Missed departure

klumpp6

5 hours ago, MCC retired said:

Will the world end if a teacher missed a couple days of school?

How would that work?  Hopefully the school board doesn't spend tax dollars on sub's so teachers can go on cruises.  Hopefully the teacher won't lie about being sick to get some time off.   Maybe an unpaid leave could be requested, but previous posts would indicate that isn't commonly done.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

And if they don't show up , they generally have a substitute . Just how many jobs have that luxury. the world will not end.

Substitutes from my experience pretty much just baby sat. Missing days of school is not good for the teacher or students. Students should not take off either for a cruise. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, DW retired this year as an elementary art teacher with literally hundreds of days of sick leave unused. 

Make it high school, and I can say the same. 

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The only time she really used sick days was after an emergency surgery.

I used to take sick days when my kids were small, but I rarely-rarely ever took a day off for myself.  I had surgery once, and I put it off until the first day of summer.  My husband had a heart attack-like event, and I took him to the hospital in the middle of the night /stayed at the hospital all night and still went to school the next day ... on time at 6:45 am.  I gave exams while I had walking pneumonia ... two years in a row.

This is just what teachers do; those who don't ... well, they become one-year wonders.   

This is also one of the reasons we're working our way up to a real teaching shortage in this country.  

2 hours ago, MCC retired said:

And if they don't show up , they generally have a substitute . Just how many jobs have that luxury. the world will not end.

Eh, no.  The teacher plans what the sub will do, makes the copies, records parts of the lesson online, then "cleans up" afterward when it invariably isn't done /when the kids swear up and down that the sub told them they had a free day. 

Teachers don't have great work attendance JUST because they're professional -- they come to school every day because it's easier than staying home.  

Screenshot 2023-01-11 4.31.34 PM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury

44 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Substitutes from my experience pretty much just baby sat. Missing days of school is not good for the teacher or students. Students should not take off either for a cruise. 

Before she was hired as a teacher, DW did some subbing. She got regular work as one of the middle school art teachers was taking Friday's off to see her sick father in a nursing home. She was so glad to have a sub who was certified as an art teacher and could teach the subject matter and not leave the room a mess. And once she was known as reliable, she was near the top of the middle school list for calling subs.

Sometimes subs are just not allowed to do anything but babysit. For an example once DW was a sub for a shop class that was doing ceramics. Although ceramics was one of the things she knew (and in fact later always had an after school ceramics club for her students) as an art teacher, she was not allowed to do anything with the class because she was not certified in shop (industrial arts).

42 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

as an art teacher, she was not allowed to do anything with the class because she was not certified in shop (industrial arts).

For sure none would want someone doing anything in a shop class who was not certified. I took shop in high school. A lot of potential danger.

Back to original topic.  We did a Med cruise on Princess originating in Athens with a first stop in Santorini. We met a young Canadian couple whose flight from Montreal had been delayed so they missed our departure.  They caught a flight to Santorini and were able to board there.  It was a challenge with the flight, the shuttle to the port, the cable car down and the tender, but they managed to do it.  Not saying your cruise line will allow it but it has been done by others in the past.

4 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Back to original topic.  We did a Med cruise on Princess originating in Athens with a first stop in Santorini. We met a young Canadian couple whose flight from Montreal had been delayed so they missed our departure.  They caught a flight to Santorini and were able to board there.  It was a challenge with the flight, the shuttle to the port, the cable car down and the tender, but they managed to do it.  Not saying your cruise line will allow it but it has been done by others in the past.

Was that pre-covid or post-covid? Several cruise lines stopped allowing that. As has been mentioned they need to contact NCL for approval. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

For sure none would want someone doing anything in a shop class who was not certified. I took shop in high school. A lot of potential danger.

I agree, and for the sake of legal liability I totally understand why she could only babysit and not teach that class. But in reality, as a certified art teacher, she was quite capable of teaching ceramics.

7 hours ago, MCC retired said:

No -- they do not "have" a substitute, the school district has to hire a substitute.   Most jobs, certainly in the US, provide the luxury of paid sick days to staff - but they are called "sick" days -- not "get an early start on my cruise" days.

You must have been an ideal employee.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No -- they do not "have" a substitute, the school district has to hire a substitute.   Most jobs, certainly in the US, provide the luxury of paid sick days to staff - but they are called "sick" days -- not "get an early start on my cruise" days.

You must have been an ideal employee.

Some schools have a "permanent substitute" who comes in every day (at least my DW's school did the last few years) as well as having to call in substitutes on as needed basis.