Sad News for Expedition Cruisers

jpalbny

I just learned from Voldemort that one of our favorite naturalists, Robin Aiello, passed away on Friday.

We cruised with her to Svalbard back in 2011. Her energy and enthusiasm for her work was contagious. And she was a great zodiac driver as well! I hope that some of you got to travel with her on expeditions in the past.

Our favorite story from the Svalbard cruise. The ship was anchored off Kvitoya Island but we couldn't land because of a Polar Bear sighting. So Robin took us to the rocky shore and maneuvered the zodiac so that all of us could touch the rocks, and thus we could say that we had touched Kvitoya Island. Recap here:

From her brother:

Dear Friends of Robin

I am Robin's brother. At Robin’s request I am posting a message from her to all of you. As many of you knew, Robin had extensive open heart surgery over 12 years ago. It was a miracle she survived it then, and afterwards she continued on with her most amazing life of which each of you was a part. She always knew that her heart might suddenly fail at any time, and yet lived each day to the fullest. Our dear Robin passed away suddenly and unexpectedly from her heart condition on January 13, 2023 while staying at our home.

Robin specifically wrote that she does not want a funeral. She wanted each of us "to celebrate her life in their own special way." She left a message to be posted on her page in case this ever happened. I have posted it below. My family thanks each of you for sharing in Robin's life, bringing joy to her world and making it the incredibly special existence that it was.

From Robin to all:

"My dearest friends - I have loved you with all my heart, and will miss laughing and crying with you. But I will still be here for you when you need me - just look out to the ocean and know that I am close and that I am still loving you. Thank you for being such an amazing collection of souls, each with your own special spirits that have added so much to my life. It has been an amazing life, and I have loved every minute (well, almost every minute). Do not cry - but instead, find something really funny and have a massive belly laugh - I will hear you and laugh along with you. Be well, stay well and know that you still have a friend 'out there' who loves you very much!"
Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• jpalbny changed the title to Sad News for Expedition Cruisers

Thanks JP, enjoyed Robin in the Arctic in 2018 she was a marvelous Expedition Team member. Her brother's words and Robin's final farewell bove, reflect well her life wonderfully well lived.  As a friend said on the other site sharing this very sad news said, "Tomorrow is promised to no one."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sad news JP

We sailed a number of times with Robin and always enjoyed our times in the zodiac with her and also being entertained at dinner a number of times with her

I remember Capt Peter named a zodiac after her in the old days when she returned after her heart operations

RIP  Robin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We also travelled many times with Robin. truly a wonderful person and always seemed to be smiling.

i had many long talks with her on many and varied subjects. We only had one disagreement.She wouldn't believe that a shark would deliberately attack a human which I begged to differ with her having been very close to a shark's lunch. Saved because my younger brother was standing on a small cliff and saw the shark motoring towards me. I did as he suggested immediately got out of the water then turned to watch the final 50 metres of his fruitless pursuit. He swam by right below my feet,turned slightly on his side and I can still see the eye looking at me.

But all is forgiven Robin. I will not tell this story again. You will be sorely missed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I just learned from Voldemort that one of our favorite naturalists, Robin Aiello, passed away on Friday.

We cruised with her to Svalbard back in 2011. Her energy and enthusiasm for her work was contagious. And she was a great zodiac driver as well! I hope that some of you got to travel with her on expeditions in the past.

Our favorite story from the Svalbard cruise. The ship was anchored off Kvitoya Island but we couldn't land because of a Polar Bear sighting. So Robin took us to the rocky shore and maneuvered the zodiac so that all of us could touch the rocks, and thus we could say that we had touched Kvitoya Island. Recap here:

From her brother:

Dear Friends of Robin

I am Robin's brother. At Robin’s request I am posting a message from her to all of you. As many of you knew, Robin had extensive open heart surgery over 12 years ago. It was a miracle she survived it then, and afterwards she continued on with her most amazing life of which each of you was a part. She always knew that her heart might suddenly fail at any time, and yet lived each day to the fullest. Our dear Robin passed away suddenly and unexpectedly from her heart condition on January 13, 2023 while staying at our home.

Robin specifically wrote that she does not want a funeral. She wanted each of us "to celebrate her life in their own special way." She left a message to be posted on her page in case this ever happened. I have posted it below. My family thanks each of you for sharing in Robin's life, bringing joy to her world and making it the incredibly special existence that it was.

From Robin to all:

"My dearest friends - I have loved you with all my heart, and will miss laughing and crying with you. But I will still be here for you when you need me - just look out to the ocean and know that I am close and that I am still loving you. Thank you for being such an amazing collection of souls, each with your own special spirits that have added so much to my life. It has been an amazing life, and I have loved every minute (well, almost every minute). Do not cry - but instead, find something really funny and have a massive belly laugh - I will hear you and laugh along with you. Be well, stay well and know that you still have a friend 'out there' who loves you very much!"

Blessings and prayers and love 

• Thanks 1

Sadly, we only had one cruise with Robin, but it was a mere 60 days ago as she was the expedition biologist on our Cloud Falklands/South Georgia/Antarctica cruise.  She was an exceptional talent, and the brightest star among many on the expedition staff.  Her joy and enthusiasm was contagious.  May she rest in peace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Robin had an amazing eye for photography. She took some photos of some elephant seals flipping sand to keep the flies off. One  sand shot created a “halo effect” like a rainbow. I saw the photo and she asked if I would like a copy, of course, she airdropped ASAP. It was amazing then and now even more treasured! Thank you Robin. The  worlds loss, what an amazing person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1