Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

On 1/14/2023 at 4:16 PM, negn said:

We went on CP  and shorts were allowed.  3 months later they were not.   Guess it depends on whether Maitre D enforces the dress code.  Doesn’t take much to throw a pair of long pants in your luggage

Agreed. I mean how heavy is a pair of Khakis?

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 4:16 PM, MissP22 said:

Just out of curiosity, which cruise lines other than Cunard still enforce a strict dress code?  

Regent is pretty strict as is Silversea. Not to the point of Cunard, but a lot more than say..Carnival. Each line has it's schtick..Cunard(formal dress & oceanliner details) Oceania(great food & Country Club casual)Princess(pretty much everything) etc all down the line.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:17 AM, MissP22 said:

My guess is that it's a convenient place to leave it otherwise where would they store it? Either on the table, on the floor or sit on it. 

I always thought "keeps the woodpeckers off my head" would be a good retort.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:26 PM, MissP22 said:

After all these years I'm still looking for all those extreme under dressers that posters keep talking about, and have still yet to see one. 

The worst I've seen are people in casual clothing on formal nights and those dreaded shorts on casual evenings. 

Worst I ever saw was a guy in a dripping wet bathing suit walking through the Queens Grill on Formal night.It was a French pax being a jerk. I noticed the French for some reason used to love causing problems on the Grills terrace for some reason. We had a nice lunch at Todd English on the QM2 in 2009. We were seated outside & these (again) French pax came from the pool area & would walk through the "Velvet Rope" line into where we were dining & would  literally wipe against us & other diners. My spouse, Keith let it happen twice. On the third pass, he pushed them right into the tables away from the diners. They crashed into & knocked over several tables.Security was called & these guys, we think were put off the ship. They were a group of at least 10. Whenever we saw them they were always causing a disturbance. After that lunch we never saw them again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Of course it is. 

The restaurant manager may not feel it’s a suggestion. If a passenger wants to eat in the MDR they should be aware that they may be turned away if they choose to wear shorts. It is not fair to tell people that the the dress code won’t enforced unless you are going to be the person at the entrance making the decision. 

Edited by Torfamm
Typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, rbtan said:

Regent is pretty strict as is Silversea. Not to the point of Cunard, but a lot more than say..Carnival. Each line has it's schtick..Cunard(formal dress & oceanliner details) Oceania(great food & Country Club casual)Princess(pretty much everything) etc all down the line.

Good to know although we don't intend to sail on those cruise lines. 

7 hours ago, rbtan said:

Worst I ever saw was a guy in a dripping wet bathing suit walking through the Queens Grill on Formal night.It was a French pax being a jerk. I noticed the French for some reason used to love causing problems on the Grills terrace for some reason. We had a nice lunch at Todd English on the QM2 in 2009. We were seated outside & these (again) French pax came from the pool area & would walk through the "Velvet Rope" line into where we were dining & would  literally wipe against us & other diners. My spouse, Keith let it happen twice. On the third pass, he pushed them right into the tables away from the diners. They crashed into & knocked over several tables.Security was called & these guys, we think were put off the ship. They were a group of at least 10. Whenever we saw them they were always causing a disturbance. After that lunch we never saw them again.

Many years back (at lunch time) Princess was allowing people to eat in the DR dressed in bathing suits provided they had a cover up.

The only stipulation was that they check in their towels at the door before being seated. 😄

Informative to observe that the Fifth Column Casualisationists who claim that they never notice what other people are wearing are the same people who also claim that ' they always see people wearing shorts/t-shirts/caps etc in the MDR' and 'they have never seen barefoot/ pajamas/ etc in the MDR'

Edited by Broadside

Cruise line staff, for the most part, are reluctant to enforce dress codes for fear of receiving low by ratings on their cruise by evaluation surveys.  If the absence of enforcement, mob rule takes over and people flaunt their lack of manners and upbringing.  When a guy in a wife beater, shorts, and a ballcap on backwards passes muster for smart casual, well, as the saying goes, clothes make the man and if it looks like a slob and acts like a slob, chances are it's a slob.

A sport coat and a pair of slacks isn't going to put anyone over the baggage limit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Torfamm said:

The restaurant manager may not feel it’s a suggestion. If a passenger wants to eat in the MDR they should be aware that they may be turned away if they choose to wear shorts. It is not fair to tell people that the the dress code won’t enforced unless you are going to be the person at the entrance making the decision. 

