Missing cruise embarkation

ann1bell

Hello! We board the NS on 1/14/23 and fly to FLL on 1/13. Flights are so crazy right now. If we miss the embarkation because of flight issues, is there a problem joining the ship in Nassau, the first stop? We have our passports. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, ann1bell said:

Hello! We board the NS on 1/14/23 and fly to FLL on 1/13. Flights are so crazy right now. If we miss the embarkation because of flight issues, is there a problem joining the ship in Nassau, the first stop? We have our passports. Thanks.

No knowing what cruise you're taking the best answer is maybe yes, maybe no.  My best GUESS - probably won't be able to do it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ann1bell said:

We are in the same boat....literally as you.  Flying on 1.13 for cruise on 1.14 on Nieuw Statendam.   Hope we all make it!    Suzanne and Steven

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good luck, but I doubt that you'll be able to board in Nassau (but I don't know your itinerary).  If the original cruise is a closed loop, boarding in another port will be a violation of the PVSA.

I don't think so. They would be boarding in a foreign port and disembarking in a US port. That happens regularly...think Vancouver to Alaska.

The violation would be if you went from a US port to another US, without a stop in a "distant foreign port".

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I don't think so. They would be boarding in a foreign port and disembarking in a US port. That happens regularly...think Vancouver to Alaska.

The violation would be if you went from a US port to another US, without a stop in a "distant foreign port".

Yes, you are right, I am wrong.  It would not be a violation of the PVSA.  

But, other problems could result.  I hope  @chengkp75 can chime in.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Yes, you are right, I am wrong.  It would not be a violation of the PVSA.  

But, other problems could result.  I hope  @chengkp75 can chime in.

Correct.  But, by boarding in a non-US port, it changes the type of cruise (for everyone) from a closed-loop one to a foreign one.  The clearance procedures for a foreign cruise vs a closed loop one are different, and more involved.  Cruise lines have opted in the past to no incur those changes and denied boarding down line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ann1bell said:

I hope you make the cruise without any problems but I suggest that you get out the your insurance and see what you would need in order to file a claim.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Correct.  But, by boarding in a non-US port, it changes the type of cruise (for everyone) from a closed-loop one to a foreign one.  The clearance procedures for a foreign cruise vs a closed loop one are different, and more involved.  Cruise lines have opted in the past to no incur those changes and denied boarding down line.

It is usually not a problem with the cruise lines allowing people to board in a foreign port when they have missed embarkation from a US port as long as they can get clearance from both that country and US immigration. Have not heard of any cases where it has been denied when the cause was something outside of the passengers control.

Princess has even allowed passengers to violate PVSA and board in Hawaii lately when they missed departure on Hawaiian cruises due to weather or flight issues.

Cruise lines have been far more restrictive when it comes to allowing passengers to voluntarily board later or to disembark at an earlier port.

If they do miss they need to coordinate with the cruise line. Biggest issue is what happens if the ship misses that next port from one reason or another.

What time does your flight leave from wherever you are flying out of, and getting into FLL on the 13th?  If you are leaving early enough on your flight out, you should have no problem.  Should an earlier flight be canceled, you could look for an alternative flight...even if you and you party need to split up on different flights.  At least you have planned to fly out a day ahead.

• Like 2

We called HAL about boarding in Nassau. They say anyone with HAL air will be able to board in Nassau. We are flying independently. The agent put me on hold and came back to say we could board in Nassau. She gave me the special services phone number to call if we need assistance.  The problem is that I do not really trust what I am told on the phone. 

My flight leaves at 12:35 pm and arrives in FLL at 6:15 pm. There are a couple of later flights that would work for us if there are seats. 

I just hope everything goes on schedule. 

Thanks for all your replies. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ann1bell said:

We called HAL about boarding in Nassau. They say anyone with HAL air will be able to board in Nassau. We are flying independently. The agent put me on hold and came back to say we could board in Nassau. She gave me the special services phone number to call if we need assistance.  The problem is that I do not really trust what I am told on the phone. 

A smart decision.  It's always best to ask for such decisions in writing.  An email would work.  Maybe try calling that special services number and asking them for confirmation of what you've been told.

• Like 1

It happened to us once.  We got stuck in fog in Atlanta in a connecting flight that never connected.  Got no help from Celebrity.  We got to the port just when they were slamming the doors shut.  2 hours ahead of sailing.  We got stuck and caught a flight to Grand Cayman 2 days later. Insurance covered the lost days but the cruise was unfortunately shortened for us.  We were still working then, and time off was a luxury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Great!  Thanks for the update.  Hopefully you are safely tucked into bed by now. 😉

Would love to know what you think of the ship.  We will be on her in May.

I second that request.  We have never sailed on that class ship, and I am interested in a 2024 Adriatic cruise on the NS.