Royal Caribbean just changed vaccination requirements for transatlantic leaving from USA

sibs

Just now, topnole said:

It was not required previously and now it is.   You don’t call that a change?   

What date did they announce it wasn’t required? As I said I stopped following when I cancelled my TA but I am surprised I haven’t read multiple posts of elation on CC when it was announced. It is unusual for some thing like that to slip quietly by.

As far as I recall last announcements were for Fall crossings with the expectation that they would be updated before the Spring. I certainly missed any updates where they were not required for future TA’s but then I changed my sailing to a US repositioning cruise instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

What date did they announce it wasn’t required? As I said I stopped following when I cancelled my TA but I am surprised I haven’t read multiple posts of elation on CC when it was announced. It is unusual for some thing like that to slip quietly by.

As far as I recall last announcements were for Fall crossings with the expectation that they would be updated before the Spring. I certainly missed any updates where they were not required for future TA’s but then I changed my sailing to a US repositioning cruise instead.

The only exceptions listed to no vaccine cruises were Australian cruises and TAs leaving from Europe.  I callled Royal several times  to confirm spring TAs didn’t require a vaccine.   Spoke to several folks who confirmed with supervisors.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kim S. said:

I booked my transatlantic cruise on Royal Caribbean on November 17, 2022. At that time, they stated the the vaccine requirements were lifted and no longer required. I also checked with Royal Caribbean to verify that. I spent time researching our entry point (Barcelona) to make sure they didn't have any covid requirements.

Yesterday, Jan. 6, 2023, Royal Caribbean sent out an update email (already listed in previous comments). Now, vaccines are required for all passengers 12 and up. No vaccine is required for passengers under 12. 

I called Royal Caribbean yesterday to cancel our transatlantic and we booked a different cruise in its place (US). In the process, I spoke to two separate representatives that told me we did not need to be vaccinated for the transatlantic cruise we were booked on. Both representatives had not yet been advised of the new update. The email update was sent to me at 3pm (CST). I was on the phone with them at 3:45. 

I worked with very kind representatives that worked hard to help us change our cruise itinerary. I called and nicely explained that we would need to change our cruise and they were very helpful.

So, I am simply commenting to clarify that they had indeed lifted the vaccine requirements for many transatlantic sailings, but with the update yesterday, have reinstated vaccine requirements for all transatlantic and transpacific sailings.

Hopefully they didn't charge you a change fee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topnole said:

There was no vaccine required for spring TAs until this change.  I called royal several times on this and my question went up the ladder.   This is definitely a change.   

I was going to book Symphony a few weeks ago. Super cheap, under £500pp for a balcony for 12 nights.  I didn't because of the testing requirement.  Coming from the UK I didn't want the stress of testing after the mess we had in Italy last June with testing. 

Edited by sgmn

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Sorry didn’t realize Symphony was so early. I have never taken one that early in the year.

It's going over early for a dry dock before the spring and summer season in Europe.  9th March I think. Very good price, though its gone up a bit from the super low price of a few weeks ago. 

Edited by sgmn

14 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Nothing , either refund their deposit or let them change the cruise 

Well, it looked like they did that, which is good.   Hopefully no change fee was required.  

I'd put myself in the OP's place and thought of my non-refundable deposits.  

Extremely unlikely that they'll be adding a vax req, to my Galveston to Mexico cruise, but then I wouldn't have thought that they'd have added back any vax requirements.  

15 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Well, it looked like they did that, which is good.   Hopefully no change fee was required.  

I'd put myself in the OP's place and thought of my non-refundable deposits.  

Extremely unlikely that they'll be adding a vax req, to my Galveston to Mexico cruise, but then I wouldn't have thought that they'd have added back any vax requirements.  

Vaccine requirement for a closed loop CONUS cruise will not happen. Mandates in this country are so polarizing that even the government has no appetite to take on the topic. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have clarification on what is actually required.  Is it just full vax?  That is what is listed as the requirement for the countries visited.  

