Allure of the Seas dress code

PatricF

Of course you can dress nicer, but casual is fine for no cost dining, smart casual is accepted at premium/specialty dining. Suits and tuxes are mostly gone unless you are dining with the captain or other officers.

shorts, flip flops and swim suits are not allowed in most restaurants for dinner. Buffet and casual eateries on pool deck, promenade, and boardwalk are exceptions.

my wife is a slacks and top person every night. I take a suit, tie, and in colder climates a sports coat. Slack and dress shirts is the normal dress for dinners. Suit and Tie is for captains/ officers table and chefs dinner.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I came to ask the same question! The official "dress code" on the Royal Caribbean website seems wildly out of step with what people are describing in these forums.

What I would like to know is: What should we wear to the MDR, to speciality restaurants, and on formal nights that would "fit in" with the general norm of dress? Because it sounds like almost nobody is following the cruise line suggestion of wearing sport coats on "smart casual" nights and tuxedos on formal night.

My goal is not to get away with the most casual attire possible because I don't like feeling under-dressed; I just want to know what most people actually wear that doesn't get side-eye from other guests and staff.

giphy.gif

Edited by Kathamo
  • Like 1

There really is no "norm" on any night, even formal.  Yes, on formal nights some folks will kick it up. You do you and wear what you want. 

Short answer, anyone who side-eyes you, whether it's because they think you're over dressed or under dressed, isn't worth the time it takes to think about them.

• Like 4

Most of the comments here are vastly exaggerated.  90% of cruisers are respectful of others and dress appropriately. Seeing some one in shorts in the MDR for dinner is the oddity not the norm.   I have completely given up on dressing formal on formal night, my go to dress for MDR and specialty at night time is Docker pants casual Rockports and a nice non Hawaiian Hawaiian shirt.  Go to YouTube and check out your ship on formal night.  Allure is awesome, still our favorite Oasis Class.  happy cruising. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 10:38 AM, BigMikefromTexas said:

Of course you can dress nicer, but casual is fine for no cost dining, smart casual is accepted at premium/specialty dining. Suits and tuxes are mostly gone unless you are dining with the captain or other officers.

shorts, flip flops and swim suits are not allowed in most restaurants for dinner. Buffet and casual eateries on pool deck, promenade, and boardwalk are exceptions.

my wife is a slacks and top person every night. I take a suit, tie, and in colder climates a sports coat. Slack and dress shirts is the normal dress for dinners. Suit and Tie is for captains/ officers table and chefs dinner.

I saw a guy in basketball shorts and a jersey in Chops on Allure last year.  Saw him at another specialty restaurant wearing similar clothing on a

different night.  

Honestly, it would take a lot for them to deny service.  

11 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Most of the comments here are vastly exaggerated.  90% of cruisers are respectful of others and dress appropriately. Seeing some one in shorts in the MDR for dinner is the oddity not the norm.   I have completely given up on dressing formal on formal night, my go to dress for MDR and specialty at night time is Docker pants casual Rockports and a nice non Hawaiian Hawaiian shirt.  Go to YouTube and check out your ship on formal night.  Allure is awesome, still our favorite Oasis Class.  happy cruising. 

I don't understand the bolded.  How is what *I* wear respectful or disrespectful to *YOU*?  

Personally, I believe (for men) in slacks, closed toed shoes, and a collared shirt.  That's for *ME*.  If someone is wearing sandals, T-shirt, and gym shorts, that's on them.  I do my best to focus on my dining companions and what the conversation is.  I don't care what someone is wearing the next table over. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Respectfully disagree.   Shorts at dinner is not an oddity at all.

Someone choosing to wear a pair of shorts to dinner while in the Caribbean is hardly disrespectful to me and I take no offense for anyone wishing to be comforted after a day at the pool or beach.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

There are some guidelines, but most people here will tell you its ok to dress like you are going to walmart. So wear whatever you want. 

Do people dress a certain way to go to Walmart?   This is a new one to me.  I see folks in shorts and pants when I go to Walmart.  

Just now, topnole said:

Do people dress a certain way to go to Walmart?   This is a new one to me.  I see folks in shorts and pants when I go to Walmart.  

