We are cruising soon, should be book next cruise onboard?

PRINCESS Sweet Pea

There are no perks to booking on board other than being able to talk face-to-face with a knowledgeable person. Future cruise credits are worth doing if you plan to cruise again. For $100/person, you get the total $100 credit towards the next cruise plus additional on-board credit (OBC) up to $150 depending on the length of the cruise. The $100 Future Cruise Deposit (FCD, different from FCC) also counts as a complete deposit even when booking the cruise yourself asks for a larger deposit.    

What you may also be able to do is book the cruise with cash/credit then apply the FCC retroactively after your cruise. (Not entirely sure about this, but might be worth investigating)

Future cruise deposits are the way to go. The $100 covers  the deposit for a future cruise that you may book. They are good for two years and are refundable if not used. This gives you time to think things out.

"What you may also be able to do is book the cruise with cash/credit then apply the FCC retroactively after your cruise. (Not entirely sure about this, but might be worth investigating)"

Not sure what this means. You can not apply a Future Cruise Deposit retroactively. Believe you can use the $100 to apply against final payment, but there is no benefit and no OBC. 

24 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

FUTURE cruise deposit, not retro. Must be used at booking, not after you book.

I've actually been able to apply a FCD after booking a cruise.  I book through online third party TA's.  When I'm ready to book, I book now.  Paying the deposit online, then calling the TA to have my FCD applied.  

I do this every time I use an online TA, so it's not an anomaly.. 

But back to the original question.  Sometimes booking on the ship can get you additional onboard credit or another small perk (bottle of wine, strawberries, free wine tasting), but that's up to the representative onboard. 

As others have said...Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) is the way to go.  Trying to take the time to actually book while on a cruise just takes time away from your current cruise...unless you already know EXACTLY what you want and have all the details down pat.  I could never book this way...I suppose others do.  I prefer to take my time (on-line) and study all options and THEN book, using my FCDs.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:02 PM, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Can you all tell me if it helps with the fare or with perks to book while onboard?  I know this can apply to Future Cruise Credits,  but we don't want credits.  But we are thinking about another cruise.

I don't recall the exact figures, but I just booked a B2B cruise onboard, and I got OBC from my FCDs, some more OBC from the Best Ever Sale, and even more OBC from booking onboard.  And since I always book with a travel agent, the booking automatically got transferred to them and I'll get the perks from them I always get.

• Like 1

Some years back they were doubling the OBC for some cruises booked on board but I haven't seen that since.

Booking on board doesn't offer anything.

Booking at home gives me the opportunity to explore different ships at my leisure rather than being rushed to make an on spot decision.