The End of Lincoln Center

foodsvcmgr

27 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

Here is the points guy warning of this change.

Not sure why they would feel it wise to mention this to that site.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-line-removes-music-venues/

There’s no mention of what the R class ships will get. Perhaps each pax is handed a kazu with their cruise card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Loved the LCS on the Statendam this past December and will again on the Rotterdam in February. Guess I would have to concur with previous observations that these extremely talented musicians don't produce any "drinks sold profit" for HAL. A sad loss.

• Like 1

Ships have two constrained limits. venue space and crew quarters. I suspect the Lincoln Center decision is less about alcohol sales (getting to be even less of an issue as more passengers buy drink packages) then it is about deciding that they can make a better use of the space or can use the entertainer cabins for different entertainers.

From a voyage last summer on the Eurodam, it was sad to see that test kitchen was gone and LCS was very reduced.  However, it was nice to see some more lively cruise staff, more comedy shows, and some variety/game shows.  Granted its the same pattern of entertainment princess has embraced for quite some time, although not to the same "level" as some of the more recent Princess offerings (deal or no deal, voice of the sea).  While I know it makes some folks disappointed, I'm happy to see HAL bolster and diversify its evening entertainment portfolio beyond just musical evening entertainment.

16 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

From a voyage last summer on the Eurodam, it was sad to see that test kitchen was gone and LCS was very reduced.  However, it was nice to see some more lively cruise staff, more comedy shows, and some variety/game shows.  Granted its the same pattern of entertainment princess has embraced for quite some time, although not to the same "level" as some of the more recent Princess offerings (deal or no deal, voice of the sea).  While I know it makes some folks disappointed, I'm happy to see HAL bolster and diversify its evening entertainment portfolio beyond just musical evening entertainment.

ATK is way too far above most people's cooking skills.  I have a subscription to their site and if you wish to make a simple dish complicated, they know how to do it.  LOL.

What I love is that they try popular stuff 100 ways and I can read about how to make a dish successfully.  But you MUST know what you are doing to follow any ATK recipe (not the one's that they refer to you).  

Here is a simple snap peas recipe.  45 minutes, LMAO.
https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/15449-buttery-sugar-snap-peas

I can make these in 5 min.

I had a tour of the kitchen and demonstration with the ship chef, back on my first 2 cruises (~2000).  It was perfect.  We got to cook and he helped!  Kitchen tour was included.

I would do some kind of cooking thing if they offer it.  I would have been sold on the ATK endorsement, but now I know their style and recipes and would think twice.  Probably still pretty fun.  Definitely a decent resource for kitchen gadgets.  Better than consumer reports.

Edited by bdd123

14 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

ATK is way too far above most people's cooking skills.  I have a subscription to their site and if you wish to make a simple dish complicated, they know how to do it.  LOL.

That's true, some of their recipes require an 2 or 3 times the effort (prep, and dishes) to make something that tastes only slightly better.

I did always appreciate some of their "tricks' however - one that I remember to this day is that when making poached eggs, to crack the egg in a colander for 30 seconds and let the runniest of the white drain and then cook the rest in water with a splash of vinegar.  Since I learned that trick, my poached eggs have been as good as from the dining room on HAL.

I always thought it was a missed opportunity to bring some of the dishes they demonstrated on board, as a menu item in the dining room.  Granted, most were somewhat on the simple side (braised salmon, grilled cheese sandwich) but when I would take the recipe cards home and make them, they were quite good.  But as you say, its generally significantly more work.  They got close on the Pinnacle ships with the cooking "lab', but  I go on cruises so I can eat what other people cook 🙂.   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

That's true, some of their recipes require an 2 or 3 times the effort (prep, and dishes) to make something that tastes only slightly better.

I did always appreciate some of their "tricks' however - one that I remember to this day is that when making poached eggs, to crack the egg in a colander for 30 seconds and let the runniest of the white drain and then cook the rest in water with a splash of vinegar.  Since I learned that trick, my poached eggs have been as good as from the dining room on HAL.

I always thought it was a missed opportunity to bring some of the dishes they demonstrated on board, as a menu item in the dining room.  Granted, most were somewhat on the simple side (braised salmon, grilled cheese sandwich) but when I would take the recipe cards home and make them, they were quite good.  But as you say, its generally significantly more work.  They got close on the Pinnacle ships with the cooking "lab', but  I go on cruises so I can eat what other people cook 🙂.   

