2 questions about drinks on board

YensidCA

OK here are my questions. 

1. When drinking things like Bourbon / Whiskey are they able to serve it with a sphere / single 2"x2" cube. 
  2. If #1 is a no will they serve it over my own Whiskey Stones?

Please do not judge but I don't like watery drinks. 

1, honestly do not know .  Best chance of that would be at the World Class Bar though.  for #2 I certainly would think so but if worse comes to worse, ask for it neat and a "second glass".  Add your whiskey stones and transfer your drink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jwlane said:

Exactly.  How?

Well I like to freeze my whiskey stones.  I don’t bother to pack them for cruises for obvious reasons.  If the OP likes his whiskey stones frozen he might have to research it?  That was a pretty quick question  Do you use whisky stones?

As a retired chemist I have to ask how much salt will you need and where is it coming from?  Chemically that’s a good idea.  Logisitics could be more of a challenge.  Pick some up at port?  How much?  Good luck I hope you can pull it off.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

how much salt will you need

Yeah, I forgot how much salt you need... In my mind, I was thinking of a teaspoon, but in reality, it's more like a 1/2 cup. 

I will probably just put them in the ice bucket for the day and hope they get cold enough (which they should).

At the end of the night, I will put them in the fridge so that they stay "cool"

34 minutes ago, YensidCA said:

Yeah, I forgot how much salt you need... In my mind, I was thinking of a teaspoon, but in reality, it's more like a 1/2 cup. 

I will probably just put them in the ice bucket for the day and hope they get cold enough (which they should).

At the end of the night, I will put them in the fridge so that they stay "cool"

I would say 1/2 cup would be a good start in a large ice bucket.  I am thinking since you do  not have a thermometer to check temperature just add a cup of salt.  If that gets to your desired temperature then good for you.  I am not sure if you know this or not but add salt slowly while stirring.  Resist the temptation to use your hand.  Once the temperature drops below freezing your hand will be very cold in a short period of time.  I know this from personal experience!🤓

Edited by fenton04
Grammer

1 hour ago, YensidCA said:

I see salt shakers from Ocean View Cafe somehow showing up in your cabin.  🙂

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Married90 said:

I see salt shakers from Ocean View Cafe somehow showing up in your cabin.  🙂

That salt used to make ice cream is not suitable for a ice bath.  Something on the line of a finer salt.  I bet TABLE SALT would do in a pinch.

@YensidCA one approach to using your own stones would be first night find a bar where you most likely be throwing back and let the bartender know that the following day you will be bringing your own stones...

That way they know and will not be perplexed by what is going on...

Pending on the ship, there is at least one bar that specializes in scotch and bourbon and those bartenders will understand and accommodate fully...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, YensidCA said:

1. When drinking things like Bourbon / Whiskey are they able to serve it with a sphere / single 2"x2" cube. 
  2. If #1 is a no will they serve it over my own Whiskey Stones?

Please do not judge but I don't like watery drinks. 

I have only found the cubes at the World Class Bar. 

I asked the bartender in the Retreat Lounge if he had them and he said no but if I wanted he would get some for me.  

I am sure if you bring your own whiskey stones they will let you use them, other wise order neat and add the stones yourself. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YensidCA said:

We have been given large cubes in the Eden bar in certain cocktails.  I believe they were the big square. cubes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moochi said:

Are they clear?

No.   They use to make them with an ice press and they were clear.  I am sure It was too slow for the quantity needed.     They now make them in a mold and they aren’t any different than if you make them at home.  We use a sphere mold for ice in  our Old Fashion

I also bought an ice maker that makes small clear cubes.   No one notices that they are clear and it doesn’t add anything that cloudy ones do.   They are mostly used for presentation in high class bars serving premium drinks.  Celebrity is constantly on the down hill of being a ‘class’ line and that was another thing they eliminated a few years ago.  

There are cubes in the WCB and Eden.  

Even if you took your own whisky stones how would you chill or freeze them?   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