Bringing snacks

17 hours ago, TeamCan said:

Thank you for the link. I guess I can't put the vitamins into a smaller vial for travel from my bulk calcium vitamin bottle as the bottle has to be commercially labelled and packaged. I usually combine the calcium and vitamin D in one smaller bottle for travel and it has never been a problem.  Just to be safe, I won't bring them this trip.

How long will you be away for? If it's only a couple of weeks, why not decant your large pill containers into smaller ones, rather than leaving them behind, and if they are confiscated, so be it. In my mind you're over thinking it. It is highly unlikely that your stash of commonly prescribed meds and over the counter meds will be inspected, if they ask what you're carrying, just tell them.

I take original containers but my travel companion decants his into smaller unlabelled pill vials. Neither of us has ever been questioned about what we have, let alone our pills inspected 😊

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jean C said:

How long will you be away for? If it's only a couple of weeks, why not decant your large pill containers into smaller ones, rather than leaving them behind, and if they are confiscated, so be it. In my mind you're over thinking it. It is highly unlikely that your stash of commonly prescribed meds and over the counter meds will be inspected, if they ask what you're carrying, just tell them.

I take original containers but my travel companion decants his into smaller unlabelled pill vials. Neither of us has ever been questioned about what we have, let alone our pills inspected 😊

I agree with those comments. We take vitamins and supplements in smaller containers. Prescription meds are in foil strips that have the brand name printed on. It is easy to keep these in the original boxes if we want to, but I don't usually bother.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with those comments. We take vitamins and supplements in smaller containers. Prescription meds are in foil strips that have the brand name printed on. It is easy to keep these in the original boxes if we want to, but I don't usually bother.

The "rules and regulations" are there as a precautionary measure so staff can quiz passengers who are suspected of bringing in party pills or drugs, they're not there to intentionally frustrate passengers carrying legitimate meds 🙂

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

The "rules and regulations" are there as a precautionary measure so staff can quiz passengers who are suspected of bringing in party pills or drugs, they're not there to intentionally frustrate passengers carrying legitimate meds 🙂

If they had to inspect the legitimate meds every passenger was carrying, there would be an enormous queues. 🙂

On 1/9/2023 at 4:58 PM, SilvertoGold said:

Could someone comment on how similar New Zealand is to Australia about bring in food, medications, etc.?

If anything, more strict.

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/travel-to-and-from-nz/travelling-to-nz/medicines/

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/bring-send-to-nz/bringing-and-posting-items-to-nz/check-if-you-can-bring-or-send-an-item-to-nz/

Edited by onlyslightlymad

On 1/9/2023 at 3:22 PM, MicCanberra said:

The declare lines are not always long, we have gone through relatively non stop in the past

Went through the declare line this morning. Had Indonesian coffee, small wooden box containing civet coffee (all factory sealed) and a carved wooden Komodo dragon. Took less than 30 seconds to get the all clear - go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1