Recent Luggage Service experiences

JSR

Hi

We are on an arctic cruise on the Silver Endeavour in June and will be given polar jackets and pants as well as having other cold weather clothing. After the cruise we will be traveling and will not need these clothes nor do we want to lug them around with us. We will not be in a rush to receive them at home but do want to make sure they make it from Tromso, Norway to Los Angeles. Has anyone used a luggage service from the ship recently and how was your experience?

Thank you for your help in this matter. 

Am in the inverse situation, boarding the Silver Cloud (for 39 days)  in Puerto William on March 7th with luggage restrictions to one carry on and one 50lb bag.  However, am continuting on from Capetown to Mahe and wanted to pack not only Antarctica/South Georgia clothes but snorkeling gear as well.  So researched both luggage free (does not service South america) and luggage forward (serves South America).  So in my situation am sending one large bag with luggage forward to Puerto Williams at the end of February.  Hope this helps and  enjoy the Arctic on the Endeavour!  btw, our terrific TA is based in Albuquerque.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bitob said:

I am a devout user of luggage forward. We always ship our luggage. They are the best   I’ve used them at least 12 times. Flawless service

After a week in Madrid in December without our luggage (one still unrecovered), we are thinking of using Luggage Forward for our next cruise.  My question:  would they deliver to the ship, and/or the hotel?  In your experience, which would be your best option?  Thanks for your help.

4 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

After a week in Madrid in December without our luggage (one still unrecovered), we are thinking of using Luggage Forward for our next cruise.  My question:  would they deliver to the ship, and/or the hotel?  In your experience, which would be your best option?  Thanks for your help.

I always fly in at least 2 days early and have the luggage delivered to my hotel. I email hotel and give them heads up. My luggage is always there at least a week before I arrive 

I think one can generalize to say that if Luggage Forward didn't deliver luggage to most customers, most of the time, on time, no one would use them and they wouldn't remain in business! But… as with any service, something can (and sometimes does) go wrong. Flights are cancelled, something is mis-sorted, and then the adventure is on to see if the luggage will get delivered on time.

As counterpoint to the several positive experiences posted above, we could point to other threads which report on luggage delivery woes with Luggage Forward — some minor, some major. I don't think anyone here has enough data to say whether your odds of a mishap are greater checking luggage on an airline or sending in advance with a luggage service; both get the vast majority bags to the right place, but both have failures.

If you have one or more connecting flights, and if those connections are in airports with a reputation for baggage woes (such as Amsterdam), your odds become worse, and using Luggage Forward can look better!

14 hours ago, cruiseej said:

If you have one or more connecting flights, and if those connections are in airports with a reputation for baggage woes (such as Amsterdam), your odds become worse, and using Luggage Forward can look better!

It seems this past December was mayhem at most airports.  Our flight from Syracuse to JFK was significantly delayed and we missed the connecting flight to Madrid.  Our carrier put us in another carrier and then, neither is taking responsibilities for the lost luggage.  My recommendation to those traveling with checked luggage...wait a day, if you have to, for the next flight to your destination in your original carrier.  Airlines' code sharing can be risky.