QV and/or QM2 World Cruise Blogs 2023

Oslo Dutch

8 minutes ago, Crofters said:

Morning everyone, we thought we should update now we have left Singapore and last night was the onshore world gala event.

unfortunately the immigration process in Singapore is a mess which is not ideal as we have spent three days there over two visits in the last ten days. On the first day it took up to two and a half hours to disembark the ship through immigration and many people simply gave up and didn't get off the ship. As part of that process we had thumb prints and eye pictures taken and a sticker put on our passport to enable us to go through the express lanes whenever we got off the ship again.

This seemed to work much better on our second day in port last week but not yesterday when we returned. Not all of the express lanes worked as they should in the morning so some people had to go through the manual immigration lanes so it took an hour or more to disembark in the morning, and we were off before most people.

However, the real problems arose at 5pm when over 900 people doing the world cruise tried to disembark. All of the immigration systems went down apparently so only the manual lanes were open. We had been instructed to meet from 5pm for a 6pm start at the flower dome at the gardens in the bay. Some people didn't arrive until well after 7pm and some just gave up completely and stayed on the ship.

We would like to say the evening improved from there but it didn't. A few days beforehand we had learnt the dress code was smart casual, there were no assigned tables, and there would only be enough tables and chairs for the majority of people. It also was to be food served from food stations.

In reality we were put in a function room that could never have catered for over 900 people and there were small tables with four chairs and some high up tables with bar stools which had cold canapés for two placed on them before we arrived. We were given a drink on arrival but thereafter had to go to some trestle tables at the back of the room to get our own drinks as the waiters only collected empty glasses. The hot canapés were stone cold and insufficient in number, we only received one on our table. Then there was only one food station for the main food that everyone had to queue for if they wanted food. You can imagine the lengths of queues and many, ourselves included, had no food. For those that did queue they were given a disposable plate with disposable cutlery and a plate of chicken curry with a flatbread. There were a couple of small paper cups with some alternative but I have no idea what they contained. The dessert was mainly waiters carrying paper cups with fruit in. The whole thing was a complete farce and Cunard must be very embarrassed by the whole event.

Angus Struthers was in attendance and he seemed upset at what transpired for the amount of money it must have cost. We were given access to the flower dome itself from nine o clock but by 8:30 the room was no more than a third full as most people had given up ad gone back to the ship or decided to go and watch the light show. They certainly didn't return after the light show.

By the time the recorded pop music was put on at 9:30 there were no more than twenty people dancing and the room was pretty empty. We stayed until the end and determined to enjoy ourselves for the farce it was.

Ultimately it will not detract from the incredible trip we are having but it was a complete embarrassment and many were very upset by it all.

Thank you so much for the update. What a disappointment. Previous World Cruise parties , especially Melbourne in 2020 and San Francisco in 2017, have been fabulous affairs - almost the highlight of the voyage. Hong Kong in 2019 (?) was a disaster as they tried to have a joint party for both QM2 and QV, but even that sounds better than what you experienced. I am so sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crofters said:

Morning everyone, we thought we should update now we have left Singapore and last night was the onshore world gala event.

unfortunately the immigration process in Singapore is a mess which is not ideal as we have spent three days there over two visits in the last ten days. On the first day it took up to two and a half hours to disembark the ship through immigration and many people simply gave up and didn't get off the ship. As part of that process we had thumb prints and eye pictures taken and a sticker put on our passport to enable us to go through the express lanes whenever we got off the ship again.

This seemed to work much better on our second day

I am shocked and sorry to read of your experience. To be honest Singapore has suffered from the customs process for a couple of years now its almost as bad as trying to get into the states but I'm more disappointed on your behalf of the WC dinner as reported and that must have been a big let down for you.

Hopefully you are correct and it was a concern to Mr Struthers and the situation is rectified by the time the WC 2024 cruises begin and they find a way of making it up to you on your continued journey..............

• Like 2

How very disappointing - I feel you have been robbed of what by all accounts is a highly anticipated memorable occasion.  We were on a segment of QM2 World cruise in 2019 and embarkation (Hong Kong) disembarkation (Singapore) we’re seamless - obviously pre covid! Friends we met on board reported back that the World Cruise gala was a spectacular affair, everyone in full evening regalia and treated like VIP’s which was held in a Middle Eastern port (sorry can’t remember) en route back to UK.  Delighted to hear you are continuing to have an amazing time and thanks again for your updates.

• Like 1

Hopefully by next year's QM2 world cruise Cunard will have found a few employees that understand tradition and act on it. It is not only Cunard but in most everything on shore these days. Those that know and appreciate tradition are retiring and the new employees have zero idea about such things and go about setting up events for an older crowd just like they would enjoy it with the rest of their 20 -40 something friends. One hopes the good CEO went back home and fired the person or persons who put together that disaster in Singapore. No excuse for such shoddy work unless as I stated they simply do not understand tradition and a better level of what should have been a formal evening with a fine sit down dinner, good dance music that played throughout dinner and long afterward as was the practice with past world cruise gala.parties.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

Very sad situation for you and I thank you for sharing it.  I am not so sure I could have been positive after all that.  Cunard seems to be floundering in these times but I hope they can get it together.

