Internet questions.

mj_holiday

We don't need much internet, but check email once a day for concerns at home.

How hard is it (usually) to use a computer at In Touch?  It seems that speed/access would be better here.

Onboard Internet access is available 24 hours a day at In Touch (Deck 10), from the day of departure until 6:00 AM on debarkation day. WiFi (Wireless Internet access) is also available throughout the ship. To take advantage of WiFi service, bring your own laptop, which must be equipped with a wireless network card. If using an Apple® computer, the Safari® browser must be Version 3.0 or higher to ensure compatibility with the onboard wireless network.

8 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

We don't need much internet, but check email once a day for concerns at home.

How hard is it (usually) to use a computer at In Touch?  It seems that speed/access would be better here.

Onboard Internet access is available 24 hours a day at In Touch (Deck 10), from the day of departure until 6:00 AM on debarkation day. WiFi (Wireless Internet access) is also available throughout the ship. To take advantage of WiFi service, bring your own laptop, which must be equipped with a wireless network card. If using an Apple® computer, the Safari® browser must be Version 3.0 or higher to ensure compatibility with the onboard wireless network.

I am not sure that this is faster. If you use a laptop, the connection will be via WiFi, so I don't see an automatic benefit. The signal strength may be better, but not necessarily the speed.

Nevertheless, in the location you identified, there are a few screens with keyboards for internet access via your login/password for the cruise (using your allocated minutes). I think these are hardwired (but I am not sure) and may offer faster speeds.

The computers in In Touch are absolutely awful, several run on Windows 7 and they do not support many of the features of current websites.  They are very slow to log on and log off - in the past I have used them just to print boarding passes but it has been so painful.  There is absolutely no benefit in using them and I consider there are many disadvantages!  

52 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

It was just horrible last summer. Hopefully it will be better now with the new service 

It's actually quite satisfactory where Starlink has coverage.  Where Starlink has no coverage, there is no internet at all.  I believe Tony said Colon was an area not covered.  There was a full day and also half a day on the Christmas cruise where there was no internet.

23 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

It's actually quite satisfactory where Starlink has coverage.  Where Starlink has no coverage, there is no internet at all.  I believe Tony said Colon was an area not covered.  There was a full day and also half a day on the Christmas cruise where there was no internet.

Hmmm. How do you think it will be at sea?

36 minutes ago, uktog said:

The computers in In Touch are absolutely awful, several run on Windows 7 and they do not support many of the features of current websites.  They are very slow to log on and log off - in the past I have used them just to print boarding passes but it has been so painful.  There is absolutely no benefit in using them and I consider there are many disadvantages!  

Is this the case on all 4 ships?

1 hour ago, uktog said:

That was my experience too. Absolutely useless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Hmmm. How do you think it will be at sea?

Actually on the recent TA, on Pursuit the wi-Fi was great at sea.  It was in ports that TV and internet failed.  At least in port, you can acess via telephone provider, but TV channels were very curtailed.

Lisa

2 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I needed to log on to my job site to submit my timesheet, which I couldn’t do on my phone. It should have taken about five minutes. It took about forty-five.

That was around my experience. So so difficult to get their machines online 

On 1/11/2023 at 1:25 PM, rvmckim said:

Which cruise lines generally have the best wifi?

I was just on a Celebrity cruise and with Starlink it was amazingly Fast.

Do Azamara ships have Starlink?

We are sailing on Quest in April for our First Azamara cruise.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, D. B. said:

I was just on a Celebrity cruise and with Starlink it was amazingly Fast.

Do Azamara ships have Starlink?

We are sailing on Quest in April for our First Azamara cruise.

At the moment, Onward has Starlink. It was wonderful, except near Colon in Panama where there was no Starlink coverage. I don’t know when it might roll out to other ships. 

18 hours ago, Wondermouse said:

We are on onward at present. This wifi is the best we have had on any cruise line. 

Please remember that "wifi" is not the same as "internet connectivity".  You have have awesome wifi connectivity, yet have little to no internet connectivity.  Wifi is within the ship - it is the satellite connection that determines how you reach and use the internet.

26 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Please remember that "wifi" is not the same as "internet connectivity".  You have have awesome wifi connectivity, yet have little to no internet connectivity.  Wifi is within the ship - it is the satellite connection that determines how you reach and use the internet.

Except in the Colon area that Starlink has not covered, Starlink connectivity was excellent.  Colon doesn't have traffic lights, either.