No more prime rib?

kevin1551

14 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Please explain to the Princess folks that Celebrity has moved on to Reduced Luxury where prime rib, beef wellington and filets have been eliminated and extra lobster tails cost extra.  I'll be interested to see what they prefer.

I think that when I am on my next Celebrity sailing that I will ask to order from the Princess menu 🙂

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that when I am on my next Celebrity sailing that I will ask to order from the Princess menu 🙂

Unfortunately their policy now is that those dining room kitchens are too far apart so they can no longer honor those requests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 1/18/2023 at 3:04 PM, kirtihk said:

Interesting.  Including hard liquor? Unlimited number of bottles? No corkage fees?

Yes, including liquor.  No corkage fee with wine.  You really could get by without a drink package but then again the package isn't not that much.  (In the past  you could do that with RCCL, I carried on a case of beer years ago on RCCL.  Years ago I also carried on a case of beer on the plane to Grand Cayman, land based vacation.  At prices there that beer was worth it's weight in gold. )

6 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Yes, including liquor.  No corkage fee with wine.  You really could get by without a drink package but then again the package isn't not that much.  (In the past  you could do that with RCCL, I carried on a case of beer years ago on RCCL.  Years ago I also carried on a case of beer on the plane to Grand Cayman, land based vacation.  At prices there that beer was worth it's weight in gold. )

OMG 139 for 7 nights?  X charges 130 for one night.

At prices like this I would get the package just for convenience.

Edited by NMTraveller

10 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Please explain to the Princess folks that Celebrity has moved on to Reduced Luxury where prime rib, beef wellington and filets have been eliminated and extra lobster tails cost extra.  I'll be interested to see what they prefer.

Your comment pretty much sums up my feelings at the moment. We chose Celebrity over Royal as our go to cruise line several years ago. Looking at Royal boards concerning changes, I think we are headed back to the Royal way of cruising

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yknot13 said:

Your comment pretty much sums up my feelings at the moment. We chose Celebrity over Royal as our go to cruise line several years ago. Looking at Royal boards concerning changes, I think we are headed back to the Royal way of cruising

Same here.

Princess NOW has better menus than X as does Royal and almost everyone else.  The Princess menus look good for my tastes.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

We just today got off the edge, no prime rib, no steaks other than the everyday sirloin. Lots of pork, very limited fish, lots of short ribs that tasted like chuck roast, and some lamb. Really not like cruising of old (2022 and before) service is lacking, really a disappointment. Did I enjoy my cruise? Of course because I just like cruising. No excellent grades for Celebrity anymore from me though.

drinks were hit and miss, no two were ever made the same, I don’t know how to explain it other the just saying it’s nothing to rave about anymore. Makes me sad.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gizmodog said:

We just today got off the edge, no prime rib, no steaks other than the everyday sirloin. Lots of pork, very limited fish, lots of short ribs that tasted like chuck roast, and some lamb. Really not like cruising of old (2022 and before) service is lacking, really a disappointment. Did I enjoy my cruise? Of course because I just like cruising. No excellent grades for Celebrity anymore from me though.

drinks were hit and miss, no two were ever made the same, I don’t know how to explain it other the just saying it’s nothing to rave about anymore. Makes me sad.

I agree. Just off two weeks onboard Apex. MDR menus were completely decimated. If not for the kids filet would not have known what to get. Seems like Celebrity is in bankruptcy !!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

I agree. Just off two weeks onboard Apex. MDR menus were completely decimated. If not for the kids filet would not have known what to get. Seems like Celebrity is in bankruptcy !!!

Hope your family is well. Any sign of bankruptcy can have a negative effect on future bookings. I’ve lost money in the Crystal bankruptcy and will not book future cruises if my money is at risk. Rumors may become self fulfilling prophecies.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 3:04 PM, kirtihk said:

Interesting.  Including hard liquor? Unlimited number of bottles? No corkage fees?

On my first Princess cruise we were allowed to bring unlimited wine, and brought the better part of a case. This was back in 2001, though.

45 minutes ago, Orator said:

Hope your family is well. Any sign of bankruptcy can have a negative effect on future bookings. I’ve lost money in the Crystal bankruptcy and will not book future cruises if my money is at risk. Rumors may become self fulfilling prophecies.

One more reason to not put down a sizeable non-refundable deposit, I suppose. Willing to take the chance on Princess with a refundable $100pp, but X has to show me their sorry for this current mess before they get anything.  

Not that prime rib is the end of the world, and I'm sure X is getting a pretty good volume discount on the amount of beef they (used to?) buy.  Per person cost can't be that high to put 8 oz of prime rib in front of those guest who order it.  So if that's the sword they're going to fall on, things have to be pretty friggin dismal.... or, and possibly more likely.... Lisa's next big bonus check is based on some nonsensical short-term financial goal that she's intent on meeting, customers be damned. 

Edited by D C
  • Like 2

This has to be the most negative thread I have read on CC since joining in 2007.  Orator, met you on a number of cruises, sorry you have become so bitter, it makes me sad.  Katie

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, D C said:

One more reason to not put down a sizeable non-refundable deposit, I suppose. Willing to take the chance on Princess with a refundable $100pp, but X has to show me their sorry for this current mess before they get anything.  

