Carrying Off Luggage

2 hours ago, manders175 said:

Thank you to everyone who actually answered my question in the original post. It got hijacked and wasn't even a question  about actual luggage. LOL. 

You should leave your bags in the halls on the last night and let the ship's personnel and porters do their job. Having your in-laws muscling hand-carry and luggage down the hall, into crowded elevators, through the line to leave the ship, [especially] down the uneven gangway, through the terminal, through the baggage hall is not appropriate. If MIL absolutely refuses, then everyone except MIL should put their bags out so someone can carry MIL's bag for her.

Under no circumstances should someone double up or triple up the bags they are handling because MIL refused to put her bag out. It is a hazard for you and other passengers around you. 

We're older and we are constantly being bumped and hit with luggage during disembarkation. And it is usually young families where macho dad is trying to move 3 pieces of luggage plus hand-carries while mom holds the hands of the kids and a Starbucks latte. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, manders175 said:

Thank you to everyone who actually answered my question in the original post. It got hijacked and wasn't even a question  about actual luggage. LOL. 

Well, one's ability to manage the luggage is a part of the decision to self-disembark.  

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You should leave your bags in the halls on the last night and let the ship's personnel and porters do their job. Having your in-laws muscling hand-carry and luggage down the hall, into crowded elevators, through the line to leave the ship, [especially] down the uneven gangway, through the terminal, through the baggage hall is not appropriate. If MIL absolutely refuses, then everyone except MIL should put their bags out so someone can carry MIL's bag for her.

Under no circumstances should someone double up or triple up the bags they are handling because MIL refused to put her bag out. It is a hazard for you and other passengers around you. 

We're older and we are constantly being bumped and hit with luggage during disembarkation. And it is usually young families where macho dad is trying to move 3 pieces of luggage plus hand-carries while mom holds the hands of the kids and a Starbucks latte. 

Be sure the MIL knows the rules /understands what'll happen with each disembarkation method -- then, as a family, make your choices.  

I have not been bumped or hit during self-disembarkation -- maybe because we're up and out the door early?  But, no, we've joined the line, which snakes through the dining room, and we've not seen a single person pushing or shoving.  

Another thought -- the idea of the young family made me remember this:  I've seen a couple young families boarding with a collapsible wagon.  Looks like a great idea to me.  I noted one young couple boarding at Port Canaveral -- the dad was pulling the wagon, which contained two fairly small boys + the family's backpacks /tote bags.  Mom was following, so she had a good view /could verify that the boys were staying in the wagon.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Do you know their ages or physical limitations to be able to make such a statement? 

• Like 1

We leave our bags out for others to struggle with unless we have a tight connection to make.  Then we pack accordingly and can handle what we bring.  Those elevator lines in some terminals are awful and probably waste any time you save however.  

I got a new Travel Pro 21 inch carry on after the handle on my old one wouldn’t retract.  It rolls easy but not if I put too much on top in a smaller bag over the handle.  I’m very guilty of over packing carryons “just in case”.  I have one of those small roller ones that fit under the seat too but can get a lot more in my pink duffle and stuff it under the seat.  We are soft side people due to my overpacking.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

How does she plan to get her luggage on the ship. Luggage must go through the scanner. It can be no larger than the carryon allowed by airlines.  Time for a get real talk. 

Previously I thought the security scanner would only manage smaller bags.  For our NYE cruise out of Port Canaveral T5 we arrived early but security staff did not; only one scanner was operating initially.  We were in line behind an extended family carrying all luggage aboard, including large bags.  Previously I’d have thought those big bags would not fit.  Yet when the family hefted those bags onto the conveyor belt, each cleared the opening.  Though they would fit, I still plan to check my larger bags with the porters.

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Ok, Score one for MP, 🥺, he took one swing and hit it out of the park. Going to be a long game. No more slowballs for you mister. Gotta up my game😤

Give it your best swing.  I'll give you a mulligan for your next attempt.  

BTW, I like this good natured back and forth.  Can you see this?  

14 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

How does she plan to get her luggage on the ship. Luggage must go through the scanner. It can be no larger than the carryon allowed by airlines.  Time for a get real talk. 

We have 25" suitcases that we carry on. They've  fit through the scanner at  every port. Where have you seen that to carry on a suitcase it has to be no larger than a carryon the Airlines allow?

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

14 hours ago, publicpersona said:

But since it did, I'll take the opportunity to ask for a recommendation.

I'm looking for a 21" carry-on spinner and "personal item" that mates with it well .. in terms of slipping it onto the 21" carry-on's telescoping handle. This is what you always see flight attendants and pilots with, but I've not found such sets online.

I do love Swiss Gear stuff, but would consider any brand.

14 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

This specific question might genuinely need a new thread. I am not sure where it fits in because it might be more airline related than cruise line related. Then again, many people have to fly in order to get to the cruise.

HELP?