I don't think Cunard are floundering as such but I do think they have had negative publicity as far as treating passengers affected by Hull-Gate are concerned and the WC Gala fiasco, if as described, will not enhance their reputation.

Maybe another Gala dinner will be arranged as a face saving exercise.

• Like 3

Just picked this up on one of my Facebook groups….

‘Just a quick update from QM2 anchored off Bali. It is too rough to tender ashore so we will now make our way to Darwin.
I’m sure someone else will post about the shambolic embarkation in Singapore so all I will say is that it was a relief to finally get on board.
The ship is as lovely as ever. The food has been good and I’ve met some lovely people, most of whom seems to live around the bournemouth area!
I haven’t been to any shows yet. Still on the early nights - jet lag. But the Commodore is as lively as ever.
Many days ahead as we all settle down on course for Sydney.
Take care all.’

Not having much luck I guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Just picked this up on one of my Facebook groups….

‘Just a quick update from QM2 anchored off Bali. It is too rough to tender ashore so we will now make our way to Darwin.
I’m sure someone else will post about the shambolic embarkation in Singapore so all I will say is that it was a relief to finally get on board.
The ship is as lovely as ever. The food has been good and I’ve met some lovely people, most of whom seems to live around the bournemouth area!
I haven’t been to any shows yet. Still on the early nights - jet lag. But the Commodore is as lively as ever.
Many days ahead as we all settle down on course for Sydney.
Take care all.’

Not having much luck I guess.

Thanks for posting that. Missing Bali must be very disappointing. 

On 2/25/2023 at 10:17 AM, Lakesregion said:

Those that know and appreciate tradition are retiring and the new employees have zero idea

That's very true and will be compounded by the effect that skimming the staff from the existing three ships to staff the fourth will have. I addressed a question on this topic to a member of staff when I was recently on board. I'll try not to be too dramatic in my assessment of it but it is going to be a very complex and difficult operation for them to staff the new ship whilst trying to retain some semblance of the aura of Cunard on the existing ships and appropriately competent staff. I won't repeat verbatim what was said to me (in case it was not exactly accurate) but they do plan to take a lot of staff from the existing ships. I think they can ill-afford to do this. The better staff seem to be reserved for certain areas of the ship (i.e. Queens Grills areas) (QE is the one I was aboard recently) and some areas of the ship are staffed by people who don't seem to have been trained in basic good manners let alone a Cunard way of treating passengers.

They need to invest more in recruitment and training. I would include the administration staff in this.

• Like 1

Enjoying your blog Roscoe - the rumours appear to be getting more flamboyant on Victoria. We have just disembarked QM 2 and the launderette one regarding the iron attack was still going strong. This time the "perpetrator" was "put ashore" in Lisbon. Certainly more interesting on Victoria !!!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2023 at 11:28 AM, Solent Richard said:

Just thought some may like to see exactly the fare that was served up at the Queen Mary 2 Singapore World Cruise event...

QM2SingaporeGalaEveningmeal.thumb.jpg.250cd3e830007f888d02bcf1f4a3d12e.jpg

Unbelievable !   I would have to be Drunk, staggering around Boogie Street in the early hours of the morning to be eating this Slop,  and to think  the QM2 (full World Cruise Guests) dressed up for this event .

The UK events team responsible for arranging this shambles  should be thrown overboard. 

However, Cunard have obviously pulled their socks up for the Queen Victoria WV event, now taking place in Dubai. 👍

Solent Richard can you post a couple of those Q.Vic  photos please, that have recently been received on fb  😉 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Unbelievable !   I would have to be Drunk, staggering around Boogie Street in the early hours of the morning to be eating this Slop,  and to think  the QM2 (full World Cruise Guests) dressed up for this event .

The UK events team responsible for arranging this shambles  should be thrown overboard. 

However, Cunard have obviously pulled their socks up for the Queen Victoria WV event, now taking place in Dubai. 👍

Solent Richard can you post a couple of those Q.Vic  photos please, that have recently been received on fb  😉 

Here at your request @Bell Boy

339575139_6097694376986670_6830011008569604508_n.thumb.jpeg.af231aeec6b86040ff1eeecef4d5b48b.jpeg

339503354_762893341851805_129451923562455424_n.thumb.jpeg.06c82342eae13125662d1e299e204cca.jpeg

339650823_150265357697676_706448629442672924_n.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just joined Queen Mary 2 in Cape Town, after a wonderful 2 weeks in South Africa.

We will be on board until New York, and hope to be keeping up with my blog:

www.whereissafarigal.com

I am a bit behind - too much fun in the game reserves, but should be up and current with Queen Mary 2 by tomorrow 🙂

• Like 8

9 hours ago, safarigal said:

I have just joined Queen Mary 2 in Cape Town, after a wonderful 2 weeks in South Africa.

We will be on board until New York, and hope to be keeping up with my blog:

www.whereissafarigal.com

I am a bit behind - too much fun in the game reserves, but should be up and current with Queen Mary 2 by tomorrow 🙂

wooohoooo! Off to read now hope you guys have a fantastic trip regards to B

• Like 1