I’m glad your case is mild. Hope you feel better soon!!

39 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Unfortunately, won’t be in business class. Were you in the flat seats?  That’s the way to do it if you can!! 

I’m glad your case is mild. Hope you feel better soon!!

Yes, flat seats are nice. We got a deal from the cruise line air. 

That's why I recommended checking with them often before you buy. Do you have a TA?

And thanks, I am ok. Just the sniffles, but in "jail" for the next week. 😫

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Yes, flat seats are nice. We got a deal from the cruise line air. 

That's why I recommended checking with them often before you buy. Do you have a TA?

And thanks, I am ok. Just the sniffles, but in "jail" for the next week. 😫

I plan to check with Celebrity Air when it becomes available. I do have a TA but he doesn’t do air.