This is like saying you might get a parking or speeding ticket so you should not get in a car.  We just have not seen people turned away in hundreds and hundreds of days cruise on Princess for not strictly following the dress code ideas.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

A sport coat and a pair of slacks isn't going to put anyone over the baggage limit.

I think you're making the assumption that weight is the reason why many guys no longer care to wear a jacket in the DR.

I believe it's more the fact that for years past is was considered mandatory but in todays world, it's now a choice left up to the individual- many choosing comfort over looks. 

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

This is like saying you might get a parking or speeding ticket so you should not get in a car.  We just have not seen people turned away in hundreds and hundreds of days cruise on Princess for not strictly following the dress code ideas.

Just read back though this thread and see that a number of posters here have seen people turned away for trying to wear shorts in the dining room.

If eating in the MDR is important to the original poster’s brother-in-law , the best thing to do is pack a pair of pants. You cannot be sure that the dress code won’t be enforced on his cruise.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Just read back though this thread and see that a number of posters here have seen people turned away for trying to wear shorts in the dining room.

If eating in the MDR is important to the original poster’s brother-in-law , the best thing to do is pack a pair of pants. You cannot be sure that the dress code won’t be enforced on his cruise.

I understand your point however with all due respect they do not say in what year they witnessed this style foul.  We have done 80+ days cruising with Princess and not seen anyone on the Alaskan, Hawaiian, California Coastal, Mexico or TA and British Isles cruises we were on turned away on Formal Nights or other nights for not explicitly following the dress suggestions.  

I believe the general tone of comments in this forum has been  that Princess has noticeably loosened their dress standards on formal nights.

I agree with the poster too who noted fear of a complaint or bad evaluation might make staff think twice about a conflict over dress since the styles very so widely on any given day or night.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I think you're making the assumption that weight is the reason why many guys no longer care to wear a jacket in the DR.

I believe it's more the fact that for years past is was considered mandatory but in todays world, it's now a choice left up to the individual- many choosing comfort over looks. 

Maybe not, but it seems like over the years luggage fees have been the convenient excuse.  If comfort is the benchmark, then how about flip flops and a bathrobe? ( I'm being sarcastic.  I can always find room for a sport coat - even when I ride a motorcycle to the cruise port )

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

I understand your point however with all due respect they do not say in what year they witnessed this style foul.  We have done 80+ days cruising with Princess and not seen anyone on the Alaskan, Hawaiian, California Coastal, Mexico or TA and British Isles cruises we were on turned away on Formal Nights or other nights for not explicitly following the dress suggestions.  

I believe the general tone of comments in this forum has been  that Princess has noticeably loosened their dress standards on formal nights.

I agree with the poster too who noted fear of a complaint or bad evaluation might make staff think twice about a conflict over dress since the styles very so widely on any given day or night.

I saw it happen in December on two different evenings on the Sky Princess.  My response is to the original poster whose brother-in-law only plans to wear shorts to dinner. I personally don’t care what he wears, but if he has no long pants he should be aware that he may not be able to eat in the MDR.

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

On our most recent Enchanted Princess cruise we did see a few folks turned-away on a dressy night.  The guys were wearing wife-beaters, shorts, and baseball caps.  Very classy indeed.

"Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge, and now here I am, on the grandest ship in the world, having champagne with you fine people."

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Maybe not, but it seems like over the years luggage fees have been the convenient excuse.  If comfort is the benchmark, then how about flip flops and a bathrobe? ( I'm being sarcastic.  I can always find room for a sport coat - even when I ride a motorcycle to the cruise port )

No excuse, it's just against my husbands principles to wear a jacket on a vacation. (or anywhere else for that matter)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Cruise line staff, for the most part, are reluctant to enforce dress codes for fear of receiving low by ratings on their cruise by evaluation surveys. 

Agree. Maybe the staff should get a bad rating on the PCS for not enforcing the dress code. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

"Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge, and now here I am, on the grandest ship in the world, having champagne with you fine people."

And enjoying a larger pour I'm sure!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, rbtan said:

We just came back from the December 20, 16-day Regent Splendor "Christmas on the Canal" cruise: dress code was not strict.  No one was in shorts for any dinner (formal, semi-formal, and non-formal nights); however, it was a mix of tuxedo, casual , and even less than casual on any given night including the New Year eve. 

Edited by kirtihk