New TVs on Zaandam- They’re here

Cruise NH

We’re currently on the Zaandam (Panama Canal cruise). We’re on deck 7 and they were lined up in front of the suites this morning for installation.  They say we should get ours tomorrow and the plan is to do the entire ship this cruise.  I guess we’ll see.

If we do indeed get ours I’ll try to post a picture.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, AryMay said:

Fingers are crossed they get ALL of the TV's installed...not just the suites.

We are on the Jan. 21 cruise and have one of the 2 ocean view cabins on Deck 7. 

Please keep us updated, OK?!

We are on the same cruise, also Deck 7!   In a Neptune Suite. 

4 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

They say we should get ours tomorrow and the plan is to do the entire ship this cruise.

Will your new TV be operational when installed tomorrow or is this just step one?

Supposedly everything (wiring, system) had been done prior to Summer, they just had problems getting TVs supplied, and then problems getting installed. So if installing 8 TVs a day, hopefully they have the contractor crew to get all decks done in time for everyone's next cruise. (Barring Murphy interference)🤞

Question here.  We will be on the ship March 4th.  We are in a window cabin on deck 3.  Are all the cabins getting a new TV?  Considering renting a fridge but wondering if it will be stocked as the fridges in the verandah cabins are.  Also, I think I read that there was only one electrical outlet in the area of the desk (assume fridge would go under there) so I am concerned about plugging in my laptop.

Thanks in advance for any information on these subjects.

I’m currently on deck 3 and haven’t seen a new tv yet, but I’m sure they’re working their way down to the lower levels. I’ve seen the techs wandering around in their SpecOps outfits - lol. I thought they were some serious security dudes until I read their shirts 🥷

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sherry H said:

Question here.  We will be on the ship March 4th.  We are in a window cabin on deck 3.  Are all the cabins getting a new TV?  Considering renting a fridge but wondering if it will be stocked as the fridges in the verandah cabins are.  Also, I think I read that there was only one electrical outlet in the area of the desk (assume fridge would go under there) so I am concerned about plugging in my laptop.

We were on a 16 day cruise on this ship and got off a few days ago. We were in a Ocean View cabin on deck 2 and the room stewards gave us a power strip so we could plug in the fan we got, computers, chargers etc. Worked perfectly. 

They’re working on deck 6 today (Sunday) skipping the rest of us on deck 7 😠 for now.  From what we could see they did all the Neptune suites here on 7 but skipped us vista suites.

We talked to one of the contractors, he said they just go where they tell them.  

The plan is to do all the staterooms this trip.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sherry H said:

I was on the 71-day Grand Africa.  One of my friends on deck three had a new tv installed.  It was on the same shelf as the old one and only an inch or so larger and was not interactive (at that time).

I rented a fridge ( although they lost my request and by the time they found it there was only one left which was more a freezer than fridge) and it came with a HAL approved extension cord which I plugged into the one plug at the desk.  I kept the extension cord on the top of the fridge and used it to plug in all my chargers.  The fridge sat between the bed and the desk.  Putting it under the desk allowed no space for my legs.

11 minutes ago, Sherry H said:

Still wondering if we rent a fridge it will be kept stocked?

The inside and outside cabins on the Zaandam always had some bottles of water, and a variety of cans of soda on the desk. I presume they still do. 

If you order a fridge, then you can stock it from what is already there. Or, you can request cans of exactly what you want.
I expect you can ask your steward to have the fridge stocked with bottles of whatever alcohol drinks you want in there, too. 

Funny thing is we cruise on many different lines and only HAL charges "rent" for a cabin fridge.  All our other cruise lines simply have them in every cabin.  Wondering if HAL will soon start charging rent for toilets, sinks, pillows, etc.  Perhaps they will also impose add-on charges for items in the MDR and Pinnacle!  Oops.  Guess that is already happening.  Wonder when they will impose a fee to use tenders, or perhaps one can buy tender priority!  Oops.  Guess they already charge for tender priority (Club Orange).  Will there soon be a fee for cabin electricity, water, etc?

Tis a slippery slope

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Funny thing is we cruise on many different lines and only HAL charges "rent" for a cabin fridge.  All our other cruise lines simply have them in every cabin.  Wondering if HAL will soon start charging rent for toilets, sinks, pillows, etc.  Perhaps they will also impose add-on charges for items in the MDR and Pinnacle!  Oops.  Guess that is already happening.  Wonder when they will impose a fee to use tenders, or perhaps one can buy tender priority!  Oops.  Guess they already charge for tender priority (Club Orange).  Will there soon be a fee for cabin electricity, water, etc?

Tis a slippery slope

We love Club Orange  .Iy is definitely worth the up charge imo 

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Tis a slippery slope

It’s only the older ships that don’t have fridges in the cabins.  I think charging rent is a capacity control device in this case.  The electrical system on the older ships probably doesn’t have the capacity to handle a refrigerator in every room.  So, they limit the number out there by charging rent for them. If I don’t feel the need for one, I don’t rent one (and then that’s one less device plugged in on the ship).  On the other hand, with what is probably a limited number to rent, when they’re out they’re  out.  You may be disappointed in that case, but since they don’t have one to offer, you’re not charged for the amenity either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Tis a slippery slope

From this post you seem to feel that this is a new change. It isn't. HAL has been charging for the mini fridges in the inside and outside cabins on the R & S class ships for over 20 years - hardly a new charge.

All other cabins, and all cabins on newer ships, have a mini fridge in each cabin.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

From this post you seem to feel that this is a new change. It isn't. HAL has been charging for the mini fridges in the inside and outside cabins on the R & S class ships for over 20 years - hardly a new charge.

All other cabins, and all cabins on newer ships, have a mini fridge in each cabin.

Do you know of other cruise lines that charge for cabin fridge's?

10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We love Club Orange  .Iy is definitely worth the up charge imo 

We would consider it if we ever cruise on a Pinnacle Class ship.  Makes little sense for us on the Vista Class since we already get most of the benefits because of our status.  Without a separate MDR (with an upgraded menu) we do not see the value.  The breakfast benefit has no value to us because we rarely go to a sit down breakfast.

Hank

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We would consider it if we ever cruise on a Pinnacle Class ship.  Makes little sense for us on the Vista Class since we already get most of the benefits because of our status.  Without a separate MDR (with an upgraded menu) we do not see the value.  The breakfast benefit has no value to us because we rarely go to a sit down breakfast.

Hank

That is what is great about Club Orange on Pinnacle class  ships of the HAL fleet   ,the upgraded restaurant , priority tenders ,priority check in  ,,a special  line for customer relations on board  & mostly the cabin upgrade ,We can book into a VH handicap & get a V category Handicap  cabin  , We book early when the cruises first come out to get that extra on board credit  . Yo us there is real value in club Orange but yes just on Pinnacle class ships