Or is it full vax withn 270 days or fully vaccinated and boosted at any prior time?   That is what is listed for some parts of Europe.  The requirement statement doesn’t state which is required by Royal.  

They don’t say which is the requirement for the TAs and even in the first statement they say boosters are encouraged.  Why would they even include the first statement if they are mandating the more stringent requirement for any potential Euro country.  

Typical Royal communication that is clear as mud.  One or two words

would resolve all ambiguity in there statement.  How ridiculous.  

• Like 1

Royal has not required boosters, only suggested. But it is up to each country to decide what is required. I left from Barcelona in Oct. on the Wonder and Spain was still following the 270 rule. I had to get a booster (my first). A week or so before I sailed, they changed the 270 rule and no longer required boosters. I would check with the departure countries to make sure of requirement.

I should probably head over to the Celebrity postings for this but just wanted a quick ask to you all -- we're cruising from Vancouver to Hawaii (1-way) in September on Celebrity Solstice and this is the first I've heard of vaccinations and testing required for TP cruises. Will this be in effect for our cruise to Hawaii?

7 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I should probably head over to the Celebrity postings for this but just wanted a quick ask to you all -- we're cruising from Vancouver to Hawaii (1-way) in September on Celebrity Solstice and this is the first I've heard of vaccinations and testing required for TP cruises. Will this be in effect for our cruise to Hawaii?

Are you getting off in Hawaii? If you are I don’t think Celebrity considers that to be a TP 

• Like 2

Just now, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Are you getting off in Hawaii? If you are I don’t think Celebrity considers that to be a TP 

Yes, we will leave the ship in Honolulu, stay 5 nights there, and then fly back to Indiana (1st time for me to fly first class and I am sooooo excited)!! Celebrating 40th anniversary cruise!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

Yes, we will leave the ship in Honolulu, stay 5 nights there, and then fly back to Indiana (1st time for me to fly first class and I am sooooo excited)!! Celebrating 40th anniversary cruise!!

I believe you would follow these requirements 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/healthy-at-sea/international-travel-requirements

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 8:34 AM, crzndeb said:

But it stated it can be an unsupervised test, which makes it easier.

Accepted Tests 
Guests can take advantage of in-person, telehealth, and self-swab tests. This includes unsupervised testing. Proof of a negative test can be the printed or digital results, a clear photo of your self-test result, or your actual self-test in hand. To learn more about our accepted tests, visit our FAQ. 

Not true for a transatlantic. They require a supervised test. 

Yes, it’s very confusing. In one statement they say “fully vaccinated,” which is just two original shots and no booster. Then the following paragraph talks about “up to date” in Europe, which is booster after 270 days. I called for clarification and they assured me that we were fine with just the two original shots and that the booster is not required, just recommend. I just don’t really have any confidence in the info over the phone though. They did tell me I am eligible to cancel up until the sail date for a full refund since there was a protocol change after I booked. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Becka1711 said:

Yes, it’s very confusing. In one statement they say “fully vaccinated,” which is just two original shots and no booster. Then the following paragraph talks about “up to date” in Europe, which is booster after 270 days. I called for clarification and they assured me that we were fine with just the two original shots and that the booster is not required, just recommend. I just don’t really have any confidence in the info over the phone though. They did tell me I am eligible to cancel up until the sail date for a full refund since there was a protocol change after I booked. 

That verbiage has always been there for European cruises.

At the time (I don't know if any countries still do) you couldn't enter some countries without additional testing if you weren't up to date, but you were still allowed on the cruise just by being fully vaccinated.

Edited by smokeybandit

41 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Not true for a transatlantic. They require a supervised test. 

Found this on Royal website. 

For Transatlantic and Transpacific Cruises

All guests age 2 and older must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 test taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing.

Required testing can be completed using any type of PCR or antigen COVID-19 test. It can be professionally proctored at your doctor or drugstore, or it can be a test you administer to yourself at home without supervision.

4 hours ago, Becka1711 said:

Well the refund part is reassuring if indeed true.   

• Like 1