Windjammer on Harmony

overall it is pretty nice.  I find most of the ships have the same items.

Good salad bar, and the WJ you can look out at the ocean if sunsets are after 7pm.

Also quieter and easy to get in and out in under and hour if you have lots of places to go.

BUT, breakfast is the most hectic and so go early or late.

Lunch in WJ during sea days is really good.

Just now, tampadee said:

I wanted to find out if you still enjoy the Windjammer since the main dining room menus have changed.  

The WJ is not changing, and folks have been skipping the MDR and eating dinner in the WJ for years (regardless of the menu in the MDR).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

The WJ is not changing, and folks have been skipping the MDR and eating dinner in the WJ for years (regardless of the menu in the MDR).

That’s the problem. In the beginning when people didn’t realize the WJ had decent food for dinner or it wasn’t the cool thing to do, it was usually fairly empty. Now it can get very crowded.

• Like 3

In my opinion, the Windjammer on Oasis class boats is inferior to other classes, and this was definitely the case when I was on Harmony this past year. The Windjammer feels like it is about the same size as the smaller class boats, but the boat has many more people. As a result, the options are relatively basic compared to other ships. This is not to say that the food is bad, but it is just much more limited.

That said, there are so many other great options for meals on the Oasis class ships. My guess is that the Windjammer is relatively small because of this.

This may sound like a wise guy response.  But, it's not intended to be. 

It's a buffet!  It's what you make of it.  I know of people that absolutely love buffets and others that can't stand them.  My oldest daughter absolutely hates buffets.   She won't go to them, period.  Buffets are like summers, summer good, summer bad.  One may be great today and terrible tomorrow.  You may hate the buffet and and the person next to you may love it.  

What I'm trying to get to is:  Don't make any decisions about any restaurant, and things in general, based upon other's opinion of it/them.  Just go ahead and experience it for yourself.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drb116 said:

In my opinion, the Windjammer on Oasis class boats is inferior to other classes, and this was definitely the case when I was on Harmony this past year. The Windjammer feels like it is about the same size as the smaller class boats, but the boat has many more people. As a result, the options are relatively basic compared to other ships. This is not to say that the food is bad, but it is just much more limited.

That said, there are so many other great options for meals on the Oasis class ships. My guess is that the Windjammer is relatively small because of this.

It may also be an intentional design in an attempt to push more people to the upcharge dining options. 

We got off Harmony last Nov. We thought the Windjammer was pretty bad.

The salad bar was very small. We're used to a larger selection of salad add-ons. Cheese selection was limited to 2-3 each night, rarely rotated. Mostly Cheddar.

Very few fish offerings, usually tilapia. One night there was very very overcooked salmon. 

Soups were weird. One night was fish Broth and a pumpkin-cheese bisque. I didn't see any takers.

Most of the offerings were in some sort of gravy or stew. Lots of fish type stews and oxtail stews. 

There was always a carrot and cauliflower mix that was very good.

Our cruise obviously catered to kids as there were ALWAYS tacos, chicken fingers, fries, hot dogs & hamburgers.

We always found something but we've had better. Fruit was the standard cut-up fare and was good.

NOTE: if you like granola for breakfast it won't be in the dispensers. It's in a large bowl by the yogurt Bowls (not the prepared yogurt cups).

This was our impression. Others may have experienced a different cuisine.