Dress codes for dining room

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I guess I am going to show my age here but I do not understand this obsession that some seem to have with wearing shorts to the main dining room.  What am I missing?  

Comfort!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Comfort!  

I find dress slacks and a long sleeve collared shirt comfortable, even more so that shorts and a t-shirt in dining rooms.  They are usually too cold for me to wear shorts. 

• Like 2

We were on Harmony last month and Allure last week and I can attest that dress code wasn't enforced in any of the specialty restaurants or coastal kitchen for that matter. While we don't necessarily "dress up" in a formal attire we DO dress appropriately for the venue, but there were plenty of people in shorts and t-shirts, hats, etc, so it really doesn't matter 🙃

Edited by GetToLivin
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Don't think it is about age, but rather the lack of respect.  When traveling outside the USA, the word suggestion means to do it.....but here, so many people want to warp the intent to doing what they want.  

I once saw a lady throw a fit, for being told they can't enter a place of worship, because she would not put a cover up on.  But that was one of many cases where someone from the USA, thought the suggestions weren't for them.  There are truely so many things I see when I travel, that I'm dumbfounded of why people do it.  

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Its not a lack of respect.

I follow the rules as set by the people operating the venue.  Once had a sleeveless shirt on and went to MDR for breakfast. Staff reminded me I needed sleeves, so I apologized for forgetting and went and changed shirts.  Truly an error.

When I sail on the Equinox this summer, I'll wear slacks.  And a jacket if needed.

But when the staff says shorts are ok, well that's what I'm wearing. 

Climb down off your high horse.  Why do you care what I'm wearing?  How does that impact your vacation?  I'm courteous, hold elevators, tip staff well, and try to follow the rules.  It really doesn't matter.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I find dress slacks and a long sleeve collared shirt comfortable, even more so that shorts and a t-shirt in dining rooms.  They are usually too cold for me to wear shorts. 

Good for you.  I don’t understand YOUR obsession with other people’s clothes.  What business is it of yours?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

9 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

I usually wear jeans or slacks to the MDR but I pay no attention or care to what other people wear.   

8 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

I follow the rules as set by the people operating the venue.  Once had a sleeveless shirt on and went to MDR for breakfast. Staff reminded me I needed sleeves, so I apologized for forgetting and went and changed shirts.  Truly an error.

When I sail on the Equinox this summer, I'll wear slacks.  And a jacket if needed.

Climb down off your high horse.  Why do you care what I'm wearing?  How does that impact your vacation?  I'm courteous, hold elevators, tip staff well, and try to follow the rules.  It really doesn't matter.

Like many others in here, I am a rule follower.  However, I go by the golden rule that words mean things.  A suggestion is just that, a suggestion, no matter where you live.  I also wear, at least,  a nice pair of blue jeans and a Polo or button down shirt only out of respect for my wife.  She's a little more formal than I (happy wife, happy life).  I also wear a hat into the MDR or specialty restaurant.  If I remember to take it off or if reminded by my wife, I take it off when I get seated.    

But, you know what?  When I see someone in the MDR or specialty restaurant on "formal" night wearing shorts and a T, my meal was just as good or bad as if that someone was wearing a Tux.  Now, on occasion some people are entertaining the way they dress, that's for sure.  But, I can smile or laugh and still enjoy my family/friends and my meal, good or bad, regardless of how others are dressed, as long as it is not obscene.  

Royal uses the words "Suggestion" and "Acceptable Options" to describe their dress code.  I don't feel that is anything more than what it says.  I don't think "respect" enters into it, at all.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

"When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

Formal nights

Think of our formal dress code as a night out in your best black-tie look — suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns are all acceptable options. There can be 1 to 4 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion. Our Chef’s Table dining experience also enforces a formal dress code policy".

• Like 2

There are no dress codes. Royal is finally getting out of the dark ages. The contemporary cruiser who will sustain the business for the next decade is not interested in hauling gowns and tuxes. 

You are on vacation. Dress as causally as you like. This was the MDR line on “formal night” on the Wonder. 
358E9021-5CD4-438B-B33F-1216458EE06B.png.7de57ae48de972cf946b52d3c95880b2.png

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

High Horse?  Many people on these boards will say what you say, such as why is it my business?  No matter where I go, it is human nature, to make judgements of others.  Like if 3 couples sitting at the dinner table, dressed really nice (slacks/dress shirts for men and dresses for women) and the 4th couple comes in with a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, those people around that couple, will judge them.  Will it change the meal?  No.  But they will be judged as being disrespectful to the recommended attire for the evening.  It's not about the "staff", or how much you tip (I tip only the recommended amounts and 18%).  Or if you are polite.  IF you read my post, you will also notice that it is not only the dress suggestions on the ship, but the idea when you get off the ship, it flows with you to how you respect other items in the countries visited.  It's a package deal.  So although it does not impact my vacation, it does impact my impression, which is kept to myself.  It is a fact of life.  