Yep.  Unfortunately I cook as good as most chefs, so I send stuff back if not cooked to order, if it does not meet my expectations or if it differs from the menu.  I manage to pull this off in a very nice manner.  I don't get upset about it at all, I just point out their error.  I am not the customer that puts up with something unsatisfactory, to follow up with a crap review.  I ask them to give me what I ordered and what they said they would deliver.  The only resultant review should be 5/5.  😉

I buy really great eggs from a neighbor or get the best possible at the store.  There is none of the runny stuff you mention.  I only see that on the real cheap eggs, like the ones that are caged in 1'x1' cages . I don't mind them much other than inhumane, we should all have access to cheap eggs!

I REALLY wish my neighborhood allow chickens.  I would have so many more friends.

If you do get a runny egg, the runny stuff can be manipulated away from the main poach.  Easily if done right after you drop, but even later is fine..  I use something close to below.  It is thin and can easily manipulate/cut the stringy/spindly stuff away from the good part of the poach and into the water.  Not worth dirtying another kitchen device and I use the slotted spoon to retrieve them anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Xingmin-Slotted-Stainless-Strainer-Professional/dp/B08JMCH76N/ref=sr_1_4?crid=T0CGIN8T0MR3

7 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

There’s no mention of what the R class ships will get. Perhaps each pax is handed a kazu with their cruise card.

That sounds like an upgrade :).  And that kazu will be rented for $9.95 +18% per day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I'm surprised to hear this. I've been cooking with ATK recipes for many years and consider my skills pretty basic. Perhaps I'm not giving myself enough credit. 

Perhaps you are good for sure as ATK recipes are toough.   You don't get many real ones without the subscription.   They point you to other sites an bait you for more subscriptions.    IMO a scam, but I still like ATK.

Look at their turkey and duck confit recipes.  Duck confit recipe should be duckfat + duck + oven.   Theirs takes a week or so.

Their ideal turkey burger, which rocks, is inconceivable by most home cooks but easy for you and I.    All they really need for me is add some gelatin and baking soda and their research pays off.    I don't need 4 other pages and 30 minutes prep for a turkey burger.

They make roasting a chicken and turkey tough too.

• Like 1

Agreeing with the majority that I will miss the availability of LCS shows each day (versus hoping the traveling LCS is scheduled for the HAL voyage I'm on).  Also agree that HAL desperately needs to improve their enrichment program;  presentations by REAL experts (not the cruise director reading from a main office script & video about cycling for example) is one of missing ingredients for me.  The talks don't have to be "stuffy or pedantic" - a sports or entertainment figure (on Cunard, they've had the man who ran the behind-the-scenes at Wimbledon; sports journalists; set designers; etc). These would appeal to a wide range of passenger ages, nationalities, etc.  and would make use of the World Stage during days. 

I sail primarily on HAL and Cunard and felt HAL's Music Walk was a differentiator between the mid-category lines but with these changes to LCS and BB Kings, I will try Oceania & Viking instead. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Queenvee said:

Agreeing with the majority that I will miss the availability of LCS shows each day (versus hoping the traveling LCS is scheduled for the HAL voyage I'm on).  Also agree that HAL desperately needs to improve their enrichment program;  presentations by REAL experts (not the cruise director reading from a main office script & video about cycling for example) is one of missing ingredients for me.  The talks don't have to be "stuffy or pedantic" - a sports or entertainment figure (on Cunard, they've had the man who ran the behind-the-scenes at Wimbledon; sports journalists; set designers; etc). These would appeal to a wide range of passenger ages, nationalities, etc.  and would make use of the World Stage during days. 

I sail primarily on HAL and Cunard and felt HAL's Music Walk was a differentiator between the mid-category lines but with these changes to LCS and BB Kings, I will try Oceania & Viking instead. 

Why oceania and viking?  No celebrity?

Other than being entertained, I like to learn new things on a cruise.  In December, 2019, on the Westerdam they had a class on using your cell phone as a camera.  I had no idea of the capabilities of my iPhone camera, such as editing the pictures until I took the class.  He even took us out of the classroom to wander around the ship and learn new ways to compose pictures.  I did enjoy the Microsoft courses, but after a few hundred days on HAL I think I attended them all.  On our next Westerdam cruise the class was no longer offered.

Ray

We were on Eurodam in December. We chose HAL for the LCS. It’s a 3 day drive to a HAL ship but worth it to us for the music!  We were at every set, worked our dinner around them, and met others who did the same. What amazing performances they gave us!  

