Wifi by day onboard?

miguelmia

I'm new to Celebrity so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I know onboard Wifi can be pre-purchased before my cruise in 2 weeks for the duration of the trip, but is it possible to just buy it one day at a time while on the ship? My thought is to just use it on sea days and rely on my AT&T $10/day international pass while in port for data (except in St. Thomas where I believe my normal AT&T service will work fine) on the other days. I'm not planning on buying AT&T's $100 cruise add-on due to the paltry 200 MB data limit. Thanks!!

- Double check you don't already have included internet in your cruise fare as you may already get it if you booked the "All Included" fare

- You can purchases a 24 hour pass, last ship I was on wanted $50

- You can wait until mid sailing to purchase wifi and only pay the prorated amount however once you start it

Celebrity offers both an Hourly and a Daily Wifi package.   They both are continuous and not ad-hoc, so if you select an hourly package it ends 1 hours after you select it.

Prices in my mind are prohibitively high but are discounted per your CC internet discount amount

Prices:

Daily (24 hours non-stop)   $67.00

1 Hour Package                      34.00              

540A281F-B2DB-47FA-8F0C-7830278A6710.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

22 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

- Double check you don't already have included internet in your cruise fare as you may already get it if you booked the "All Included" fare

Yeah I opted out of that. Wouldn’t have used everything on there and I prefer a la carte in general, anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Celebrity offers both an Hourly and a Daily Wifi package.   They both are continuous and not ad-hoc, so if you select an hourly package it ends 1 hours after you select it.

Prices in my mind are prohibitively high but are discounted per your CC internet discount amount

Prices:

Without the picture I wouldn’t have believed you. Even with the picture I’m still in shock. Good lord. People actually pay that? It would be cheaper to pre-purchase the basic package for 7 days than just pay $67 x 3 sea days. 

1 hour ago, miguelmia said:

Yeah I opted out of that. Wouldn’t have used everything on there and I prefer a la carte in general, anyway. 

Without the picture I wouldn’t have believed you. Even with the picture I’m still in shock. Good lord. People actually pay that? It would be cheaper to pre-purchase the basic package for 7 days than just pay $67 x 3 sea days. 

That’s why people buy the package, it is less expensive than buying a few days.

3 hours ago, miguelmia said:

I'm new to Celebrity so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I know onboard Wifi can be pre-purchased before my cruise in 2 weeks for the duration of the trip, but is it possible to just buy it one day at a time while on the ship? My thought is to just use it on sea days and rely on my AT&T $10/day international pass while in port for data (except in St. Thomas where I believe my normal AT&T service will work fine) on the other days. I'm not planning on buying AT&T's $100 cruise add-on due to the paltry 200 MB data limit. Thanks!!

I didn't see the extortionate rates that @Jim_Iainposted on my last cruise on the Millie in November.  Rates for that cruise stayed at $25 for an hour and $50 for 24 hours.  The full cruise rate dropped for every day that went by.  I actually got a nice offer midway through.  YMMV.  Take a look:

IMG_20221108_194815_2.thumb.jpg.3610aa2dab7ba57739e861920f6be56b.jpg

7 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I didn't see the extortionate rates that @Jim_Iainposted on my last cruise on the Millie in November.  Rates for that cruise stayed at $25 for an hour and $50 for 24 hours.  The full cruise rate dropped for every day that went by.  I actually got a nice offer midway through.  YMMV.  Take a look:

Thanks. Honestly, for what X charges as a "cruise-only"  base fare wifi should be included. Even the "best" prices here are obscene. Even airlines charge much less on long flights (Jetblue and soon Delta are free, even) and by all accounts it's much better quality/speed than what cruise ships offer. Don't mean to soapbox; I knew the price/quality ratio would be awful going in but didn't think it would be this bad.

37 minutes ago, miguelmia said:

Honestly, for what X charges as a "cruise-only"  base fare wifi should be included. Even the "best" prices here are obscene. Even airlines charge much less on long flights (Jetblue and soon Delta are free, even) and by all accounts it's much better quality/speed than what cruise ships offer. Don't mean to soapbox; I knew the price/quality ratio would be awful going in but didn't think it would be this bad.

I don't disagree with you. The one consolation is that Starlink is coming to all Celebrity ships eventually - some already have it, with speeds far faster than I experienced.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Prices:

540A281F-B2DB-47FA-8F0C-7830278A6710.jpeg

Any idea if this is classic or premium.

11 hours ago, twonpcb said:

How fast is this connection?

About what you use to get on dial up.   If the basic more like the old 300-600 baud 

The new Starlink was running at about 4 to 5 times faster from me while on Solstice.  

Edited by Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thinking back about the  cruise I took that screen shot was a 15 day cruise.    The prices may vary according to up to x number of days and above certain number of days   eg 11 days or less and 12 days or more

My 12 night Greenland Cruise my discounted rate (Zenith) was 49.95 not sure what percentage.  Of course we already had free internet but it's still listed in our app as a choice.

Hmm -  Just checked my 8 day Cruise in December and shows the same - how long was your cruise. 

D6E0930A-7AA3-4019-B6F5-019DF25D393E.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thinking back about the  cruise I took that screen shot was a 15 day cruise.    The prices may vary according to up to x number of days and above certain number of days   eg 11 days or less and 12 days or more

My 12 night Greenland Cruise my discounted rate (Zenith) was 49.95 not sure what percentage.  Of course we already had free internet but it's still listed in our app as a choice.

Hmm -  Just checked my 8 day Cruise in December and shows the same - how long was your cruise. 

D6E0930A-7AA3-4019-B6F5-019DF25D393E.png

Thanks for sharing the extra details.  My cruise on the Millie was 7 days.