Water Taxi from cruise port

GotMINI

Anyone who's been to St Maarten recently and taken the water taxi?  I am looking for current rates.  Everything I've found is 2020 or older and probably no longer correct.  Also, what is the frequency that it runs?  Is it just 1 boat, or several that continually go back/forth from the cruise port?   

Was thinking of taking the water taxi to the farthest point along the beach/boardwalk area and then casually making our way back walking after lounging around somewhere.   Any recommendations on good beach spots along here are welcomed.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Take the Water Taxi and then stop at Miguel's on the way back.  Tell the hawkers you're going to Miguel's and they'll leave you alone.  Walk back along the boardwalk to the second water taxi stop, grabbing a gelato Gelateria Milano as you go.

• Like 1

Just now, GotMINI said:

Thanks @crewsweeper.   Any chance you know what the chair/umbrella rentals run at Miguel's?  Have heard recommendations for him elsewhere but have not seen any postings on rates.   

Nevermind...  saw your post on another thread.  Thanks.  

Hope I can jump in here. Just wondering how ‘busy’ the water taxis are. We’re arriving on Equinox at the same time as one of the RC mega ships. Does anyone have a similar experience and can tell me how long they queued.

There will be a line.  But the boats can take maybe 30 people. They start at 8AM SXM time and run until around 5PM.  But there are 3 boats I think.  The trip to the Captains wharf takes about 10 minutes.  They basically debark everyone, and embark any one getting on to head back  Then leave. I'm doubting many will be waiting at the second stop on the return that early so first thing might see all the boats picking up at the cruise pier.  We've never waited long at the cruise pier.  Our longest wait was 10 minutes at the America's Cup (second stop)place on an afternoon return to the cruise pier.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, RoperDK said:

If you have some mobility issues is the water taxi okay?  I've had knee replacement and not as spry as I used to be.

The crew of the water taxi are empathetic and very willing to assist boarding and disembarking.

A few Dollars in the tip box will be appreciated.

Insider Tip - For those with mobility issues only

On arriving at the entrance to the taxi area, ignore the queue to the left going up the slope to the pay booths - Shuffle/Stop/Shuffle/Stop - Then down the slope.

Walk straight ahead toward the water taxis (one can’t miss them).  Join the post payed queue to board (don’t worry). At the entrance to the taxi piers one will find a small “pay booth”.  Pay there and let them know you’ll require some assistance and the booth will organise.

Enjoy….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have a newbie St. Maarten question.  Where does the water taxi take you?  Is there a beach? Are there restaurants and bars near the beach?  After reading this post, I see there are 2 stops, which stop is more central to options I have listed.  Thanks

On 3/30/2023 at 1:04 PM, lele100 said:

I have a newbie St. Maarten question.  Where does the water taxi take you?  Is there a beach? Are there restaurants and bars near the beach?  After reading this post, I see there are 2 stops, which stop is more central to options I have listed.  Thanks

Usually it's the first stop and is where most people get off. The main pier in town...get off there.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:04 PM, lele100 said:

Link

https://st-maarten.com/index.php/island/beaches-st-maarten-st-martin/great-bay-beach-st-maarten

https://www.sint-maarten.net/place/beach/great-bay