The Swiss Gear backpack I got a couple of months ago has the strap to slide over the carryon's handle.  BUT, I wish it had a second strap a little higher up.  It "leans" away from the roller handle and I'm afraid over time either the elastic will stretch or break.  I'm trying to see if I can come up with a clip to attach the top backpack handle to the roller handle if I so desire.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The Swiss Gear backpack I got a couple of months ago has the strap to slide over the carryon's handle.  BUT, I wish it had a second strap a little higher up.  It "leans" away from the roller handle and I'm afraid over time either the elastic will stretch or break.  I'm trying to see if I can come up with a clip to attach the top backpack handle to the roller handle if I so desire.

My Vera Bradley bag has something similar ... it's called a Trolley Sleeve, and it's so convenient.  This picture's small but shows how it just slides over the rolling suitcase handle.  Love this detail, as it allows me to manage the family's luggage by myself.  

Screenshot 2023-01-16 12.19.06 PM.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Previously I thought the security scanner would only manage smaller bags.  For our NYE cruise out of Port Canaveral T5 we arrived early but security staff did not; only one scanner was operating initially.  We were in line behind an extended family carrying all luggage aboard, including large bags.  Previously I’d have thought those big bags would not fit.  Yet when the family hefted those bags onto the conveyor belt, each cleared the opening.  Though they would fit, I still plan to check my larger bags with the porters.

Yep , im with you on that one. Why would you want to shlep all your luggage around especially if you get on early and the rooms arent ready until 1 pm

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, renza said:

We always walk off with our luggage anytime we want. So easy. 

So do we . Usually around 8:30 am. We stroll right off .

The facial recognition speeds things up too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, loman said:

Yep , im with you on that one. Why would you want to shlep all your luggage around especially if you get on early and the rooms arent ready until 1 pm

Eh, I'm on the fence on this. 

Say you set foot on board at 11:00.  Most people either go sit by the pool or eat lunch, so you just have your luggage sitting next to you -- since it's on wheels, it's not hard to pull along.  You get a drink and relax a bit, and then the rooms are open.  It's not THAT LONG a time.  

The pro is that you have zero concern about whether anyone went through your stuff or when your bags will arrive.  

It's a pro-con thing.  If my husband didn't feel strongly about "putting our bags through" with the porters, I'd probably bring my bags onboard with me.  Of course, we are light packers, so it wouldn't exactly be difficult.  

7 minutes ago, loman said:

My husband is kinda insane about getting out-out-out on the last morning, so we get in line about 7:00.  We stand around 10-15 minutes until the line starts moving.  Once it moves, we might be walking slowly, but we don't stop.  Typically we're IN THE CAR, luggage stowed, heading North about 7:30-7:40.

That facial recognition is so fast.  The first time I used it, I genuinely didn't realize I was DONE and I didn't walk on.    

25 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The pro is that you have zero concern about whether anyone went through your stuff or when your bags will arrive.  

OK, I don't get it.  Where's the concern?

A) If someone wants to go through our luggage, all they're going to find is clothes, and not expensive ones at that.  OK, maybe some deodorant.  Anything of value, or anything we'll need before getting our luggage is with us in the carry ons.

B) Most anyone who flies has to give up their luggage to strangers.  So why are people so worried about porters going through the luggage?

I have ZERO concern about anyone going through my stuff when I leave luggage with the porters. 

• Like 1

Got off Royal Cruise in Oct and a Family, Man, Woman and young Child were carrying off their 2 large Suitcases and one smaller one. Well they decided to not wait for Elevator and take Escalator. Staff suggested they wait, you can imagine where this is going. He(6ft 250+ pounds) fell and rolled over top his Wife(5ft 2) and 6yrs old. Was a mess, screaming, Cuts, blood, someone finally hit emergency stop. We are almost half way down as I pulled back and trying hold these Heavy suitcases rolling back over/into them. Took 10 min to get passengers below off and them separated, he laying head first on top his Family, Mom screaming, Kid crying. As bags fell over into him I was behind and grabbed them holding by one of the wheels as they were rolling down. After it stopped Passengers above me all went back up as I'm wearing a Backpack squatted down, leaning head first barely holding on the whole time...

Edited by ONECRUISER

56 minutes ago, loman said:

We disembarked in Miami about a month ago (where we have used the facial recognition CBP stations since the terminal opened). CBP were not using the facial recognition systems and where hand checking all passports - and pulling people from the line to secondary screening which totally slowed things down. 

Hopefully, that was a limited, one time exercise to give CBP something to do. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Cigar King said:

One more thing to keep in mind is that the line for self-debarkation is often quite long.  

But fast. Last Friday on Anthem it look long, but started at 6:50am and we were off by 7:04.. CBP is automated in Bayonne, NJ.

We ALWAYS use it since it became available. This way I can get home earlier or work while driving and not waste PTO day.

Edited by Tatka

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Eh, I'm on the fence on this. 

Say you set foot on board at 11:00.  Most people either go sit by the pool or eat lunch, so you just have your luggage sitting next to you -- since it's on wheels, it's not hard to pull along.  You get a drink and relax a bit, and then the rooms are open.  It's not THAT LONG a time.  

