Guaranteed balcony above smoking

Hi has anyone managed to get this changed? Have been given guaranteed balcony on Odyssey and it’s right above the smoking area. I have health issues that could be exacerbated by second hand smoke. 
have not rang them yet, just wondered any tips. 

5 minutes ago, Crumley1894 said:

Have just rang. Nope won’t move us only upgrade to pick our own at the cost of £2156! On top of what we’ve already paid

I tried to move and nothing left same category and they want current price to upgrade.

Yours may be different in the uk too. 

37 minutes ago, PamelaHunt said:

I know this does not help your current situation, but this is exactly the reason why we always pick the cabin we want.  I refuse to be anywhere near a smoking area.

BING BING BING!  We have a winner. 

It only took 6 additional posts to blame the OP for booking a guaranty.

• Haha 1

Your luck may not be any better choosing another balcony. Many reports of people ignoring the rules and smoking on their balconies. I don’t normally book balconies, but had an aft with family, on the Navigator last week. Could smell cigarette smoke. And if you’re really lucky, you might get somebody smoking something stronger. 😉

But probably a lot better than being above smoking area.

28 minutes ago, shellunderwater said:

Rather than “blame” I’d rather call this awareness.  There are real pitfalls to booking gty cabins.  Before booking a gty, one should consider the possible bad cabin assignments.  If there are possible cabin assignment that would make you sorry you booked, then you are making a gamble by booking gty….maybe you should not do it.  We are flexible people and have booked multiple gty over the years; sometimes we have indeed been assigned those worst possible cabins without option of trade.  We still enjoyed our cruise.  Crumley may not be able to use his balcony (unless there is a fresh breeze blowing the smoke away🤞) but they will still have the natural light in the cabin.

• Like 3

Call back a few times, different rep different answer. Do not mention the word guaranty, know what cabin in the same category is available and just ask to move from your cabin number to a new cabin number.  Different rules on your side of the pond but rules are made to be broken.  good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Call back a few times, different rep different answer. Do not mention the word guaranty, know what cabin in the same category is available and just ask to move from your cabin number to a new cabin number.  Different rules on your side of the pond but rules are made to be broken.  good luck.

Well, UK posters have not shared success stories here on CruiseCritic, so the odds seem low.  Were it me, I would not waste my time and energy.  If Crumley has a travel agent, I’d more strongly advise against doing it; don’t damage the relationship with repetitive calls when you might need that TA for something important later.  

8 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

But isn't it accurate that if you want, or don't want, a specific location, you shouldn't do a guarantee? I, for instance, chose never to do a balcony guarantee on a Quantum class ship because of the obstructed views.

22 hours ago, PamelaHunt said:

I know this does not help your current situation, but this is exactly the reason why we always pick the cabin we want.  I refuse to be anywhere near a smoking area.

Well, this is helpful for me.  I had been initially thinking one interior gty for price.   But then I decided on two interior connecting, which automatically meant I had to pay a bit more to choose the rooms.   But if the one 4-person room wasn't so expensive I probably would have gone with one gty interior.   Like the OP I am very sensitive to smoke.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Well, this is helpful for me.  I had been initially thinking one interior gty for price.   But then I decided on two interior connecting, which automatically meant I had to pay a bit more to choose the rooms.   But if the one 4-person room wasn't so expensive I probably would have gone with one gty interior.   Like the OP I am very sensitive to smoke.   

Surely an interior won’t be impacted by smoke?

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

30 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

Surely an interior won’t be impacted by smoke?

The logic is relevant if they decide to place a RoyalUp bid.

For example, if they book an inside quad on a future cruise and bid for a balcony, they could get be placed near the smoking area.  Texan can think about it before bidding.  They might decide to look at the locations of specific categories on specific ships (say an ultraspacious) and decided if all are in acceptable locations before bidding.  

Different people, different priorities.  

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

The logic is relevant if they decide to place a RoyalUp bid.

For example, if they book an inside quad on a future cruise and bid for a balcony, they could get be placed near the smoking area.  Texan can think about it before bidding.  They might decide to look at the locations of specific categories on specific ships (say an ultraspacious) and decided if all are in acceptable locations before bidding.  

Different people, different priorities.  

RoyalUp had been on my mind originally.  Not that I was going to count on getting something like that.   Plus there was that advice floating out there (maybe outdated) that if you book gty you might get an upgrade.  Now I've fallen in love with our two promenade view rooms.  Voyager 7291 and 7293 with rooms above/below/left/right  I'd say No to an offer of a free upgrade from our two connecting to even say one Junior Suite.  

12 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

RoyalUp had been on my mind originally.  Not that I was going to count on getting something like that.   Plus there was that advice floating out there (maybe outdated) that if you book gty you might get an upgrade.  Now I've fallen in love with our two promenade view rooms.  Voyager 7291 and 7293 with rooms above/below/left/right  I'd say No to an offer of a free upgrade from our two connecting to even say one Junior Suite.  

Personally I rather like the promenade rooms.  If you have not sailed in them before, do try them.  I doubt they will offer to combine you into one cabin this time.  If you continue to sail as a party of four you will have different pricing decisions in the future.  I have found the bits of knowledge one accumulates over time from reading threads like this add up; it may be useful some day.

Personal preference, but I try for Promenade cabins on deck six over a retail space.  If I cannot get a quiet spot on six, I go for deck seven.  I think deck six has slightly better people watching and I like jogging down only one flight of stairs to the Promenade.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 1