The LCS musicians were finishing their 5 month contract with that cruise. They were outstanding musicians from US, Canada and Italy.  Well educated, well trained and well disciplined. They said that auditions for these jobs are very competitive. They were all disappointed that they couldn’t renew their contracts. They loved playing their music nightly for people who really appreciated it. The venue was usually packed. 

They told us the venue would be remodeled and they had heard rumors that LCS might become a Main Stage show. 

We have a family cruise next month with 8 of us in 4 cabins on Rotterdam. We’ll find out what HAL has for classical music, if any.  

Our first cruise was in 2003 on Carnival with a classical quartet!  We’ve seen the degradation of classical music over time from quartets to trios, duos and singles, then to nothing on Carnival, Princess, Norwegian and HAL. When HAL resurrected classical music with LCS it was a great step forward in improving music entertainment with the Music Walk, and the classical offering was a quartet plus piano so a quintet.  We had had a 4 yr break from HAL( medical issues followed by COVID) so it was surprising to see just the quartet last month. But devastating to hear of the demise of the lounge venue. Next month we’ll find out if LCS plays at all on our 11-nighter.  

I doubt we’ll make the drive to Florida again after the family cruise if LCS becomes a hit or miss offering. We can cruise from closer ports. 

We’ll very much miss LCS but the rest of HAL is nothing special anymore. The enrichment is nearly non-existent. The computer and photography classes are gone with the pillow chocolates.  The MDR on newer ships is too loud to converse, the service is not anything better than the other lines and sometimes worse - on Carnival there are no buzzers to wait for a hamburger at the pool, and you actually get what you ask for, with a broad smile!  

As 4 star Mariners it’s disappointing but we’re Platinum on Princess and Carnival, gold I think on Norwegian and similar on Celebrity. HAL might not lose much without us, others will fill in behind us, probably buying the HIA package! Nothing stays the same forever. Life is good, we’re grateful we can enjoy it, but HAL is not as good for us as it once was. 
Maureen 

• Like 2

I always found it a shame that LCS performers and guests had to contend with passers-by who were oblivious to the “quiet” request, which was easily missed.  If they were to move to a MainStage show with additional performers, I could see this being a great hit and one I would be sure to attend.

On our Sky Princess TA last March, the Extravaganza String Duet performed daily in the atrium.  They were amazing!  I would love to see them on HAL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I always found it a shame that LCS performers and guests had to contend with passers-by who were oblivious to the “quiet” request, which was easily missed.  If they were to move to a MainStage show with additional performers, I could see this being a great hit and one I would be sure to attend.

On our Sky Princess TA last March, the Extravaganza String Duet performed daily in the atrium.  They were amazing!  I would love to see them on HAL.

Was the Atrium a quiet enough venue?  m—

Just now, RMLincoln said:

Was the Atrium a quiet enough venue?  m—

I would say that it was more for background music than formal performance.  The area wasn’t “loud” but if you were unfortunate to be seated next to a loud table then it did interfere with enjoyment if you were specifically there for the performance.  The area where you see the piano is where they performed.  (The act following them was the piano man.)

6A02D564-96EE-4DC8-9198-CA070F082D4D.thumb.jpeg.16da70a76631bf7f95723eaf5577514a.jpeg

55499213-46FF-4F13-9346-7A8EFEBFCEC3.thumb.jpeg.450efbc8d5513f5dc26810387babb45c.jpeg

I wonder  if people are really reading these articles from both the Points Guy and Cruise Hive or just reacting to the title! Here are my paraphrasing of what those two have said in the last few days:

---Both say that Lincoln Center is going away, but it's the LOCATION, not the classical music! The understanding I got from both articles was that the Lincoln Center musicians will become a traveling ensemble by the summer of 2023 and be playing on the Main Stage.  They don't mention what is happening to the old Lincoln Center stage area (I'm personally hoping for a Grand Dutch Cafe!)  

---The Vista class ships plus the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are supposed to get a live band at the Ocean Bar, rollout beginning Feb 23 according to Cruise Hive.

---Rolling Stone will replace BB King's on the Vista class ships with R&B, rock, and pop, 6 nights/week.

---BB Kings will stay on the Signature and Pinnacle class ships.

---Billboard will be on all ships except the Volendam and Zandam.

---Step One and BBC Earth will continue.

Edited by jljcruise
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It sure doesn't sound like HAL is getting rid of the Lincoln Stage, but rather moving it to the Main Stage.

Holland America Line Makes Major Entertainment Changes (cruisehive.com)

"Holland America Line is elevating its partnership with Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and taking those shows to the main stage."

Sure sounds like you are correct.

• Like 1