The extended family ahead of me in NYE were not light packers.  Each adult had a large bag plus a carry on bag.  The ladies had their purses.  There were two small children, a stroller and kid stuff.  The stroller and luggage would probably fill an elevator without the humans and it could certainly cause blockages in dining or pool venues. They had flown in that morning, so the large luggage had been with an airline; it should not have contained valuables.

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

OK, I don't get it.  Where's the concern?

A) If someone wants to go through our luggage, all they're going to find is clothes, and not expensive ones at that.  OK, maybe some deodorant.  Anything of value, or anything we'll need before getting our luggage is with us in the carry ons.

B) Most anyone who flies has to give up their luggage to strangers.  So why are people so worried about porters going through the luggage?

I have ZERO concern about anyone going through my stuff when I leave luggage with the porters. 

All they are going to find in my luggage is dirty clothes.😆

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Give it your best swing.  I'll give you a mulligan for your next attempt.  

BTW, I like this good natured back and forth.  Can you see this?  

Unfortunately, I can see it,...time to take off my glasses......

All I see now is a mulligan....., I will take another swing, wait for it....., wait for it,,,,.

"Struck him out!"

Better put back on the glasses.😲

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

OK, I don't get it.  Where's the concern? ... I have ZERO concern about anyone going through my stuff when I leave luggage with the porters. 

I don't think it's common, but things can happen when you drop off your luggage.  

A story:  My sister and her husband cruised with first-time cruiser friends.  They warned their friends not to pack any electronics, but they didn't listen, and their ipad went missing.  They went to guest services, but since they couldn't prove the ipad ever existed, they didn't have a leg to stand on.  In the same trip, my brother-in-law became very angry with my sister because she'd failed to pack the Little Debbie oatmeal cookies he'd bought special for the trip -- no comments on whether it's smart to bring oatmeal cookies on a cruise.  When they got home, the cookies weren't in the house either, so someone took them.  

Again, I really don't think this is common.  

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Got off Royal Cruise in Oct and a Family, Man, Woman and young Child were carrying off their 2 large Suitcases and one smaller one. Well they decided to not wait for Elevator and take Escalator. Staff suggested they wait, you can imagine where this is going. He(6ft 250+ pounds) fell and rolled over top his Wife(5ft 2) and 6yrs old. Was a mess, screaming, Cuts, blood, someone finally hit emergency stop. We are almost half way down as I pulled back and trying hold these Heavy suitcases rolling back over/into them. Took 10 min to get passengers below off and them separated, he laying head first on top his Family, Mom screaming, Kid crying. As bags fell over into him I was behind and grabbed them holding by one of the wheels as they were rolling down. After it stopped Passengers above me all went back up as I'm wearing a Backpack squatted down, leaning head first barely holding on the whole time...

What a story!  Who'd have thought the dad would've been the weak link in that chain.  

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We disembarked in Miami about a month ago (where we have used the facial recognition CBP stations since the terminal opened). CBP were not using the facial recognition systems and where hand checking all passports - and pulling people from the line to secondary screening which totally slowed things down. 

Hopefully, that was a limited, one time exercise to give CBP something to do. 

Miami was definitely using facial recognition in September.  

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

But fast. Last Friday on Anthem it look long, but started at 6:50am and we were off by 7:04 ... 

Exactly.  Once you start moving, you don't stop. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't think it's common, but things can happen when you drop off your luggage.  

A story:  My sister and her husband cruised with first-time cruiser friends.  They warned their friends not to pack any electronics, but they didn't listen, and their ipad went missing.  They went to guest services, but since they couldn't prove the ipad ever existed, they didn't have a leg to stand on.  In the same trip, my brother-in-law became very angry with my sister because she'd failed to pack the Little Debbie oatmeal cookies he'd bought special for the trip -- no comments on whether it's smart to bring oatmeal cookies on a cruise.  When they got home, the cookies weren't in the house either, so someone took them.  

Again, I really don't think this is common.  

Again, you don't pack anything valuable or anything you can't afford to lose in your "checked" luggage.  

• Like 1

I can understand not wanting to hand over your luggage to other people.  I've had stuff stolen by airport baggage handlers.    Even if it isn't a $$$$ something, it can be annoying, for example, to arrive in Taiwan and not have sunglasses.  I also can not stand to turn my luggage over at a hotel.  I had one turd in Germany slam my suitcase down right in front of me breaking my Czech crystal vase.  He did that because I asked him to be gentle with it.  That said, we'll be checking our luggage both directions on the cruise.   I imagine the odds of petty thefts to be lower than say on a United flight.  I think we'll also do the zip-ties.   

20 hours ago, loman said:

Same here.  Based on flight we usually have a leisurely breakfast in the MDR and get off between 8-8:30. From the point of scanning our sea pass, getting our luggage and pass customs we are outside the terminal in the area of no more than 15 minutes.