Have you not seen "the people of walmart"? There was some humor in my response that most would pick up on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, topnole said:

Respectfully disagree.   Shorts at dinner is not an oddity at all.

Someone choosing to wear a pair of shorts to dinner while in the Caribbean is hardly disrespectful to me and I take no offense for anyone wishing to be comforted after a day at the pool or beach.  

You should check out some YouTube videos of formal dinner night on cruise ships. A pair of shorts is virtually non existent. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We just came off the Allure in May. The dress code is very lax. 

Last Thursday we came off the Adventure of the Seas out of Galveston. The dress code was even more relaxed. Very few dressing up even on Formal Night.

Will say I thought it odd they had Formal Night scheduled for Super Bowl Sunday. Heck we never even made it to dinner.

Had Valentines Dinner in Chops. Young man at the table next to us was wearing shorts, flip flops, and a bright blue Blockbuster T Shirt. At least he had a Cowboy hat on.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jam0610 said:

We just came off the Allure in May. The dress code is very lax. 

Last Thursday we came off the Adventure of the Seas out of Galveston. The dress code was even more relaxed. Very few dressing up even on Formal Night.

Will say I thought it odd they had Formal Night scheduled for Super Bowl Sunday. Heck we never even made it to dinner.

Had Valentines Dinner in Chops. Young man at the table next to us was wearing shorts, flip flops, and a bright blue Blockbuster T Shirt. At least he had a Cowboy hat on.

The dress code is not lax, the adherence to it is what is lax. 

• Like 5

On odyssey last month I did something I had never expected to do - I wore shorts to dinner in the MDR.  After 50+ cruises,  I finally did it.  And I was definitely not an outlier.  There were shorts and slacks in about equal numbers.  It was not formal night.

• Like 2

Additional clarification:

I do enjoy dressing up a bit (emphasis on "a bit") and would not wear shorts to dinner in any setting outside my own home, so that's not a concern. One of my cruise companions asked if he really had to wear a suit on formal night, because he doesn't have any suits that fit him currently. Sounds like the answer is a resounding "no," so that's helpful. It also sounds like a collared shirt and pants, or a nice sundress for ladies, on formal night is not outside the norm.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I do think that what you choose to wear is a sign of respect to others, especially in a fine dining environment (say what you will about the MDR, but at its best, the intent is for it to feel like fine dining). I know that not everyone feels that way, so I'm not going to judge others' choices, but I personally want to be respectful to those that may care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2023 at 7:19 PM, PatricF said:

What are the recent dress codes on Allure of the Seas?  We sail from Galveston in April and would like to ask for anyone's experience.

There is no dress code. Most people dress resort casual some casual (shorts). Even on “formal night” there are very very very very very few who dress formally. Resort Casual to me is jeans/dockers, sneakers and a polo shirt or Hawaiian shirt. 

Here is the MDR on “Formal Night” on the Wonder of the Seas, flagship of the RCCL fleet. You see many more people in shorts on formal nights than tuxes. 

D836038E-349B-4A79-8D8C-73722918C9CB.png.62d393a8a7a63d2aedb3faaca93eecd9.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

You should check out some YouTube videos of formal dinner night on cruise ships. A pair of shorts is virtually non existent. 

Lots of shorts every night on our last two cruises, my husband included!  He detests dressing up but loves the MDR.  I see no reason he can’t enjoy both.  His shorts are clean and neat as is his polo or button down shirt.  He was certainly not alone in his choice.

• Like 1

On our last cruise there was a formal night, a Caribbean nigh, and a dress to impress night. I'd say 90% of the people dressed accordingly. On formal night and dress to impress night woman wore nice dresses (like one would wear going to a wedding) while men wore nice slacks white shirt and ties and the occasional suit coat. Saw no tuxes. This was the case in the MDR and specialty restaurants. On Caribbean night jeans with Hawaiian shirts were the norm. All other nights it was anything goes from shorts and t shirts to dress up in the MDR. Most men had jeans and collared shirts and women wore date night clothes. Nobody cares what you or anyone else is wearing. Have a great time. 

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Please explain.  Why do so many people pay attention to those OTHER than in their dining party? 

This has been the case in most human societies for centuries. I can’t explain it; it just is what it is. Maybe a sociologist will have more insight. 

• Like 1