Not that prime rib is the end of the world, and I'm sure X is getting a pretty good volume discount on the amount of beef they (used to?) buy.  Per person cost can't be that high to put 8 oz of prime rib in front of those guest who order it.  So if that's the sword they're going to fall on, things have to be pretty friggin dismal.... or, and possibly more likely.... Lisa's next big bonus check is based on some nonsensical short-term financial goal that she's intent on meeting, customers be damned. 

What I can't understand are the reports of the menus changing.  Upon boarding the menus show prime rib one day - several days later the menus change and prime rib moves to a later day - several more days and prime rib is gone altogether.  I mean when they provisioned the ship before departure they know if they have received prime rib or not - or if they even ordered it.  How can they continue to show it on the menus and even change it from one day to another if they don't even have it on board?  Surely the chef has the meals planned out well in advance.  It just looks like Celebrity is playing games with its passengers.  That's really sad, but I can't think of another explanation.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mnocket said:

What I can't understand are the reports of the menus changing.  Upon boarding the menus show prime rib one day - several days later the menus change and prime rib moves to a later day - several more days and prime rib is gone altogether.  I mean when they provisioned the ship before departure they know if they have received prime rib or not - or if they even ordered it.  How can they continue to show it on the menus and even change it from one day to another if they don't even have it on board?  Surely the chef has the meals planned out well in advance.  It just looks like Celebrity is playing games with its passengers.  That's really sad, but I can't think of another explanation.

This is what drives me mad and why I think conversations on the upcharges and menu changes keep multiplying- X is becoming their own worst enemy by either not communicating, or communicating inaccurate/conflicting information and making everyone do the legwork to get to the bottom of it.

Wouldn't it save their support staff a lot of grief by simply defaulting the app menus to say something along the lines of "Check back soon!" until the menu is finalized? I think this would also go a long way towards bringing expectations in line with final result. 

12 minutes ago, kguerriero said:

Wouldn't it save their support staff a lot of grief by simply defaulting the app menus to say something along the lines of "Check back soon!" until the menu is finalized?

It would, but my point is that they know before the ship even leave the dock whether or not they ordered or received prime rib.  The chef plans the menus well in advance.  There is no excuse for posting menus that include prime rib entrees days into the cruise when the chef knows there is no prime rib onboard.  It's hard to understand, but it almost seems deliberate.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mnocket said:

It would, but my point is that they know before the ship even leave the dock whether or not they ordered or received prime rib.  The chef plans the menus well in advance.  There is no excuse for posting menus that include prime rib entrees days into the cruise when the chef knows there is no prime rib onboard.  It's hard to understand, but it almost seems deliberate.

If I had to guess, there's no malicious intent, X is just reusing details from a former cruise, including placeholder menus from that sailing, and are dragging their feet on updating until the ball (err...ship) is already rolling. Either from poor planning, understaffing, or some unknown matter.

To your point, not really acceptable, as it's reasonable to conclude people are planning out their days and meals once onboard, and probably even well in advance. Dangling better quality cuts and replacing with cheaper meat is always going to rub someone the wrong way, and preventing this info from ever reaching customers seems like a no-brainer and zero dollar fix to improve guest experience. 

No info is better than wrong info.

On 1/15/2023 at 9:18 AM, cgolf1 said:

Maybe I have had bad prime ribs over the years, but the have all been pretty flavorless, especially the ones on Disney cruises to the point I no longer try them. Going to a supper club around home, a ribeye with just a little salt is amazing. 

We grew up w/ Supper Clubs in the Midwest & love to dine there when we are back home.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

This sounds like a question that should be asked during an Ask the Captain session.  Doesn’t the Captain normally have a couple of the Senior Staff to help answer the questions?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Orator said:

Does anyone research the stock(RCL) of this company???...up about 90% since mid June LY. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

This sounds like a question that should be asked during an Ask the Captain session.  Doesn’t the Captain normally have a couple of the Senior Staff to help answer the questions?

Doesn't Captain Kate have Instagram and tiktok videos?  Maybe a few posts on her social media or questions at her Ask the Captain event from Beyond customers may get answers considering she is Celebritys Poster Person.  I really would be curious to hear her take on it if she has one.  That would be in my mind much more informative then Bug's routine.  I wonder if this has been done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kguerriero said:

No info is better than wrong info.

Perfect !!

What I would suggest Celebrity do:

Stop listing daily menus in advance--- period.

Look what a few changes created on CC--- many angry, unhappy customers --- 

Yes, the food is a very important part of the ( I didn't say " my " for being challenged-- again ) cruise " experience. But, will " anyone " not book a cruise because there is no XX on the menu?

LOL---- We never had a ---oops, forget it.

• Like 1

I bought the dining package (5 dinners) for the Beyond on Oct 26th.   When I boarded and tried to make reservations I was told 2 specialty restaurants had availability.   When I told them to cancel the package they told me they would try to find space in the restaurants (they did finally).   Why sell the packages if you can’t use them?

• Like 1