20 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I guess I am going to show my age here but I do not understand this obsession that some seem to have with wearing shorts to the main dining room.  What am I missing?  

And I don't understand this obsession some seem to have to with caring what others are wearing. How does it effect your cruise or your dinner to see someone being comfortable and dressing the way they wish to on their vacation?

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

High Horse?  Many people on these boards will say what you say, such as why is it my business?  No matter where I go, it is human nature, to make judgements of others.  Like if 3 couples sitting at the dinner table, dressed really nice (slacks/dress shirts for men and dresses for women) and the 4th couple comes in with a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, those people around that couple, will judge them.  Will it change the meal?  No.  But they will be judged as being disrespectful to the recommended attire for the evening.  It's not about the "staff", or how much you tip (I tip only the recommended amounts and 18%).  Or if you are polite.  IF you read my post, you will also notice that it is not only the dress suggestions on the ship, but the idea when you get off the ship, it flows with you to how you respect other items in the countries visited.  It's a package deal.  So although it does not impact my vacation, it does impact my impression, which is kept to myself.  It is a fact of life.  

It is your right to make judgments about people and things.  I'd fight to the death for you to have that right.  You should be able to have those judgments.  However, it's how, where, and with whom you present those judgements.  I'm not saying that you have done what I'm about to say, it's a general comment.

I find fault with those that try to force, by force I mean by hard suggestion, non-factual assumption/information, provable facts, and social pressure to do or not do something as mundane as wearing shorts to a dining room.  Discussing what you want in you inner circle about such mundane issues like shorts in a dining room is common place.  What someone wears in a dining room has no effect on anybody else.  Discussing the Internet on a ship, the food, the cabin service does effect just about everybody else on a cruise ship, the cruising public.

Well, I'm off to do my daily 3.5 and I'm going to do it in shorts LOL.

2 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

And I don't understand this obsession some seem to have to with caring what others are wearing.

Yet others seem to be obsessed with what other people care about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There are no dress codes. Royal is finally getting out of the dark ages. The contemporary cruiser who will sustain the business for the next decade is not interested in hauling gowns and tuxes. 

You are on vacation. Dress as causally as you like. This was the MDR line on “formal night” on the Wonder. 
358E9021-5CD4-438B-B33F-1216458EE06B.png.7de57ae48de972cf946b52d3c95880b2.png

Doesn't bother me what people wear (or don't) in the case of no socks by your man with the backpack, but you would not see that replicated on a UK cruise. As my previous post I saw people turned away from the MDR over the summer on Anthem for wearing shorts. 

As a side issue Its been a while since we have cruised from the States and that queue for the MDR is just a world away from the four deep lines we saw on any night in the MDR let alone formal night. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Doesn't bother me what people wear (or don't) in the case of no socks by your man with the backpack, but you would not see that replicated on a UK cruise. As my previous post I saw people turned away from the MDR over the summer on Anthem for wearing shorts. 

As a side issue Its been a while since we have cruised from the States and that queue for the MDR is just a world away from the four deep lines we saw on any night in the MDR let alone formal night. 

He has socks on.  They are called no shows.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 8:28 AM, White123 said:

Used to have to have trousers, shirt and tie?   Ok to be casual?    Thanks

In my head this sounded like someone pulling the pin out of a grenade and tossing it into this forum

14 hours ago, poocher said:

Good for you.  I don’t understand YOUR obsession with other people’s clothes.  What business is it of yours?

It’s not the clothes, it the failure to follow the guidelines. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, poocher said:

You were the kid they shoved in lockers in school weren’t you.

No, I was larger that most of my class mates and if there was any shoving into lockers being done, I had no involvement.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Royal calls them "suggestions" and/or "Options".  I guess it's what the definition of what is is.  LOL

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 11:09 PM, DaKahuna said:

If the staff says it's OK, well I'm OK.

Had a new shirt shrink on me before I took it on a cruise.  Unfortunately it was the only clean nice shirt I had.  Couldn't even get my shoulders into it.  Wore my nicest t-shirt to Chops.  Explained my situation, offered to cancel.  They had no problem seating me. 

No one died.  No one lost their dinner.  Women and children didn't run screaming from Chops.  

And my waiter got a big fat tip.

• Like 1